Options for carrying a RTT in truck bed

• HTML tutorial

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hello all. Currently I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with the 5.5 ft bed and I am looking for something to hold a RTT but I want something that is cheap, but still strong enough to hold the tent. Reason for this is the truck I have now is going to be a temporary thing, as I am inheriting a 2013 Ford F-350. So I am basically looking for something like the bed bars the front runner outfitter makes to hold the tent lower in the bed of my truck, without breaking the bank since this is only going to be temporary. (About another year until I get the new truck) anyone have any ideas? I have seen the Thule Xsporter pro and that seems to be a good one but I am just wondering if there are any cheaper options out there.

Thanks in advance everybody!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Seems like it would be simple for a fab shop to bend and weld together some bars to do what you want.

Do you know any of those types of shops around SLC? I'd offer but shipping would kill the deal.

Whatever you had built could be done to accommodate both the Ram and the F-350 I'd imagine.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

David Claffey

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix
Member #

I do not know of a company I saw a lot of them at the overland west expo this weekend. Your best bet would be to find a local fab shop and get a set made that way you can make it the right height and design that you like.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
If you want something cheap and still quality your best bet is the Yakima BedRock IMO.
https://www.yakima.com/bedrock-2

I have spoken to Yakima reps at length and the bars as sturdy as any roof top solution, and you can mount any accessories by Yakima or other brands since they are standard round bars. This is what I am planning on doing to haul bikes and add a second level of storage to the bed.

On the flip side, once I get more gear and venture further I will likely swap out to Leitner Active Cargo Rack.
https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/

Since the Leitner also has crossbars I can the accessories I accumulate from the Yakima system if I want to. Anyway, that's the routes I have come to after months of searching and comparing. Best of luck!

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Does anybody know anyone that makes these for a ram 1500? I see them at a couple different companies but everyone I see only makes them for like Toyota and Nissan trucks...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
You should be able to find a metal fabrication shop in your local area that will make them for you. Thats the best way to do it.
The difference between the way I went and getting something like a Yakima rack is with a Yakima you can add what THEY have figured out you want. With mine I can figure out what I want and have it configured accordingly. Everything on mine will be where I decide I want it. Just like the hight. I wanted them that hight, so the guy that made em made em that hight.

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to go with the bedrock for now, and when I get this new truck I am going to upgrade to a leitner designs rack.

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Anyone use the CBI Offroad Overland racks? They list them at $399 on their site, but I cannot tell if that is a pair or for 4? I sent them an email but no reply yet.

Last edited:

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Bed bars. Generally run about a hundred ish a bar. Mine ran a little more cause I had em made taller than usual. Also, You probably only need 2. Ive got a 6 ft. bed and a 6 foot long tent so I went with 3.
Front Runner outfitters has a LR series track bar that one can attach their tent supports to. There are a lot of fab options and you can transfer it to the F350 easily enough. Attached to the vertical side if the top of the bed.

Mikeyleigh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

check out leesurlite. i have one of the motorcycle trailers but they do make i think on an as order basis a truck bed mounted fold out tent.
my trailer rocks on the bike. park , level, open get outdoor stuff out, done. if your only carry the bare bones like i do on the bike. after unhooking. about 7 minutes to full extension and ready to sleep.
if i want the canopy up to add about 10 minutes to lay it out and set it up. they are very cool units.
hope this helps with ideas

Attachments

Last edited:

Mikeyleigh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

i re read my earlier post and wow i type really bad.. i corrected it so it is understandable gibberish now. and added pics of my leesurlite trailer set up and closed. give you some idea of its size. the pickup version is the same only without the suspension and tow setup hanging off of it.
they are made in canada and there are i think three dealers in the usa for them. millers trailers out of PA. is one of them i believe. Hope this helps in what you were looking for. sorry about the terrible spelling on the last post.

Powerlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
Member #

Looked on TNT's website and didn't find any info on the product (looking for solutions for a ram with a rambox).

Any link or direction to go to get more info on the product?

Thanks
Don’t have the RAM box done yet. Should be up on the website in a few months.

lmyamen

Rank II

Advocate II

iowa
I bought a rack from "hot metal fab" its universal rack and only $300, comes bare metal so you can leave it as is or have it painted. I had mine powdercoated locally.

• Love
Reactions: 12express