Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have that same bahco knife (and the saw that goes with it), good stuff.

I love gear organization! For some reason seeing how people organize and pack gear into a vehicle is enjoyable to me. Some kind of strange OCD therapy.

I need to take a new picture of how I pack into my vehicle, I will do that this friday. Maybe I should shoot video, hrm. Going out for a 'bug out' style camp at the range, and then the next morning is a 'zombie cull' shoot. Will be below freezing, so I will be making use of my new -35 degree bag.

For me its "Outfit, Organize and Explore."

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'm not sure this trip will be best for recording or showing my usual setup. This is just a camping at the gun range type trip, single weekend. So the load out is different and pretty messed up. The damn cold weather sleeping bag is STUPID huge... im sure it will be nice but the thing is totally impractical and now way I could fit the dang thing on a week long trip with four of us in the rig.

In this picture, you can see the tent pole back behind the 2nd row seats, on the cargo barrier. Also a sleeping pad. Usually the 2nd row middle on the floor is where a cooler/fridge goes, but its just gun stuff this time.

I don't know what else to say about the damn -35degree bag... wtf.

Front runner water jerry on the left, behind that is the camp kitchen, stove, all the kitchen tools, first aid, lighting, tent cleaning brush, food, propane storage, the works. On the right is the misc bin, it is usually food, dry goods, a few tools. This trip is cold, dispersed camping near a woods line in below freezing temps and 15-25 mph winds, so its a couple axes, saw, buddy heater, but mostly empty. I have the tan bag, thats my canvas tent, 10'x10' Kodiak canvas flexbow. Also big and heavy (hey.. i like heavy duty gear). Its sitting on the front runner stainless prep table. Fire extinguisher always mounted to the driver side of the cargo barrier, big first aid kit on the passenger side. My rifle bag is between the lower cases.

Without that dang teton bag.. i have tons of space.. and this trip I have nothing on the roof rack. If you have seen my huge pelican 1730's on (EO)2 mounts.. you know I can fit a lot more up top.

Last edited:

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

mbwesner did I see an Alps self inflating matteress? What's your thoughts on this piece of gear? I was looking for something like this, but some reviews turned me off.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

mbwesner did I see an Alps self inflating matteress? What's your thoughts on this piece of gear? I was looking for something like this, but some reviews turned me off.
Yes, I have the Alps mountain series XL and XLL pads. The wife and I use the XXL, they are a little thicker, but honestly I think the XL is enough. Even a couple years ago when I was heavier i could sleep on my side and not feel the ground at all. As with lots of my gear.. it is a bit large, but they are super comfortable. They also seem to be very sturdy. I haven't had them leak on me at all, they hold the air easily. You can sleep on them with the valves open if you want, the foam is enough to keep them pretty comfy. I would recommend them. I know that we have lots of options for air pads, but i find most of them to be pretty weak.. like hiking style things. Not that comfy. These are.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I love seeing how people get out of town so quickly and what storage solutions they use to do so. For me Having a trailer is the simplest of ways. Everything I need goes on the trailer and the things that go in my jee sit under the trailer to easily grab and go. The only things that slow me down are having small children going through cloths all the time (4 month old currently wearing 6-9 month clothing) and food prep. I'm a foody and having fresh food is essential for me as I'm the main cook in my household which means I also make the meal plan. Which does usually consist things I like to eat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: WillRunner

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I love seeing how people get out of town so quickly and what storage solutions they use to do so. For me Having a trailer is the simplest of ways. Everything I need goes on the trailer and the things that go in my jee sit under the trailer to easily grab and go. The only things that slow me down are having small children going through cloths all the time (4 month old currently wearing 6-9 month clothing) and food prep. I'm a foody and having fresh food is essential for me as I'm the main cook in my household which means I also make the meal plan. Which does usually consist things I like to eat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

My kids are 6 and 7, and yes.. the roof rack becomes a drying rack for kids clothes. I hear you.

I love to cook and eat well on trips, but I also try and force myself to do some easier meals too or I spend a crazy amount of time just cooking, prepping, cleaning dishes, etc. Gets to be time consuming and consumes lots of water for cleaning.

I am such a gear junky, I know it would be trouble for me to own a camp trailer. I do enough damage with what I can cram into my LR4.

KYRenegade858

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nicholasville, KY
Member #

I'm not sure this trip will be best for recording or showing my usual setup. This is just a camping at the gun range type trip, single weekend. So the load out is different and pretty messed up. The damn cold weather sleeping bag is STUPID huge... im sure it will be nice but the thing is totally impractical and now way I could fit the dang thing on a week long trip with four of us in the rig.

In this picture, you can see the tent pole back behind the 2nd row seats, on the cargo barrier. Also a sleeping pad. Usually the 2nd row middle on the floor is where a cooler/fridge goes, but its just gun stuff this time.

I don't know what else to say about the damn -35degree bag... wtf.

Front runner water jerry on the left, behind that is the camp kitchen, stove, all the kitchen tools, first aid, lighting, tent cleaning brush, food, propane storage, the works. On the right is the misc bin, it is usually food, dry goods, a few tools. This trip is cold, dispersed camping near a woods line in below freezing temps and 15-25 mph winds, so its a couple axes, saw, buddy heater, but mostly empty. I have the tan bag, thats my canvas tent, 10'x10' Kodiak canvas flexbow. Also big and heavy (hey.. i like heavy duty gear). Its sitting on the front runner stainless prep table. Fire extinguisher always mounted to the driver side of the cargo barrier, big first aid kit on the passenger side. My rifle bag is between the lower cases.

Without that dang teton bag.. i have tons of space.. and this trip I have nothing on the roof rack. If you have seen my huge pelican 1730's on (EO)2 mounts.. you know I can fit a lot more up top.
You need to look at the Army cold weather sleep system. Nice set of bags and they are decently priced for the most part on the surplus market. A lot of decent ones to be found due to the camo swaps over the last 10 years. I picked up six bdu pattern bags at an auction a few years ago and sold two to a friend; keeping the other four for us to use. The two paid for what I gave for all of them together. And he paid less for the two than he could buy one on amazon as well. All six bags were unissued, which was a plus as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: blackntan

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Army cold weather sleep system
I looked at those. They may pack smaller, true. But honestly all the layers and the style didn't interest me a lot. I am sure they would work, but maybe not my style. My style seems to be a pain in the ass sometimes.. and large, but the canvas covering is amazing, and the flannel inside is so nice.. haha.. im sure I will love everything but the pack size. I don't think the rest of my family is interested in cold weather camping anyway, so if its just for my crazy solo trips I can deal with a huge bag. I will see how it does this weekend. I have until Mar 9 to return it.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

What kind of bins are you packing? Are they water tight?
I use Pelican 1730 Transport cases on the roof rack (EO)2 setup. They are water tight (you could throw them in a lake and they would stay dry). They have an over pressure valve on them also. Inside I use a 1630 case, which is also water tight, but has the two layers of dividers that fit all my gear. I also use a regular Plano case with wheels on the passenger side as a dry goods and tools box.

This is a very old picture, I have a lot more crap in here and usually don't have the fans, but it shows the dividers. i don't have the pouches on the lid yet in this pic.

Pelican 1639 Lid Organizer (For 1630 case)
Pelican 1635 Padded Divider set (for 1630 case)

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I'm using this cheap 50L box, it's something like 1 foot tall, 1 foot wide and 2 feet long, don't know if it's watertight and don't plan on finding out.

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I use Pelican 1730 Transport cases on the roof rack (EO)2 setup. They are water tight (you could throw them in a lake and they would stay dry). They have an over pressure valve on them also. Inside I use a 1630 case, which is also water tight, but has the two layers of dividers that fit all my gear. I also use a regular Plano case with wheels on the passenger side as a dry goods and tools box.

This is a very old picture, I have a lot more crap in here and usually don't have the fans, but it shows the dividers. i don't have the pouches on the lid yet in this pic.

Pelican 1639 Lid Organizer (For 1630 case)
Pelican 1635 Padded Divider set (for 1630 case)

Defnitely need to get some boxes like these for the back of my truck. Seems my camper cap has a small leak in it

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Storage is of a premium in some trucks Nets hung from the roof and sides can make the most of space i use webbing in the roof and cargo netting on the sides

Reactions: HEYElliott

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg View attachment 18245
Thats a neat idea actually.... any ideas on how to fasten one to the roof?
I lucky enough to have a aluminium back cover so i drilled through the fabriction frame and installed hooks and eyes The nets hook on , my first attempt was with a net from a jeep , it was to sloppy and the gear i stowed to heavy so it hung down to low webbing works better , i also used threaded bar hooks so i could tighten as nessesary
Great for stowing sleeping bags spare coats etc i also install a couple of small framed nets ideal for gloves and small stuff BnT