Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

I want to better learn, and teach my kids, orienteering. Like with an actual compass and stuff. Anybody else into it? Should I just start with a YouTube video and go outside? What about the actual compass? Anything to consider there?

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I want to better learn, and teach my kids, orienteering. Like with an actual compass and stuff. Anybody else into it? Should I just start with a YouTube video and go outside? What about the actual compass? Anything to consider there?
I'm sure a quick google search will provide videos, articles, books etc on it. Interesting topic, I don't know much about it other then using a compass and look at the sun :D

Reactions: Ubiety and kilby

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My son is 7. We have done a few orienteering courses.

Last year I took him to a class provided by our state park.

It was entry level and showed how easy it is to get started.

I bought my son a compass at Wal-Mart and printed the maps for him.

We already had to change his stride for measurements as he is growing fast.

The easiest thing to do is go buy orange cones, or one of the baseball plate set at dollar tree.

Set up a small course. Say over a 25 yard area. Make it bring you right back to were you started.

Start in a flat spot that you can actually see them

Then go bigger to include the topography so you can not see them.

Orienteering at the challenging level ia actually a race.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Always a good skill. I am no expert but my father first started showing me. Then I used the army infantry manual. Then sort of on my own of youtube.

Maybe I should hit an REI or state park course. You always pick something up.

As for the compass? I bought a Silva Ranger Type 15 CL back in the 1980's. Friggin GREAT compass but they dont make them anymore. Closest thing to that today is the Silva Ranger CL, but I heard the manufacturer and quality is less. Maybe the Brunton Tru Arc15, or Suunto MC-2G or M-3D.

A good way to find north if you are going to stay at one site for a couple hours is use a couple sticks and draw a line between the tips of the shadows from hour zero to hour 2. And a line 90 degrees from that is north-south

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Orienteering is a valuable skill to have, and is a fun thing on its own. A basic $20 Suunto compass will work fine to get started. I still have mine after 25 years.
Rad! I just ordered a Suunto, but kind of like bikes and watches I can envision an N+1 scenario with these tools.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Always a good skill. I am no expert but my father first started showing me. Then I used the army infantry manual. Then sort of on my own of youtube.

Maybe I should hit an REI or state park course. You always pick something up.

As for the compass? I bought a Silva Ranger Type 15 CL back in the 1980's. Friggin GREAT compass but they dont make them anymore. Closest thing to that today is the Silva Ranger CL, but I heard the manufacturer and quality is less. Maybe the Brunton Tru Arc15, or Suunto MC-2G or M-3D.

A good way to find north if you are going to stay at one site for a couple hours is use a couple sticks and draw a line between the tips of the shadows from hour zero to hour 2. And a line 90 degrees from that is north-south

Yeah the stick shadows would be a cool visualization for realtime. We do a lot of stargazing at night, and I've shown the kids how to use the big dipper to find the north star.

Reactions: Ubiety

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yeah the stick shadows would be a cool visualization for realtime. We do a lot of stargazing at night, and I've shown the kids how to use the big dipper to find the north star.
Funny how everyone expects the North Star to be this bright shining light, when in reality, Polaris has a magnitude hovering around 2.

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety and kilby

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Funny how everyone expects the North Star to be this bright shining light, when in reality, Polaris has a magnitude hovering around 2.
Yeah some darker nights, you REALLY have to look for it. When it has a lot of competition. Maybe we need a thread on telescopes!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah some darker nights, you REALLY have to look for it. When it has a lot of competition. Maybe we need a thread on telescopes!
There is a thread about stargazing. I think telescopes are in there too.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The hardest part is making the correct adjustment for magnetic north from true north.

If you are setting up a course to learn. Set up one that goes follows magnetic north 25 paces then east 25 paces then south 25 paces. Then west 25 paces.

Then begin to go to degrees and more paces. All in a flat view area.

Then go to topography so you can hide the marker from view.

Maps and compasses are so much fun.

You can draw them very easy. And they can be found even easier. With a computer you can print it right off for your location.

The links I provided will take you to courses. Most states have some permanent ones. Our state parks (pre covid) would set up temporary ones twice a year.

I have been wanting to get into orienteering the sport more...just not enough time

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Another source to watch is the REBELLE RALLY

they have been showing some technique training lately also.

It is vehicle based...but it is the same principals.

It is obviously for women, but their blogs and Facebook page give links to training.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This subject matter is whole school year of information... I taught Land Navigation in the Army. (Referenced in the manuals above.). I held (if not hold) the fastest Land Nav time (and score) at the Fort Bliss WLC Land Nav Course. 39/40 points in under an hour... I ran through the corse and the compass stayed in my pocket most of the time.
To get good at it you have to practice. You need a good lensetatic compass... and a detailed topographic map of the area you want to practice in.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
As well as the Army’s Land Nav manual, I would recommend picking up a copy of Harold Gatty‘s Finding your Way Without Map or Compass.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Excellent thread! Thank you! Have been wanting to get back to the manual processes for a while now.

Reactions: kilby

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The hardest part is making the correct adjustment for magnetic north from true north.
On this all else depends. This declination adjustment changes a degree every 5 years or so. So, what I had my compass set to in 1985 is not going to be accurate today. I think in the Northeast we are already at about 20 degrees of declination, with true north being more west.

If this is not set, then no matter how accurate your work and math, you will be way off. If you walked 10 miles in a straight line, but were off course by only 1 degree, you would be something like a thousand feet off the mark. Clearly you should take new bearings more often than 10 miles, but it's just an example. An error of 5 degrees puts you off by almost 5,000 feet - that amounts to nearly a mile!
So make sure your declination is properly set