Ouachita National Forest, Ozark National Forest & Mark Twain National Forest Highlights Request

• HTML tutorial

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Finally did exploration trip to Ozark national forest. Stopped at famous ozark Cafe for Excalibur burger. The trail was light to medium intensity but camp site is awesome. A few creek crossings nothing very deep. 3 places got a little tight to make me worry about pinstripes. I will share pics, video and GIA GPS data later

Attachments

Reactions: MidwestVoyager

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Finally did exploration trip to Ozark national forest. Stopped at famous ozark Cafe for Excalibur burger. The trail was light to medium intensity but camp site is awesome. A few creek crossings nothing very deep. 3 places got a little tight to make me worry about pinstripes. I will share pics, video and GIA GPS data later
Here are few pics from the trail to camp siteIMG_9507.JPGIMG_9517.JPGIMG_9518.JPGIMG_9526.JPGIMG_9527.JPGIMG_9528.JPGIMG_9529.JPGIMG_9531.JPGIMG_9507.JPGIMG_9517.JPGIMG_9518.JPGIMG_9526.JPGIMG_9527.JPGIMG_9528.JPGIMG_9529.JPGIMG_9531.JPG

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
I shared some pics previous that shows tight spots but here are pics of camp will share video later. It was worth the drive and cringes. Remember "Adventure is Necessary" I will get video and GIA GPS up once i can get chance.IMG_9537.JPGIMG_9538.JPGIMG_9540.JPGIMG_9541.JPGIMG_9543.JPGIMG_9544.JPGIMG_9545.JPGIMG_9546.JPGIMG_9550.JPGIMG_9551.JPG

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Okay uploaded video to Youtube. not a expert video blogger but hope other will enjoy. will try to get GIA GPS info up next.

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
Looks awesome! I'm looking forward to your GAIA post. If your campsite by the waterfall isn't a secret, I would love to mark that as a spot to check out.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I was out that way last October and I ran across a few nice spots. Blanchard Springs Rec. Area was particularly nice.

I left Byrd Recreation Area after the Ozarks Rendezvous and ate at a neat place Oark General Store. There was a line! But worth the wait.
1597677164869.png

Reactions: Grindstone

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Next I headed towards the aforementioned Blanchard Spring/Cavern but I didn't make it before dark and I pulled into Gunner Pool Rec. Area and set up in the dark.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/osfnf/recarea/?recid=43443

Leaving there I went up on the North Fork of the White River or Norfork. Stayed two nights at Dam/Quarry Campground to fish some below the Norfork Dam. More RVs but quiet. WAter was high but caught couple nice browns. Then headed over to the White River near the famous Cotter, Ark. for some serious trout fishing. Found a nice spot up on Bull Shoals Lake just above the Dam at Lakeview.
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232619 It is COE operated and very clean, shaded and quiet.

Last stop I finally made it to Blanchard Springs for a very scenic last night in Arkansas. A last picture of Byrds Campground down on the Mulberry River...before all the people showed up and I left!
1597679985898.png

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
okay anybody able to help share GIA GPS info. struggling to get it shared. here is snip and no dont mind sharing. We want to go back again so open to maybe group rendezvous to camp could get at least 3 rigs comfortable.

1597880488678.png

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
You should be able to click your name in the top right hand it will give you a drop down. If you recorded your track, select “tracks” from the dropdown and I think there is an option somewhere after that to share a link possibly or you can export your tracks into a gps file.

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Thank you midwestvoyouger. i finally got track downloaded and have attached. let me know if get and it works. we enjoyed so much want to go back to site and it is pretty big so if any one wants to plan small group trip We are game

GPX viewer

Attachments

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
looking at trying to go back 2nd or 3rd weekend in September. Anybody up for group trip?

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
We signed up for Rendezvous in the Ozarks in mid-October and will be in the area from the 15th though the 19th or 20th for that. I've downloaded those tracks as well (THANK YOU for that!) and plan to poke around a bit as time permits while we're up there. If the event happens to get cancelled for some reason, which wouldn't surprise me one bit, then we'll dig into them more on this trip. If not, then they will definitely be used again in the future. Really looking forward to spending some time in the area.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
I am doing a first run up to Ouachita starting out from Houston very early Thursday, will be in the area until Tuesday.

More of a test run to check out the area, identify some decent dispersed sites.

However, I cringe at the potential crowd headed out for Labor Day...ugh.

Anybody in the area who wants to meet up, happy to, just drop me a note

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Dang I am headed to lake with boat and family otherwise would convince wife to go. Have fun be safe and enjoy

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
Thank you midwestvoyouger. i finally got track downloaded and have attached. let me know if get and it works. we enjoyed so much want to go back to site and it is pretty big so if any one wants to plan small group trip We are game

GPX viewer
That GPX file worked great. Was Spainhour Falls the spot you camped at?