rcoron

Rank 0

Contributor I

seattle, WA
First Name
robert
Last Name
coron
Just purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 20" wheels. I want to downsize to 18" with an on/off road tires but am concerned about picking a tire that's too noisy but can also handle decent off road driving ( nothing crazy)
All advice and comments are appreciated.
Thanks

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Whats your noise threshold? For me irok super swampers 40"+ are too noisy on the highway. A lot of people say 33" mud tires are noisy on the highway ( i don't think so but depends on brand/tread pattern).
There are alot of real good off-road tires brands out there right now and a few not so good ones.

I'll vote mud tire till the day I die.
but an a/t tire might do for you depending on what you want to do. All terrains are usually quiet unless you go really big.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
been loving the cooper Discovery STT Pro but it may be a little overkill for what you are after.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I think you should go for ATs to give a balance between capability and comfort/noise. As others note, it depends on what you plan to do, however only once in decades have I been in a situation where I wondered whether MTs would have been better (and where if I had bothered to take the sand ladders I would have been fine - hadn't planned on going into the mud that day... ).

Our experience in the last decade has included Dunlop Grandtrek, Pirelli Scorpion, BF Goodrich T/A, and Geolandar A/T-S, however we've ended up with Toyo OC ATs - recommended by the shop when we were looking for a new BF Goodrich T/A to replace a destroyed tyre, as being as good, and a better price. We're now on the Toyos.

Have heard positive things about Falken Widlpeak ATs, but have no experience with them.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I run Falken Wildpeak ATs on everything from a Samurai to a Suburban, as well as my Silverado and XJ. By far the best AT tire I've ever run. Outstanding on and off road traction and surprisingly quiet if you keep them rotated.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

i can attest the toyo At3's fight above their weight class. using a boxing analogy. they wear well. they are great on stone, pretty good in anything other than clay/mud (when nothing really works anyway).. balance out well. they are WAY above BFG's as to wear. all around a good choice. they are now my go to tire for anything 4x4 offroad.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Another vote for the Falken Wildpeak A/T3w, amazing tires. I'll be running them again for sure. I would avoid M/T tires, they don't do well in the winter if you have to deal with snow, they're noisy, not great street tires, etc.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

I run Falken Wildpeak ATs on everything from a Samurai to a Suburban, as well as my Silverado and XJ. By far the best AT tire I've ever run. Outstanding on and off road traction and surprisingly quiet if you keep them rotated.
I have been very happy with my Falken Wildpeaks, they are cheaper than most as well.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

More importantly than anything else, what's your budget.

I am a big fan of these in real world, daily driver and weekend overlanding trips for use in West Texas: uber fine 6" dust roads, packed red clay, rocks of ALL sizes, decent asphalt freeways and driving around my downtown with 100+ year old pavers that have never been maintained. Side note - Only look into C load tires, maybe D but not E. Your rig is not heavy enough for E and you are guaranteed to find it a much rougher ride unless you run 14psi around town:

My experience is on both a 2016 and 2017 JKU and a 2012 Expedition.

BFG KO2 - All around excellent tire. Took them off at 55k miles and still had at least another 10 for daily driving left on them. Got a little noisy after 45-48 k, but only noticeable with the windows down. LOTS of them available in all kinds of size and sit maybe just above the 60% of average price wise.

Nitto anything: Massively overpriced fan boy tires that can be ok in some offroad situations, but I hated them and got rid of them after about 8-9k miles. Never again.

Toyo Open Country A/T. Excellent tire, becoming more and more available since a few manufacturers are adding them as upgrade tire wheel packages. Wears well, looks great, probably the best non snow specific tier I ahve used in the mountains during winter.

Milestar Patagonia M/T. If you need an M/T, IMO, you cant beat this tire at this price point. Are there better? Sure. Are there longer life? Sure. But for a daily driver and offroad use, this was an excellent tire for me. About 40% price of average M/T's on the market. Been popular with a lot of the Moab, Ouray crowds.

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
You will be an AT guy. BGG KO2s or General Grabber AT/Xs would suite you perfect.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I just picked up a set of the Yokohama X-AT. I like them so far. They are a hybrid tire that falls between a mud tire and an all-terrain.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Just purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 20" wheels. I want to downsize to 18" with an on/off road tires but am concerned about picking a tire that's too noisy but can also handle decent off road driving ( nothing crazy)
All advice and comments are appreciated.
Thanks
I went with BFG KO2. so far no complaints and noise is similar to my on road Michilen LTXs when they are getting close to worn out. (IE not that loud on or off road) If you are buying new rims check to see if 17" ca fit over your brakes and offer good clearance. Last I looked some tires are only offered in specific rim sizes. Last year the 17" tires were about $100 or so less per set than the comparable 18" set. But now they are more. So once you decide what tires you want check which rim size will offer the best value and fit.

Boort

Lost Nomad

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Holland, MI, USA
First Name
Heath
Last Name
Brunner
Member #

I was on M/T tires and took them off do to the snow here in MI, got tired of sliding through stop signs when it rained or snowed. I now run BFG AT KO2 32x11.5x15 and could not be happier with them as of now.

Reactions: BensonSTW