Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I love this build! I used to have a 1999 Trooper until about 3 years ago. Great trucks!

Reactions: utherjorge

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

So, it's been some time since I updated. There's more to do as I slowly get it ready for the spring and summer fun. Here's the current update for how she looks:

Sorting out the electrical has been a bit of a pain, especially as I got a new battery with dual terminals...only for it to last three days. I think I have it solved. Still dual terminals, which allows me to have the winch and stock lines (upgraded with thicker gauge last summer) up top, and the accessories on the front. Much cleaner and more organized.

Swapped out the old plastic headlights for the glass ones here, which took a lot of fooling around with...but they're done.

I removed the lenses for the side marker/turn signals and in their place put Rough Country LED pods with white DRLs. The turn signals will be relocated to the bumper using Xprite JK LEDs. Did you know that 3 inch lights to not fit in a 3 inch hole? Must be the new math...but that's slowed me some, too.

Also did some bolt removal as old stuff was rusted and some new stuff was Chinesium grade zero (seriously...I've never seen a bolt strip like that).

I also have a new grille to match the new lights, though I have to cut it to make room for the winch that you can make out there.

Minor things for the rear (wiring up the chase light, fixing the swing arm latch) to come. Medium upgrade to come with sliders. Major upgrade to come with adding a cool mod to it...maybe by summer?

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

More update fun. Had more unsexy things done, like tranny fluid change, ditto for power steering fluid. Oil change, stuff like that. I have a steering wheel shake/shudder/clunk I am unhappy about and it's not fixed or resolved, so that's got to get done.

I am remiss in discussing the lighting stuff I've done; I can do another post later. The pods on the hood are in and done, and wired in. The big round ones on the bumper are still in and on. The DRLs from Rough Country continue to blow 30-amp fuses like it's their job, so that is a work in progress. I actually think it's the switch, but they are sending me a whole new kit for free, so I'll reserve judgement until the new lights come.

Since the last post, I have the new Odyssey AGM battery in and that's working fine. But not sexy!

Just a quick pic where I was playing with settings. One more!

Of course, with unseasonable temps today, I wanted to get some things done. Aside from cleaning up and reorganizing stuff, I wanted to continue some rust abatement. The driver's side frame rail was crusty and needed attention. I also had to get rid of the last remnants of the side steps that needed to be cut off. Ready to start:

Here's what it looked like first, as I began:

I used a wire wheel on a drill and also on a die grinder, as well as an angle grinder with a flap wheel and a grinding wheel. Then, I used M-E-K to clean the whole thing off. I used a mask and gloves the whole time because that stuff is nasty. Once done, I hit it first with Rust Bullet's gray product:

Let it dry, and then used Rust Bullet's Blackshell as a topcoat:

To get the rear frame, including rear crossmember, I have to get the wheels off. Next nice day!

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I generally agree. It's creaky, though that will improve as I search out the bushings and what not. 200k miles will do that to ya, though

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

Hell yeah! I'm running the same lights on my Ranger and I love them. They are pretty damn bright and pretty damn inexpensive!
Not sure which lights you meant, but those big round ones light up the back roads really well, and I took the frames off and painted them the same color as the body, and that ties in nicely.

rincon1986

Rank I

Contributor III

Phillipsburg, NJ, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
R
Been a little bit since I posted last. Lots has been done. Bumpers have been finished, and installed...along with the winch. I have to reinstall the skid plate in the front, but I have to play a bit more with the winch anyway. Also, the lift is on and done. I do think I need to crank the front t-bars down some for more travel (it's very stiff; not sure it it's the bars being too high or simply new, heavy-duty bars) but there isn't much droop.

With tires, body lift, and suspension lift...we are 5 inches higher than stock.

So, I went out and played once I got the winch on...and I needed it! I got stuck but was able to winch out with zero problems. Worked like a charm.

Front view, obviously. Grille needs to be finished, some more lights on, and so on...but good enough to go.

You may note some mud around the rear tire. I even aired down. I need some practice.

I need to finish the wiring on the rear light, but it was enough to get me inspected and legal. License plate light and brake work fine.

Out of the mud, and away we go.
Nice man I used to have one of these. Where in PA are you located?