Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Monthly Official OC meetup thread. First Saturday of the month unless there is a special event/run that month.

Please also look for events nearby that you can participate in of dates don't match up for you. There are Inland Empire and Coachella Valley meet-ups as well.

Orange County Meet-up: (canceled due to COVID until further notice, check last posts for updates)
23382 Mill Creek Dr, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
When: First Saturday of the Month - 8am - 11am
Organizer: @FrankRoams

RFDOC_OBevent.jpg

Last edited:

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Is this location for Dec 9, rally point?
Dave, not sure why I didn't get an alert to this post until today. For that I am sorry. This location will remain the same for all meet-ups unless otherwise stated in this thread.

We are planning a change for January (weather permitting) Possible trail run up to Santiago Peak. we'll shorten the meet-up to 1.5 hrs instead of 3.

Reactions: tundra21 and T-88

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Happy New Year, Overlanders!

Just a reminder that we will be meeting at the usual irvine location from 8:00 - 9:30am and then promptly heading out to Silverado Canyon's Maple Springs gate to head up to Santiago Peak. I expect we'll be there about 10am.

Parking at the gate is EXTREMELY limited so we won't be able to hang out, be there promptly at 10am if you plan to meet us there and not in Irvine. I did the route last week with Matthew and it's very easy, I would say all can come. Did all of it in 2wd.

Let me know if you have any questions and don't forget to RSVP! Cheers.

Reactions: Daryl 32

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
If anyone needs to contact me, I can be reached on cell at 949-302-1540. from 8-9:30am tomorrow (Sat). Once I am in the canyon cell service is terrible. I will be on CB channel 32, I also have some GMRS radios if anyone uses those, let me know. No Ham at this time, but if all goes well I should have a license in a just over weeks time. So that's fun!

Hope to see folks out there tomorrow!

Reactions: Daryl 32

Papa Wolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

La Quinta, Riverside County, California, United States
First Name
Leonard
Last Name
Long
Member #

Good evening Frank, it was brought to my attention your reoccurring O.C. meet up was in conflict of another local event (Coachella) for the month of January. When I mean local, the So Cal area. When I checked on your O.C. monthly meet up, I see you have some issues. Because most members have the weekends off, that is when events will get planned. I noticed in the Calendar that you have planned your meet up for the 6th of every month . But your posting says your meet ups will be on the first Saturday of the month. Please see if you can fix the Calendar to reflect your correct meet ups. Hopefully this will stop any conflicts in the area. Thanks for your help. OB1417

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Good evening Frank, it was brought to my attention your reoccurring O.C. meet up was in conflict of another local event (Coachella) for the month of January. When I mean local, the So Cal area. When I checked on your O.C. monthly meet up, I see you have some issues. Because most members have the weekends off, that is when events will get planned. I noticed in the Calendar that you have planned your meet up for the 6th of every month . But your posting says your meet ups will be on the first Saturday of the month. Please see if you can fix the Calendar to reflect your correct meet ups. Hopefully this will stop any conflicts in the area. Thanks for your help. OB1417
Thanks for the feedback @Papawolf, I will look into the calendar issue with the OB team as it was working fine last week. We meet the first Saturday of every month. The only conflict we had was a request to coordinate so I wouldn't say it's a large one. People want to do as much as they can, but sure somethings will overlap between CV, IE, LA, OC, and SD. It's a lot of people in a relatively small area and in the end, we all also use the same areas to the east to explore. Again, I don't consider this a major problem, just good for the organizers, I think, to talk and share ideas. For events that will be more popular, we can coordinate. Thanks again @Papawolf, hopefully, see you out on the trails soon!

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I'm gonna try to make this one. My build is nearly "complete" (mechanically not esthetically) and I wanna start testing everything out on some easy runs... getting stranded is one thing, getting stranded 30 miles from the pavement on a rocky 45° slope is completely different lol!

Jonah "Rustyburbin" #4084.
5 kids, a wife, dog and a
1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: FrankRoams

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Hey @FrankRoams your up coming meet up isn't showing up in Rally Point...there is nothing in there for February 3rd.
Thanks for the heads up, that seems to be a recurring issue. I will discuss with Michael. The best place to look is the Calendar or post #1 in this thread is a link directly to the rally point page, between the image and the sig.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I hope Michael can get it figured out because Rally Point is where most go to see what going on in their region.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I hope Michael can get it figured out because Rally Point is where most go to see what going on in their region.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Totally agree. They’re really god about this stuff. Hopefully it’s not a major problem. Worst case I may need to create a new Rally point each month to keep it from falling off the list.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

ALPHA_H3T

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'm new here but I was able to make it to the last Inland Empire meet. It was a drive out there but definitely worth it. Looking forward to meeting some local people.

Is the pin on the rally point page accurate to the meeting point? Address only states Irvine.

Last edited:

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I'm new here but I was able to make it to the last Inland Empire meet. It was a drive out there but definitely worth it. Looking forward to meeting some local people.

Is the pin on the rally point page accurate to the meeting point? Address only states Irvine.
Looking forward to meeting you! Yes, the pin should be accurate. On the corner of Holland and Sterling.

Address is:
1 Holland
Irvine, CA 92618

Reactions: T-88 and ALPHA_H3T