• HTML tutorial

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Greetings everyone!
To all who own 3rd gen 4Runners (96-02), planning to lift your rig, I would like to clear up some misunderstandings about the placement and/or installation of the OME 906 rear lift coils. Although many of you probably know this, I on the contrary did not and had to find out the hard way, that the 906 coils are driver and passenger side specific. Essentially, this means that one of the coils (906-A) is approximately .39 inches taller than the other, to compensate for driver side weight. With that being said, the other coil (906-B) is of normal height, which would be installed on the passenger side. I installed them, foolishly disregarding the tags on the coils, then later realizing my rig had been leaning approximately 3/4 inch on the d/s. After calling the distributor, they were of no assistance, stating that the coils are basically the same height. In addition, many people on Toyota forums tend to believe that A belongs on the passenger, and B for the driver because OME is an Australian brand (right hand drive), which may be true in some applications.
So, take your time, do it right the first time, and be safe out there! Hope I could be of any assistance.

-Byron Eby 20151122_133829.jpg 20151122_081048.jpg

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

My apologies for not describing the pictures!. The more progressive one is the new one. Conveniently, they made the lift coil the same height as the stock coil (the dirty one above the progressive shiny one), however, the progression is so when you lower the vehicle, it is two inches taller.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I suppose if I would have thought for a moment I would have realized one is dirtier than the other!

El Capitan

Rank 0

Traveler I

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Logan
Last Name
Breedlove
Super old thread but didn’t want to have to start a new one so thought I would post here and see if I got any responses. I’m lookimg to lift my 98 4Runner and I was looking at putting OME 881 in the front and 906 in the back but after some research I’ve been seeing that people who overland and put weight in the back of their cars from gear that have 906’s frequently get backwards raking. I’m considering the OME 890’s now instead as they’re a little taller and would also give a smoother ride. Did you have any sagging in the back with all you gear in the truck?

octanejunkie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

My 890s sagged after about 100k miles with 100-200 extra pounds in the back. If you're gonna be carrying weight, or have an aftermarket rear bumper, looks at 891 coils. Also make sure you add longer rear shocks like the LC Tokicos or FJ bliiles, and don't forget a longer rear brake hose and extending your bump stops.
Happy trails!