Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

As the title says, I'm just one guy, hitting the road for as long as I can sustain it. Now that my kids are on their own I've decided to sell everything, outfit my jeep and hit the road until I either get bored or find someplace new to settle for a while. The "plan" is to hit the road (leaving Florida) sometime in late August-early September and after visiting friends in SC and VA, hit the TAT and head west to roads less traveled.

I started off-roading 30+ years ago but no matter how much experience any of us have, it's always best to travel with at least one other vehicle. Especially in unfamiliar territory. Making matters a little more challenging, I'm limited due to physical disabilities.

Other than the "plan" I mention above and some choice destinations along the way, I have no plan. And that's intentional. Heck, when I leave isn't even set in stone.

Obviously I'm new here, so this kind of stuff may have been answered deeper down in the forums. BUT!

What are the odds of finding others to explore with for extended periods of time along the way? And is anyone interested in joining the journey? Also, I have no problem exploring with couples but avoiding the third wheel complex by traveling with other singles would be ideal. (No this isn't a request for a date. :D )

Any thoughts?

Edit: Prep work is taking longer than I planned and now it looks like late September before I can hit the road. :(

Last edited:

Christopher P

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Pulley
Member #

I have a "plan" to head out for New Mexico and Arizona in late September from Austin. Just me and my dogs. At the most it will be a two week journey round trip for me. I'm going to try to stick to back/dirt roads and enjoy the drive while hitting up as many off-road parks and trail systems as I can along the way.

I am in the process of formulating my actual plan so if the timing is right and you are heading through Texas the makings of a convoy we may have.

- Chris

Reactions: Roger Jeffery

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

I have a "plan" to head out for New Mexico and Arizona in late September from Austin. Just me and my dogs. At the most it will be a two week journey round trip for me. I'm going to try to stick to back/dirt roads and enjoy the drive while hitting up as many off-road parks and trail systems as I can along the way.

I am in the process of formulating my actual plan so if the timing is right and you are heading through Texas the makings of a convoy we may have.

- Chris
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Timing wise this could work out well as it would give me maybe a week or two to explore Windrock and other parks between the Carolina's and TX before meeting up.

Roger Jeffery

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Harlingen, TX
First Name
ROGER
Last Name
JEFFERY
Member #

As the title says, I'm just one guy, hitting the road for as long as I can sustain it. Now that my kids are on their own I've decided to sell everything, outfit my jeep and hit the road until I either get bored or find someplace new to settle for a while. The "plan" is to hit the road (leaving Florida) sometime in late August-early September and after visiting friends in SC and VA, hit the TAT and head west to roads less traveled.

I started off-roading 30+ years ago but no matter how much experience any of us have, it's always best to travel with at least one other vehicle. Especially in unfamiliar territory. Making matters a little more challenging, I'm limited due to physical disabilities.

Other than the "plan" I mention above and some choice destinations along the way, I have no plan. And that's intentional. Heck, when I leave isn't even set in stone.

Obviously I'm new here, so this kind of stuff may have been answered deeper down in the forums. BUT!

What are the odds of finding others to explore with for extended periods of time along the way? And is anyone interested in joining the journey? Also, I have no problem exploring with couples but avoiding the third wheel complex by traveling with other singles would be ideal. (No this isn't a request for a date. :D )

Any thoughts?
I admire your since of adventure and understand the security of having other people travel with you. I plan to take a two week trip San Antonio then to west Texas ending up in Big Bend National park. Hoping to head out to see the Grand Canyon in mid August I have the route and camping locations picked out. It is hard to know the when I will be in a particular location. I live close to Brownsville TX (Southern tip of Texas). Post your journey maybe I can meet up. I am also new at this but I did travel across the country in an RV so I enjoy the adventure went to RTT so I can get in areas that RVs can't.

Reactions: Rather B. Wandering

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

I admire your since of adventure and understand the security of having other people travel with you. I plan to take a two week trip San Antonio then to west Texas ending up in Big Bend National park. Hoping to head out to see the Grand Canyon in mid August I have the route and camping locations picked out. It is hard to know the when I will be in a particular location. I live close to Brownsville TX (Southern tip of Texas). Post your journey maybe I can meet up. I am also new at this but I did travel across the country in an RV so I enjoy the adventure went to RTT so I can get in areas that RVs can't.
Once I know when I'm leaving I'll post it. I may be facing a delay but I'll make that another post.

Reactions: Roger Jeffery

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

It's been challenging to find someplace to work on my Jeep GC. I thought a friend was going to let me work on it in his driveway but he backed out. Until I find someplace I'm not going anywhere. Unfortunately I've run out of friends within 400 miles...lol

I'll keep you guys posted.

Ta2Doc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, KY, USA
First Name
Brady
Last Name
Robinette
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RRX
Your title grabbed my attention. I, too am in the process of preparing for a solo sojourn of undetermined length with no particular end destination in mind. You will find a LOT of folks who disagree with your decision / situation to journey solo and will offer all sorts of well intentioned reasons you shouldn't do it. I'm not saying to IGNORE them, but only let their advice affect you insofar as it increases your preparedness.

A parallel situation -- I'm a scuba diver and have been for almost 30 years. I've enjoyed diving all over the world and have worked to continue my scuba education and skills through advanced training. One of the cardinal rules for recreational diving has long been "Never Dive Alone". The scuba orthodoxy states that there should always be someone within reach in case something goes wrong and to dive recreationally without a partner is unconscionably dangerous. Fairly recently, thought, scuba certification agencies have been offering Solo (or Self Reliant) Diver training. The description on wikipedia puts it very well, so I'll borrow it from there... from wiki... "Unlike the buddy system, which encourages divers to rely on others in the event of an emergency, solo diving encourages divers to prepare themselves to overcome emergencies by their own means. The divers who engage in solo diving are typically those who are experienced and equipped enough to handle problems themselves."

The training regimen for Solo Diving focuses on preparedness in the form of equipment, knowledge/skills practice, and (most important) mindset. Understanding the risks, mitigate them, then enjoy!
I think that parallels nicely with hitting the long road alone.

Cheers!
~doc

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Rather B. Wandering - You may be surprised how easy it is to solo travel around the country. I've been doing it for decades, literally, all over North America in a variety of different vehicles and in a variety of locales without issue.

It is a bit wiser perhaps, to have another vehicle when back country and way off the pavement, though I've done that, too, for months at a time. Perhaps wiser, too, in your situation depending on your physical disabilities.

A lot of it may depend on how much of a risk-taker you are in situations with which you're not overly familiar. I tend not to be recklessly daring, always check twice when about to do something, and won't do things for which I do not feel prepared.

Being alone, though, has never bothered me and I feel the longer I'm on the road the less I need to have someone else around 24/7. Indeed, it's the solo time in camp and driving time alone that I find most productive and nourishing.

I have partnered up with others, though, at times. Solo travelers/campers for as long as a month (see image below), once with a couple with a kid for long distances and several nights across Texas, and with couples or adventure pals who needed a camp spot for the night. It usually happens when someone comes by to check out my camping set up and we get to know each other, or that I meet in other ways like when I'm working on my vehicle or standing in line to get back country permits.

It rarely works for me to plan to travel with others much in advance, as I often don't know where I'm going to be next week, much less in months to come.

Should we be in the same part of the country at some point and know it, you're more than welcome to come share a fire and a meal.

Hope it works out the way you hope it will.

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

If you come through Indiana, south of Indy give a shout. Got tools and space if you need to work on your rig, or a good night's sleep.
I've actually have a sister in IN just west of Louisville, though we haven't spoken in nine years and I'd be more inclined to take you up on the offer than stay with her...lol

Thank you Motoboss for the amazing and generous offer!

Reactions: Motoboss

Hyland33

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Leicester, MA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Hyland
Member #

I’m planning on doing something similar next spring. I’ll be heading west and then possibly up to Alaska. I have friends out west I plan on visiting and it will be nice to be out with the camera shooting all around the country.

SmileyMo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas
Im from Brownsville,Texas!! Lol

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
James,

Any progress on the trip planning? I'm heading out next week (weather permitting) heading to Ouray/Moab and points in between. Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere along the line.

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

James,

Any progress on the trip planning? I'm heading out next week (weather permitting) heading to Ouray/Moab and points in between. Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere along the line.
Sadly I don't think I'll see you on the trail. I had to submit to paying a shop to do the work I needed on my Jeep and they're not starting until tomorrow. After that I've got another few weeks worth of prep work before I can leave. So I'm probably looking at late September before I hit the road. I just added the update (Edit) to my original post.

Here's hoping we can meet up somewhere down the line...

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I'm getting totally bogged down with the "prep" work - routing, hotel/motel/campground, etc. Almost makes me want to stay home - NOT! Good luck on your upcoming trip. Hopefully everything will work out. See ya out there!