Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

I live in The EasyBake Oven, otherwise known as Phoenix. For rooftop storage on my vehicle I would LIKE to have a permanently attached, lockable, long container (e.g., a Pelican BX140R) where I can store tools, tarps, some kinds of camping gear, etc. (gear that is not especially heat sensitive) 24/7/365, not just when I'm overlanding. This vehicle has outdoor covered parking, not a climate-controlled garage.

I'm new to the desert SouthWest.

Is permanently storing gear on a vehicle year round a bad idea in the desert SW? Better alternatives?

Your insight is appreciated!

Reactions: KD7WCD and j2dxplr

krzyaz

Rank IV

Influencer II

Maricopa, AZ, USA
First Name
Peder
Last Name
Thygesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7WWV
Welcome to Arizona!

I've been out here for 17 years. I love it but the heat and sun wreak havoc on plastic and wood. They will last a couple years before becoming warped or brittle and will probably look bad by October. If you have to store them 24/7 outside, you might consider an aluminum box instead of plastic. Keep in mind that the plastics in recovery straps are also susceptible over time.

Reactions: Salt

j2dxplr

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Tempe, Arizona, United States
First Name
Jacq and Jeremy
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I live in The EasyBake Oven, otherwise known as Phoenix. For rooftop storage on my vehicle I would LIKE to have a permanently attached, lockable, long container (e.g., a Pelican BX140R) where I can store tools, tarps, some kinds of camping gear, etc. (gear that is not especially heat sensitive) 24/7/365, not just when I'm overlanding. This vehicle has outdoor covered parking, not a climate-controlled garage.

I'm new to the desert SouthWest.

Is permanently storing gear on a vehicle year round a bad idea in the desert SW? Better alternatives?

Your insight is appreciated!
Welcome to AZ! Parked under shade is definitely better than exposed to sun all the time. The drying hot wind also beat up plastic over time even in shade, but not as quickly as the sun.

We tend to remove things as we change setup and need and store our gear in the garage.

I agree with the other OB member, an aluminum one will serve you much better. They are expensive purchased, but if you have the ability to weld and make your own, that might be the best option.

Reactions: Salt

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

I've lived here 48 years. best advice is don't leave things in your vehicle or on the outside. Our sun and heat is brutal and will destroy it all.

After a trip I pull everything off my rig and pull it out from inside as well.

Reactions: KD7WCD and Salt