Vancouver, BC
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BKC
The least they should do is send you a new one. So far my is working great I have only tested it at home so far but plan to take it out camping soon, once this summer heat in NW Florida finally breaks and we get some fall weather!
But have you tried to charge it with 12volts?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Mine worked flawlessly for a week camping with solar and my fridge ( I did charge it once driving).....

Jim
Did it (your battery) need the charge or did the solar do it's job and not need assistance from your car generator ?

BrianP

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, BC
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BKC
For clarity to your question, Do you mean has he tried to POWER the refer with a 12v system ?
To be clearer, did you charge the Flexopower battery unit off of your 12 volt car system? Mine will not charge off of my car battery.

Brian

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
To be clearer, did you charge the Flexopower battery unit off of your 12 volt car system? Mine will not charge off of my car battery.

Brian
My mistake, I was in the wrong conversation with that question, sorry, but you did clarify the question for me though..

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

Brian
Not yet, I will need to run it down some since I just charged with A/C to D/C charging adapter that came with it. Question, when you tried charging it with your car was your car running? A 12V batter won't just charge off another 12V battery, the car would have to be running getting higher voltage than 12V coming from the alternator.

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

Just a follow up, new unit arrived today. Can't say enough good things about South African service. USA service sucked. Can't quite speak to the longevity of the product, my first one went dead in 5months so let's see how this one fairs. My .02 to anyone with a problem is to try and reach the USA service but if you don't get an answer contact the South African service as they are significantly more helpful.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just a follow up, new unit arrived today. Can't say enough good things about South African service. USA service sucked. Can't quite speak to the longevity of the product, my first one went dead in 5months so let's see how this one fairs. My .02 to anyone with a problem is to try and reach the USA service but if you don't get an answer contact the South African service as they are significantly more helpful.
Sorry you had a problem you shouldn't have had. USA service seems to have gone down hill more than it should. Personally I'm tired of getting people on the phone that only thinks they speak English. Just my .02 cents.

Reactions: Viking1204

BrianP

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, BC
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BKC
Excellent!! I'll be calling them.

Brian

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I can tell you that immediately the LED lights are not accurate. My fridge has been going for 24hrs. Shows full bars, out a charge to it and it moved to charging the 3rd bar. Seems like no one who owns one will get away from the fault led lights. As long as it allows me to charge it I am ok with it though.

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Taking advantage of this thread, do any of you know if the Jakery Portable Power 240 () is reliable and delivers what it promises? I'm looking for a middle-range portable power station. Any brand recommendation?

Last edited:

Cool Feet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Keeler
I ordered the Flexopower unit last May and it's total junk. It stopped charging after 1 week on the road. I sent the unit back to Flexopower and had to pay postage for the return. They sent me another unit that will not power my Arb 60 liter fridge. It keeps the fridge on for about a half-day and stops working.

Flexopower has been unresponsive in resolving the issue.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I ordered the Flexopower unit last May and it's total junk. It stopped charging after 1 week on the road. I sent the unit back to Flexopower and had to pay postage for the return. They sent me another unit that will not power my Arb 60 liter fridge. It keeps the fridge on for about a half-day and stops working.

Sorry to hear that, my Flexopower will power my Costway 53 qt. for almost two full days.

Cool Feet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Keeler
Not sure what the issue is with the unit. I connected a 3-year-old Canadian Tire 70 ah AGM battery to my Arb this week and it lasted 2 full days. The battery is old and abused. I have a 4 year-old LifeLine AGM battery that I will test tonight. I contacted Flexopower in South Africa to see if they can help with the problem. They are closed until the Coronavirus issue calms down.

The quality of the Flexopower unit looks and feels good. It works great for charging cell phones. However, I bought it as a battery-backup for my AGM solar system.

Cool Feet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Keeler
Where did you get this info? Not to be contentious, but AH rating is AH rating. Discharging a lithium battery too far can cause issues. Trust me, I design battery solutions for military and space. The battery should shut down to prevent discharging too far, since this can be dangerous, as in it may catch fire and explode when you recharge. That is why every battery pack carries an onboard computer that monitors the charge state and is supposed to shut down if it is charged too fast, overcharged too far or discharged too far.

I will look into these battery packs and get back with further "FACTS"

Back with facts... This unit will give you that number of AHs before protecting itself. 40AH is not that much capacity and is based upon the battery voltage, not 120V. So it will not give you 40 amps at 120v for an hour.

If you read the fine print, it is 444 watt hours. If your cooler pulls a constant 3 amps at 12 volts you should be able to run for approximately 444/(3x12)= 12.3 hours under ideal conditions. Now you have to figure in the duty cycle of the fridge, in other words how much of the time is it actually "on". If it is actually providing cooling one third of the time, then you should be able to run around 37 hours if running from the 12v outlet. If running from the 120v volt outlet, it will be less due to the losses in the conversion process. I would estimate the losses to be around 20% for a well designed inverter, with 90% being exceptional.

While it is a very nice, small, and handy unit, it is not the answer to everybody's needs. For what it costs, if you have the space, you could put an additional dual deep cycle battery setup in your rig and have several times more capacity, and add an inverter for the 120v.
I know this is an old post, but this really helps. I have a 60 liter Arb fridge freezer. We like to keep it cold for meat and cheese. The average power is supposed to be .5 amps per hour. I think it's more like 2 amps per hour as we keep it cold. According to your calculations, my fridge should stay on for 20 hours. I will give this a try tonight.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

I have 2 of them and love them and they work great for me and power my fridge/freezer for a few days.....