Open Fire Cooking

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

Cristopher.Huys

Rank I

Member I

Antwerpen, België
Member #

Next to offroading and overlanding in general cooking on open fire is my great passion. From an easy steak Caveman style to entire 7 course meals. I love starting at 5am in the morning and working the fire all day long while friends and family gather to feast around the fire and end with a nice beer and some good tunes. Ofcourse I'm always looking for new ideas, setups, recipes our overal knowledge of open fire cooking. And I'm sure many of you have spent more hours nurturing a fire and cooking over it then I do. So all pictures and or ideas are welcome!91229

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank II

Contributor II

Roanoke VA
Member #

Next to offroading and overlanding in general cooking on open fire is my great passion. From an easy steak Caveman style to entire 7 course meals. I love starting at 5am in the morning and working the fire all day long while friends and family gather to feast around the fire and end with a nice beer and some good tunes. Ofcourse I'm always looking for new ideas, setups, recipes our overal knowledge of open fire cooking. And I'm sure many of you have spent more hours nurturing a fire and cooking over it then I do. So all pictures and or ideas are welcome!View attachment 91229
View attachment 91230
View attachment 91231View attachment 91232
Everything tastes better to me cooked on a fire! Looks like you have it figured out pretty well. I almost always use a marinade or rub on any meat I cook, be it wild game, beef, pork, chicken, or fish.

Hans Sommer

Rank II

Contributor II

Arroyo Grande CA
Member #

Everything tastes better to me cooked on a fire! Looks like you have it figured out pretty well. I almost always use a marinade or rub on any meat I cook, be it wild game, beef, pork, chicken, or fish.
Amen Brotha - I agree I love cooking over campfires. in fact I started a side business called Fire Grilling ! I don't 'like to haul a lot of stuff so I came up with the Cowboy Kabob which is basically a big ass Skewer that fits across fire pits. So my recipes are mostly using my Kabobs to come up with new ideas. Or I do a lot of foil pouches or whole turkeys etc. If your interested here's a link:

https://firegrilling.com/cowboy-kabobView attachment 93321IMG_2757.JPGView attachment 93321IMG_3655.JPGChurrasco 10.JPGDSC_0519.JPG

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank II

Contributor II

Roanoke VA
Member #

Amen Brotha - I agree I love cooking over campfires. in fact I started a side business called Fire Grilling ! I don't 'like to haul a lot of stuff so I came up with the Cowboy Kabob which is basically a big ass Skewer that fits across fire pits. So my recipes are mostly using my Kabobs to come up with new ideas. Or I do a lot of foil pouches or whole turkeys etc. If your interested here's a link:

https://firegrilling.com/cowboy-kabobView attachment 93321View attachment 93322View attachment 93321View attachment 93325View attachment 93323View attachment 93324
Thanks for the link, am going to check it out this afternoon. NICE skewers!

Off-Camber

Rank I

Contributor I

Moncton, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Member #

Ham Callsign
VE9JEP
Next to offroading and overlanding in general cooking on open fire is my great passion. From an easy steak Caveman style to entire 7 course meals. I love starting at 5am in the morning and working the fire all day long while friends and family gather to feast around the fire and end with a nice beer and some good tunes. Ofcourse I'm always looking for new ideas, setups, recipes our overal knowledge of open fire cooking. And I'm sure many of you have spent more hours nurturing a fire and cooking over it then I do. So all pictures and or ideas are welcome!View attachment 91229
View attachment 91230
View attachment 91231View attachment 91232
Looks good, I need to try open flame cooking.

Off-Camber

Rank I

Contributor I

Moncton, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Member #

Ham Callsign
VE9JEP

https://firegrilling.com/cowboy-kabobView attachment 93321View attachment 93322View attachment 93321View attachment 93325View attachment 93323View attachment 93324
Looks good!

Edy Coyote

Rank II

Contributor III

Denver CO
Member #

Cooking is one of my favorite parts of overlanding. Picked up a potjie pot for the summer. Plan on doing some South African dishes up in the Rockies in the next couple months.

Reactions: Hans Sommer

grubworm

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Louisiana, USA
Member #

Cooking is one of my favorite parts of overlanding. Picked up a potjie pot for the summer. Plan on doing some South African dishes up in the Rockies in the next couple months.
never heard of it...i see it has legs, is that for it to set in a bed of coals? doesnt look like its made to use on a stove burner. sounds interesting

Edy Coyote

Rank II

Contributor III

Denver CO
Member #

never heard of it...i see it has legs, is that for it to set in a bed of coals? doesnt look like its made to use on a stove burner. sounds interesting
Yes it's meant to cook over coals. Slow cook. Any various meats or vegetables can be put in, with any sauces you can think of. In South Africa cooking Poijkikos is a social thing.

Reactions: grubworm