Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

Okay so this is going to be a 2-in-1 post both about what air compressor I should invest in, and also mounting options.

I drive a 2020 Ford Ranger FX4 4x4 XLT. It has the 4 cylinder ecoboost engine, and as you would imagine there isn't a lot of space in the engine bay to mount an air compressor. If any of you have found solutions to mounting a compressor somewhere please let me know! I am aware that I could mount it to the side of my bed rails, and I have even seen an australian company advertise a bracket that lets you mount it underneath your bed on the back right body panel near where the exhaust is.

Second thing is I am having a hard time deciding what compressor to buy. I've narrowed it down to the ARB single piston air compressor versus the VIAIR 400P. Both have their advantages but, not really sure which I should go for.

I also plan to do a DIY 4 tire air up hose system.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I use the Viair 450P-Automatic.

100% duty cycle and Auto function for much easier inflation to desired pressure.

Reactions: adv_ranger

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I run the Viair. I have never run an ARB but, they look like they work better in the engine compartment. My Viair is mounted inside my vehicles. According to Viair, very few of theirs are rated for out door mounting (eng compartment).

adv_ranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

I run the Viair. I have never run an ARB but, they look like they work better in the engine compartment. My Viair is mounted inside my vehicles. According to Viair, very few of theirs are rated for out door mounting (eng compartment).
Wow okay thank you for that note. I would hate to have mounted a VIAIR in my engine bay only to have it fail on me for that reason!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Wow okay thank you for that note. I would hate to have mounted a VIAIR in my engine bay only to have it fail on me for that reason!
Just don't buy the portable P series and get the C instead that are designed for OBA. Viair rates their C compressors to IP67 so they're dust-proof and submersible up to 1m for 30min. ARB says they're sealed but gives no rating and I know people who have had issues with theirs after proper submersion.

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

I say buy the highest quality gear your budget can afford. This is especially true on gear that might make the difference between needing help and getting home on your own. I know ARB has been making these little compressors for years. Its a solid design, it comes with a proper wiring diagram and quality switch parts. I know the heat/cold/moisture/vibrations will not hurt it. I managed to tuck one in the engine bay of a 2017 4Runner. You can likely make one fit in yours too.

Attach28097_20200412_195318.jpg

adv_ranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

If you go with the ARB I think it is worth it to go up to the double compressor. I have it and it can put out some air.
Would you say it's necessary? I hear good things from the single compressor. I plan on filling up all four tires at once so maybe I'll need the extra capacity... Just don't think the double compressor will fit anywhere in my engine bay.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Its all based on how long you want to wait. Its hard to beat the CFM of the dual but, I do like the small footprint of the single. I personally don't mind taking 15-20 mins to fill up my 35's. It would take a bit of convincing or a killer deal for me to pay for the dual.

adv_ranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

Its all based on how long you want to wait. Its hard to beat the CFM of the dual but, I do like the small footprint of the single. I personally don't mind taking 15-20 mins to fill up my 35's. It would take a bit of convincing or a killer deal for me to pay for the dual.
Yea I feel like airing up is just a part of the process and I'm never in any rush when I'm outdoors. There is a plastic shroud at the front of my engine bay that when removed there is a small metal platform in front of the radiator. That might just be my best option.

GordyP

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Pomp
Maybe I'm impatient? Also the double can run an air tool if that matters to you. I guess I figure if you are going through the effort then go all the way so there are no regrets later.
1593205743789.png

DF2020

Rank II
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orner
Member #

I say buy the highest quality gear your budget can afford. This is especially true on gear that might make the difference between needing help and getting home on your own. I know ARB has been making these little compressors for years. Its a solid design, it comes with a proper wiring diagram and quality switch parts. I know the heat/cold/moisture/vibrations will not hurt it. I managed to tuck one in the engine bay of a 2017 4Runner. You can likely make one fit in yours too.

View attachment 159946
Looks like a great spot and super clean!

SRN

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Nielson
I've had an ARB CKMA12 mounted under the hood of my '94 Trooper for seven years now. Run it in the dustiest, hottest conditions the Utah desert can throw at it, even had water up over the hood on more than a handful of occasions; and the compressor still works like a champ. The most tires I've filled up in a row was 12, and it handled it fine (other than being hotter than a hell). I'm planning on installing a one gallon tank to make fill ups easier and run tools off of, but I've been happy with my setup thus far. Going with the CKMTA12 dual piston would certainly make everything faster, but its also bulkier and harder to find a nook to mount it in.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I bought the ARB double compressor some time ago but as yet haven't fitted it. I haven't yet figured out where to install it. I considered underneath my drivers seat but wasn't sure whether there would be enough "breathable" space

adv_ranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

I bought the ARB double compressor some time ago but as yet haven't fitted it. I haven't yet figured out where to install it. I considered underneath my drivers seat but wasn't sure whether there would be enough "breathable" space
I hear you on that... I think just to keep things simple I'll get the 200 dollar portable VIAIR and just hook it up when I need to. No need to get fancy.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I hear you on that... I think just to keep things simple I'll get the 200 dollar portable VIAIR and just hook it up when I need to. No need to get fancy.
I use to put mine in a 50 cal ammo can and switch it between vehicles. Fit the compressor, 20 ft of power cable, hose and gauge.

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
I used a portable Viair compressor for my Jeep for about 5 years. It took maybe 15 to 20 minutes to air up my 33s. Not a terribly long time; but when when it’s the end of the day, you’re hot, and the kids are extremely vocal with their desire to get something to eat, those 20 minutes felt a lot longer. Plus, the portable one takes up cargo space. If you’re just out hitting trails and all you have in the back is a cooler, that’s not a big deal. But if you’re loaded up to take the family on a week long trip, cargo space is at a premium.

For my new 4Runner build, I wanted to free up that cargo space so I mounted an ARB dual compressor under the hood with air lines running to all four tires (the Wifey system sold by Rago Fabrication). I can air down all four 33” tires from ~35 psi to ~18 psi in about 3 minutes and then air them all back up to ~35 psi in about 5 minutes. Yes, there are cheaper options out there, but on board dual compressor air is such a game changer that I won’t go back.
DAF9D695-33E8-4F66-B5B8-BB76E60543C5.jpeg
C9D12F8B-349B-4A0F-9C26-8377871F680B.jpeg

adv_ranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

I use to put mine in a 50 cal ammo can and switch it between vehicles. Fit the compressor, 20 ft of power cable, hose and gauge.
haha wow that is just straight awesome! Hard to get your hands on ammo period these days... and a can of it will cost you an arm and a leg. I should look to see if they have some scrapped ammo boxes at the army store here.