Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

I really like the concept, IMHO it's what the new defender should've been! The proposed prcing though will make it more expensive than the Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8 diesel locally (which will definetily limit sales). My other concern would be parts and service availability (especially in remote areas).

the_lazy_overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Merredin, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Redmile
Member #

I really like the concept, IMHO it's what the new defender should've been! The proposed prcing though will make it more expensive than the Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8 diesel locally (which will definetily limit sales). My other concern would be parts and service availability (especially in remote areas).
$65.000aud for a base 76 Series wagon, to ask around that sort of money it HAS to compete WITH the Landcruiser and THAT is a tall order indeed. I notice watching the videos on the Ineos Youtube page that they want it to have the looks of the Defender/G wagon with the reliability of the Landcruiser.

Reactions: Get Out GO

the_lazy_overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Redmile
Member #

The email from the Grenadier people I got yesterday said preliminary production was starting and it would be available next year. The cost is supposed to be around $30,000USD.
Current conversion of usd to aud would price it around $43.000aud, that is very cheap indeed compared to the current asking price for a new 70 Series Cruiser at over $60.000aud. Interesting.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Current conversion of usd to aud would price it around $43.000aud, that is very cheap indeed compared to the current asking price for a new 70 Series Cruiser at over $60.000aud. Interesting.
I think one of the operative words they used in re the suggested price is "hoped".

Per the press release that came with the email:

"Ineos' Grenadier gets its power from BMW's 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six, mated to a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission. No manual gearbox will be offered, at least initially, with Ineos deciding that most of its prospective customers will fare better with an automatic. A mechanical center differential is standard with locking functionality optional, while the axles are produced by a European tractor supplier for durability. Despite the premium powertrain, Ineos says the Grenadier won't have a very premium price. Land Rover's new Defender will start around $50,000USD when it arrives in showrooms shortly, but the Grenadier is hoped to cost closer to the Jeep Wrangler's roughly $30,000USD base price when it arrives in 2021. Production will be near Ford's soon-to-be-shuttered Bridgend engine plant in Wales."

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Will we see it here in the US? Like the idea of BMW power though. Makes servicing a bit more tangible. ANd will it be at a Land Rover pricing model or something more inline with Lexus/Infiniti?

Reactions: the_lazy_overlander

GordyP

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Pomp
If it is half as capable as it’s inspiration and a little more reliable at that price point it will be a winner. But they aren’t the only ones doing a defender knock off. I’m curious about their choice of components. I would build it out of parts that are absolutely common world wide to ensure spares will always be available.

the_lazy_overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Redmile
Member #

I think one of the operative words they used in re the suggested price is "hoped".

Per the press release that came with the email:

"Ineos' Grenadier gets its power from BMW's 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six, mated to a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission. No manual gearbox will be offered, at least initially, with Ineos deciding that most of its prospective customers will fare better with an automatic. A mechanical center differential is standard with locking functionality optional, while the axles are produced by a European tractor supplier for durability. Despite the premium powertrain, Ineos says the Grenadier won't have a very premium price. Land Rover's new Defender will start around $50,000USD when it arrives in showrooms shortly, but the Grenadier is hoped to cost closer to the Jeep Wrangler's roughly $30,000USD base price when it arrives in 2021. Production will be near Ford's soon-to-be-shuttered Bridgend engine plant in Wales."
I think the word 'hoped' will be changed to 'much dearer than' lol.

the_lazy_overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Redmile
Member #

Will we see it here in the US? Like the idea of BMW power though. Makes servicing a bit more tangible. ANd will it be at a Land Rover pricing model or something more inline with Lexus/Infiniti?
On paper it looks so so tempting spec wise and price wise, you guys in the US will most definitely get it I feel, especialy if it's priced around the Jeep..... HUGE market.