Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
As for tires, the trailer uses 15" rims the same as the Jeep, but it uses standard 5x4.5 lug pattern and they are only 31" tall. The Jeep having upgraded Dana44 axles has 5x5.5 a Ford pattern.
In the long shot that I can't plug a tire, I carry a spare wheel spacer that converts the lug pattern and I can use the Jeep 35" spare.

If the 35" spare is used, I can alter the balance on the airbags to help offset the height until I get to civilization.

I am old school and tend to patch tires on the trail. I carry a plug kit as well as a large selection of radial sidewall and large boot patches. I even carry safety wire and a drill so if a large gash occurs, I can stitch wire the tire casing back together. Hopefully at that point a boot patch can seal it. If worse comes to worse, I carry an inner tube I can put in as a last resort. I grew up on the farm/ranch in west Texas and with all the mesquite thorns, I got to the point I could bust down a tubeless tire and patch it in short order since I averaged one a week.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

As for tires, the trailer uses 15" rims the same as the Jeep, but it uses standard 5x4.5 lug pattern and they are only 31" tall. The Jeep having upgraded Dana44 axles has 5x5.5 a Ford pattern.
In the long shot that I can't plug a tire, I carry a spare wheel spacer that converts the lug pattern and I can use the Jeep 35" spare.

If the 35" spare is used, I can alter the balance on the airbags to help offset the height until I get to civilization.

I am old school and tend to patch tires on the trail. I carry a plug kit as well as a large selection of radial sidewall and large boot patches. I even carry safety wire and a drill so if a large gash occurs, I can stitch wire the tire casing back together. Hopefully at that point a boot patch can seal it. If worse comes to worse, I carry an inner tube I can put in as a last resort. I grew up on the farm/ranch in west Texas and with all the mesquite thorns, I got to the point I could bust down a tubeless tire and patch it in short order since I averaged one a week.
That’s some TEOTWAWKI tire preparedness right there

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
WTF does TEOTWAWKI stand for. .... later.... Google is my friend. My rig is my bug out vehicle. I keep it fully stocked and ready to roll. You never know when an earthquake or EMP could put us back in the dark ages for a few years.

The truth is.......I'm just too old, crippled, and lazy to walk back.

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have a CB/Weather radio and a Ham 2m/70cm in my trailer and Jeep as well. It allows the wife and I to keep in touch if I go out exploring. I was able to relay through several repeater in Utah and a phone patch to talk all the way back to the Front Range of Colorado.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

WTF does TEOTWAWKI stand for. .... later.... Google is my friend. My rig is my bug out vehicle. I keep it fully stocked and ready to roll. You never know when an earthquake or EMP could put us back in the dark ages for a few years.

The end of the world as we know it. That’s when the sh*t hits the fan and you have to rely on yourself and what you got.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My family (Houston) homesteaded Martin and Glascock counties. That means Stanton (half way between Midland and Big Springs) and Garden City (about 20 miles further south).

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Impressive as hell..love all the details .looks so simple but it's created with purpose and not just cookie cutter..Thank you for sharing the build. Looks great with your jeep.:sunglasses:

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I always envisioned doing the paint scheme on the trailer to match the Cherokee. I am really undecided if I like this or not. We live in Colorado and 4 miles from the mountains. The Cherokee is Blue Metallic over Silver Metallic. The two colors on the trailer are the exact same paint.

I did a rough sketch of what I am thinking. The lines are not exact. I have taped off the trailer and the proportions are better. My question is...do you like it or do you think it detracts from the design?

I was actually going to do a small image of the Jeep and Trailer going up the mountain.

The other idea was to do a simple straight line between the colors like the Jeep.

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I always envisioned doing the paint scheme on the trailer to match the Cherokee. I am really undecided if I like this or not. We live in Colorado and 4 miles from the mountains. The Cherokee is Blue Metallic over Silver Metallic. The two colors on the trailer are the exact same paint.

I did a rough sketch of what I am thinking. The lines are not exact. I have taped off the trailer and the proportions are better. My question is...do you like it or do you think it detracts from the design?

I was actually going to do a small image of the Jeep and Trailer going up the mountain.

The other idea was to do a simple straight line between the colors like the Jeep.

So first off, I'm totally into classic two tone paint. I don't think it detracts from the design aspect at all. I think it ties into the Jeep and just makes it flow. I think a design on the paint should be your signature of yourself especially if your going to commercialize your product. I think it looks outstanding...

Reactions: miguel_fzj80

trfkcop

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
First Name
Todd
Last Name
O'Neal
Member #

I think the paint scheme looks great, and really sets your rig apart from others. I would love to see a sketch as you are thinking with the Jeep and trailer... Definitely doesn't detract from the design.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Here is a pix today near home at Camp Dick, Colorado. Elevation 8753 ft. I made a pot of Hazelnut coffee and some hot soup. I am working on a polished diamond plate backing behind and to the side of the stove to keep thing clean. I am also making the mounts for the propane grill so it will mount on the side of the trailer.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Here is a pix today near home at Camp Dick, Colorado. Elevation 8753 ft. I made a pot of Hazelnut coffee and some hot soup. I am working on a polished diamond plate backing behind and to the side of the stove to keep thing clean. I am also making the mounts for the propane grill so it will mount on the side of the trailer.

Wish I could have joined you Tom....

Reactions: old_man