Ouachita and Ozark National Forest

• HTML tutorial

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

What area do you usually go to in the Ouachitas?
Breifly to the Mena area, but that trip got cut short by a massive rain storm. I ran part of the K-Trail in the ouachitas and I have been to the part of the ouachitas around Broken Bow. Everytime I have been there I have seen a ton of trails to run that I didn't have time to do. When I was in the Ozarks I had a few trails marked on my maps that were supposed to be open (according to forest service website) and I kept hitting gates and closed signs. I was in the area surrounding White Rock mountain.

William M. W.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, AR
First Name
William
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Great thread! Ive been to both forests. I think I like the Ouachitas better so far. Planning on going up to camp over memorial day weekend in the Ouachita national forest.
Oh yeah!! Ouachita is one of my favorite places in all of the central US! I wish I lived closer to there. I could spend a full year out there and still not see it all.

My dad ended up building a camping spot into the hill side in there. We later came back and capped the spring right next to it to make it run out of a pipe for constant fresh water at camp!

Rafter G

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Galloway
Member #

I don't know how I didn't see this until now, because I searched for Ouchita several times. Then again, I've been spelling it without the "a" so there's my problem. Anyway, I just created a Rally Point for mid June if anyone wants to join. I have a route planned, but it's lose and subject to change. We're going from Broken Bow to the Buffalo River.
keep us posted on the meet up in June

Reactions: William M. W.

Wandering Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Kieliszewski
Member #

I don't know how I didn't see this until now, because I searched for Ouchita several times. Then again, I've been spelling it without the "a" so there's my problem. Anyway, I just created a Rally Point for mid June if anyone wants to join. I have a route planned, but it's lose and subject to change. We're going from Broken Bow to the Buffalo River.
I just saw a post about that. I am very interested, I just have to make sure work doesn’t get in the way.

Rafter G

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Galloway
Member #

Breifly to the Mena area, but that trip got cut short by a massive rain storm. I ran part of the K-Trail in the ouachitas and I have been to the part of the ouachitas around Broken Bow. Everytime I have been there I have seen a ton of trails to run that I didn't have time to do. When I was in the Ozarks I had a few trails marked on my maps that were supposed to be open (according to forest service website) and I kept hitting gates and closed signs. I was in the area surrounding White Rock mountain.
would you happen to have a .gpx file of the K trail? I have been trying to find it but no luck.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Love those areas. They're pretty much my go to spots since I live east of Dallas. Doesn't take long to get up there. I ran the Clayton trail a while back when It still connected to the Ktrail. Went back out there a few month ago and where they are putting in the new Wind Farm they bulldozed the trail intersection and pushed a big pile of felled trees over onto the Clayton to block access to the K Trail. Still haven't figured out who to contact about that, doesn't seem right.

Reactions: joshjunior

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Love those areas. They're pretty much my go to spots since I live east of Dallas. Doesn't take long to get up there. I ran the Clayton trail a while back when It still connected to the Ktrail. Went back out there a few month ago and where they are putting in the new Wind Farm they bulldozed the trail intersection and pushed a big pile of felled trees over onto the Clayton to block access to the K Trail. Still haven't figured out who to contact about that, doesn't seem right.
West side of k trail near clayton has been closed for a few years now only the east side is open past indian highway

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
West side of k trail near clayton has been closed for a few years now only the east side is open past indian highway
Coulda fooled me. I was on it in March of this year. No signage. We were driving though when construction crews were cutting the road wider. Guy in a dozer even moved a large boulder for us. No one said anything to us about it being closed. Saw other vehicles with in state tags on it closer to the Indian Highway as well.

[emoji2369]

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Coulda fooled me. I was on it in March of this year. No signage. We were driving though when construction crews were cutting the road wider. Guy in a dozer even moved a large boulder for us. No one said anything to us about it being closed. Saw other vehicles with in state tags on it closer to the Indian Highway as well.

[emoji2369]
Call the oklahoma game warden last time i was up about 6 months ago he was handing out tickets, supposedly its now private property. Possibly things have changed or the workers didnt care.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Check the mvum for sure. They don't really post much signage from what I recall. Here's someone that knows the area well and a great advocate in the area
Years ago the area the k trail is in was part of the national forest since then its been sold off to private individuals and timber companys so a mvum likely won't do much good. There are no signs because folks keep ripping them down in protest.

Reactions: joshjunior