On Board Compressor Review

• HTML tutorial

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Lets start with this, I searched "on board compressor" and "compressor" so don't yell at me to use the search button.

I am looking for actual reviews on affordable compressors. I would love to hardwire one but that isn't reality for me. I have a Slime 12v compressor but that is for emergencies. I am looking for something under $100 that will actually fill a tire in less than two minutes. Does this exist and what would I look for? Anyone have real world advice on something they've used?

Thank you.

PS NO HARBOR FRIEGHT JUNK

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks, I couldn't open it up because I am not a subscriber but I was able to check out the Viair 88p which will fit my tires up in two -three minutes! Only $60 on amazon. Thanks for the tip!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey @administrator Where did the gear threads go from the old forum? I was about to link Braden to our previous discussions on compressors, and it seems to have ben left behind. There was another one I'd started, too, but I can't recall what the topic was now.

Reactions: 4Runner

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Thanks, I couldn't open it up because I am not a subscriber but I was able to check out the Viair 88p which will fit my tires up in two -three minutes! Only $60 on amazon. Thanks for the tip!
I just got a Viair 400 a couple weeks ago. I run 265/75/16 BFG K02 tires. If I air down to 20, it takes about a minute and change to get them back up. That unit is just over $100. It comes in a great kit bag all organized. Super happy with it.image.jpg

Reactions: 4Runner

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I also have a 88P. Good compressor. I just retired it to the toolbox now that I have my air compressor installed (ARB CKMTA12) and wired. For the last few weeks I have been driving a partially gutted truck since the head gasket in my Honda decided to go out. But considering it as 4K and I drove it for 12 years, Im not going to complain. But still, talk about bad timing.

The 88P does get pretty hot when you fill all 4 with it, I air up my 265s from 20 to 37 PSI and I can not touch the fittings. I also learned to strap it to my garvin rack when done since it had enough heat to partially melt the corner of my action packer. But it works, and is pretty fast for a portable, the 80% duty cycle also helps.

But Ill be honest, I love the ARB compressor, yeah it cost more, but dam, I can fill the tires faster than the Staun deflators can remove air. Pretty slick!

Sound clip of how loud it is, which is not bad at all. And not like it runs non stop either. I will eventually get ARB lockers, but have the factory E locker rear, so front first. But Im happy with how it turned out. FYI the video is unrehearshed, un scripted, and I just blabbered, so don't hold it against me, I said a few mistakes, but the main point of the loudness of the compressor is understood.

And for humor, the 2015 partial tin can I was driving... Nothing like my DSM, but this thing is just a few months old.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@utspoolup There's no doubt the ARB dual compressor is king. I absolutely love mine and wouldn't leave home without it. (However it's 4 to 5 times the cost of the lower tier compressors.)

@4Runner There isn't a $100 solution that's going to fill a tire in under 2 minutes. However you might get close with some of the Viair options. Back when I was researching for my own use, I almost went with a "Puma" from eBay. Apparently it's only available from a limited number of sources but it's gotten pretty good reviews from various forums.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/115v-1-5-gallon-air-compressor-Puma-mini-electric-/381276260759

My motto has always been "Buy the best and cry once." Sometimes that's had to read; "buy the best I can afford, and pray I only cry once". Overall, I've found that I'm much more content with quality over quantity of gadgets so I try to prioritize on the most important items. If you travel with a group of other overlanders you can share the duties which eases up on initial costs.

Just my 2 cents worth...

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

I just got a Viair 400 a couple weeks ago. I run 265/75/16 BFG K02 tires. If I air down to 20, it takes about a minute and change to get them back up. That unit is just over $100. It comes in a great kit bag all organized. Super happy with it.View attachment 102
I think I am going to end up with that 400 series! Looks like the best of both worlds.

That ARB setup is awesome, looks like you've got a ton of time into that project. The interior or your xterra looks outstanding! I'd do something like that but I want to sleep in my cab.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have the Viair 450 kit after all the help I received here in the missing thread. It is 100% duty-cycle (which I won't need, but may come in handy at some point down the road.)

And @utspoolup I *love* that interior rack system! That would be great in my Outback (if I don't end up sleeping in there.)

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey @administrator Where did the gear threads go from the old forum? I was about to link Braden to our previous discussions on compressors, and it seems to have ben left behind. There was another one I'd started, too, but I can't recall what the topic was now.
Hey Steve, nothing should have been lost. I'll have a look and see if I can find it. It was a thread on compressors?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@administrator Yep, I think it was titled "What portable air do you use?" or something similar. Definitely had "portable air" in there. I created the thread, if that helps. There was another "What xxxx do you use?" in the same sub-forum that I created, but can't remember it.

My profile shows that I've only started 8 threads, and I sure think there were more than that.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@4Runner If you haven't got one yet...I wanted to learn how to use my new Viair 400. I have air down valves set at 20psi. I aired one down and hooked it up. It was 50 seconds to go from 20 to 39 psi on my 265/75.16's. Easy peazey. Pretty quiet unit too. You can find them under $150...

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

this is most likely out of most peoples budgets for compressors, but ive been very impressed with Air Zeniths OB2 compressors. Im running a dual compressor setup with a 5 gallon tank. the compressors are 200 psi, 100% duty cycle, high output compressors EACH. I have dual outlets currently (high pressure and low pressure) with a VIAR pressure regulator for running my air tools.

Under a stress test of the system, i aired down all 4 of my 33x12.50x15 km2s down to zero, then aired them back up to 35 psi each. It took about 7 1/2 minutes to complete and the tank pressure never dropped below about 80 psi.

The whole setup with fittings, compressors, tank, lines, etc ran about $1200 in just parts. The plus side of it is that i pretty much have a shop quality air system for the trails.

20150513_174958.jpg 20150513_174950.jpg

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

this is most likely out of most peoples budgets for compressors, but ive been very impressed with Air Zeniths OB2 compressors. Im running a dual compressor setup with a 5 gallon tank. the compressors are 200 psi, 100% duty cycle, high output compressors EACH. I have dual outlets currently (high pressure and low pressure) with a VIAR pressure regulator for running my air tools.

Under a stress test of the system, i aired down all 4 of my 33x12.50x15 km2s down to zero, then aired them back up to 35 psi each. It took about 7 1/2 minutes to complete and the tank pressure never dropped below about 80 psi.

The whole setup with fittings, compressors, tank, lines, etc ran about $1200 in just parts. The plus side of it is that i pretty much have a shop quality air system for the trails.

View attachment 118 View attachment 119
That's a sweet setup, and like 1/3 of the price of my Jeep!

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

Exactly why I prefaced it the way I did. However, when you can easily run air tools on the side of the road & trail, its well worth the investment.

In the future, I may add a dual arb compressor to the setup for when I add air lockers, but will add a valve to tie it to the air tank for even more air flow