Open Fire Cooking

• HTML tutorial

Cristopher.Huys

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Antwerpen, België
Member #

Next to offroading and overlanding in general cooking on open fire is my great passion. From an easy steak Caveman style to entire 7 course meals. I love starting at 5am in the morning and working the fire all day long while friends and family gather to feast around the fire and end with a nice beer and some good tunes. Ofcourse I'm always looking for new ideas, setups, recipes our overal knowledge of open fire cooking. And I'm sure many of you have spent more hours nurturing a fire and cooking over it then I do. So all pictures and or ideas are welcome!91229

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Next to offroading and overlanding in general cooking on open fire is my great passion. From an easy steak Caveman style to entire 7 course meals. I love starting at 5am in the morning and working the fire all day long while friends and family gather to feast around the fire and end with a nice beer and some good tunes. Ofcourse I'm always looking for new ideas, setups, recipes our overal knowledge of open fire cooking. And I'm sure many of you have spent more hours nurturing a fire and cooking over it then I do. So all pictures and or ideas are welcome!View attachment 91229
View attachment 91230
View attachment 91231View attachment 91232
Everything tastes better to me cooked on a fire! Looks like you have it figured out pretty well. I almost always use a marinade or rub on any meat I cook, be it wild game, beef, pork, chicken, or fish.

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Everything tastes better to me cooked on a fire! Looks like you have it figured out pretty well. I almost always use a marinade or rub on any meat I cook, be it wild game, beef, pork, chicken, or fish.
Amen Brotha - I agree I love cooking over campfires. in fact I started a side business called Fire Grilling ! I don't 'like to haul a lot of stuff so I came up with the Cowboy Kabob which is basically a big ass Skewer that fits across fire pits. So my recipes are mostly using my Kabobs to come up with new ideas. Or I do a lot of foil pouches or whole turkeys etc. If your interested here's a link:

https://firegrilling.com/cowboy-kabobView attachment 93321IMG_2757.JPGView attachment 93321IMG_3655.JPGChurrasco 10.JPGDSC_0519.JPG

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Here's an Article on Fire Grilling Basics with some ideas for those sorta new to campfire cooking. I'd love to get some feedback & suggestions from this group on what to add or change.
Cheers, Hans S.

Attachments

Reactions: Off-Camber

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Amen Brotha - I agree I love cooking over campfires. in fact I started a side business called Fire Grilling ! I don't 'like to haul a lot of stuff so I came up with the Cowboy Kabob which is basically a big ass Skewer that fits across fire pits. So my recipes are mostly using my Kabobs to come up with new ideas. Or I do a lot of foil pouches or whole turkeys etc. If your interested here's a link:

https://firegrilling.com/cowboy-kabobView attachment 93321View attachment 93322View attachment 93321View attachment 93325View attachment 93323View attachment 93324
Thanks for the link, am going to check it out this afternoon. NICE skewers!

Off-Camber

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Moncton, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE9JEP
Next to offroading and overlanding in general cooking on open fire is my great passion. From an easy steak Caveman style to entire 7 course meals. I love starting at 5am in the morning and working the fire all day long while friends and family gather to feast around the fire and end with a nice beer and some good tunes. Ofcourse I'm always looking for new ideas, setups, recipes our overal knowledge of open fire cooking. And I'm sure many of you have spent more hours nurturing a fire and cooking over it then I do. So all pictures and or ideas are welcome!View attachment 91229
View attachment 91230
Looks good, I need to try open flame cooking.

Off-Camber

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Moncton, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE9JEP

https://firegrilling.com/cowboy-kabobView attachment 93321View attachment 93322View attachment 93321View attachment 93325View attachment 93323View attachment 93324
Looks good!

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Cooking is one of my favorite parts of overlanding. Picked up a potjie pot for the summer. Plan on doing some South African dishes up in the Rockies in the next couple months.

Reactions: Hans Sommer

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

never heard of it...i see it has legs, is that for it to set in a bed of coals? doesnt look like its made to use on a stove burner. sounds interesting
Yes it's meant to cook over coals. Slow cook. Any various meats or vegetables can be put in, with any sauces you can think of. In South Africa cooking Poijkikos is a social thing.

Reactions: grubworm

Cristopher.Huys

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Antwerpen, België
Member #

Looks awesome indeed! I'm already thinking about stuff I can put on there haha

Reactions: Hans Sommer

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

From what I see you're doing it right with the most important ingredient: passion.

Do you brine? I brine all chicken/pork as well as some marinades for all red meat (I burn off the alcohol and steep for smoother infusion). I also like to do salt cures sometimes (as prepping for confit) and sous vide infusion. I do all this before I leave for the trip and then my campsite is simply the cooking.

You should check out Francis Mallman's Seven Fires Cooking.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
View attachment 91230
View attachment 91230
[/QUOTESome people dont relise the effect of the type of wood burnt has in the process of open fire cooking and the need to get the embers hot , flames will tarnish the items cooked , its an art were practise makes perfect and its great to see a group of young people using mans most primal methord of cooking , the tomahawk steaks have my mouth watering just looking

Last edited:
Reactions: Cristopher.Huys

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I love open fire cooking, but I'm not going to slave over a fire all day. Unless you are cooking a huge roast and need to slow cook it, it doesn't take long to cook a great meal over a fire.

Attachments