Byronscout80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Sanders
Who put that in there ? That's no better than an old 304 2 barrel. I have an old 67 B1200 International long bed binder with the 304 I overhauled 23 years ago but only has 25,000 miles since new short block. I had plans to make it into a 4x4 with an old crew cab I had stored on a friends lot. She was gone and someone stole it and was never recovered. So much for that build. I'm rural so I just drive the old girl to the dump and back once a week now.
It's the factory engine! Lol

Reactions: Ralph

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
I dunno about old.. I like to refference my old ranger for this one. While it is an 07, its got a few old things in it that I like. For example :

• 3.0L "Vulcan" V6 that first rolled out in 1986 and was somewhat unchanged through the years.
  • 5 speed Mazda m5od, designed in 1988
  • Ford 8.8" axle, designed in 1983
  • Main cab and box design 1993
  • Frame design 1983
  • Torsion bar suspension design from 1995.
There are a few other vehicles out there built on the old school mentality where very little changed over the years. So while my ranger is almost 14 years old, its design is basically from 1993 with only a few cosmetic changes.

I love the style of older vehicles. And I love thier simplicity. Easy to own, easy to fix, no computers. (Even if mine has efi and a pcm in charge). No traction control or ABS on mine. When things were cheaper, and way more simple I think they were more reliable.

(Edit: Ill be damned, mine does have ABS.)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I dunno about old.. I like to refference my old ranger for this one. While it is an 07, its got a few old things in it that I like. For example :

• 3.0L "Vulcan" V6 that first rolled out in 1986 and was somewhat unchanged through the years.
  • Frame design 1983
There are a few other vehicles out there built on the old school mentality where very little changed over the years. So while my ranger is almost 14 years old, its design is basically from 1993 with only a few cosmetic changes.

I love the style of older vehicles. And I love thier simplicity. Easy to own, easy to fix, no computers. (Even if mine has efi and a pcm in charge). No traction control or ABS on mine. When things were cheaper, and way more simple I think they were more reliable.

I agree so much with you about simplicity. I didn't ask for all these new devices that have doubled and tripled the cost of autos, especially trucks. I bought a new 1968 ford ranger off the show room floor for $2750.00, I could have bought one out in the yard that were work trucks for $1800 but they didn't have air conditioning or fancy upholstery or am/fm radios.
I think every maker should make at least one affordable truck that is old school including carbs.,rubber floor mats, simple upholstery etc. Simple as Simon !

Reactions: 64Trvlr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

• Frame design 1983

1993 isn’t old, it has an ecu and emissions bs. I don’t even classify my 89 Bronco as old...earlier in this thread we defined old as pre 79 and even then that’s kind of sketchy

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's cool!

Me too, starting with the 200 HP Porsche engine in the back to get it moving. Although it probably has a 36 or 40 HP engine in it.
My guess would be a small block Chevy since the wheel base is stretched and I doubt a swing axle VW gear box. Total custom build.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
My guess would be a small block Chevy since the wheel base is stretched and I doubt a swing axle VW gear box. Total custom build.
I remember swapping a turbocharged Corvair engine and transaxle in a bug with a buddy of mine. It was pretty fast for a bug.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I remember swapping a turbocharged Corvair engine and transaxle in a bug with a buddy of mine. It was pretty fast for a bug.
Yup, I had a friend who did the same thing back in the 60's. It was awesome and about the baddest thing around in a quarter mile race.
We use to call it the Hunchback of Motor Lane.

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

No, they used the stock engine. As you would expect they were slow. These were all custom built by the owners using plans from R.Q. Riley. R.Q Riley had a bunch of plans for different car/trikes/RV's most of them designed in the 70's. Nearly all are still available on their web page.
Back in the late 70's to early 80's these plans and the built up vehicle would appear in Popular Mechanics, Popular Science and other magazines. There are several I would love to build.
See the plans here:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
No, they used the stock engine. As you would expect they were slow. These were all custom built by the owners using plans from R.Q. Riley. R.Q Riley had a bunch of plans for different car/trikes/RV's most of them designed in the 70's. Nearly all are still available on their web page.
Back in the late 70's to early 80's these plans and the built up vehicle would appear in Popular Mechanics, Popular Science and other magazines. There are several I would love to build.
See the plans here:
I remember seeing the beetle motor homes fairly often in the early 80s.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

It's the factory engine! Lol
Confirmed. SD33 and TD42 are one of its kind in-line 6 engines. First installed in american INTERLATIONAL HARVESTER SCOUT in numbers of 6500 units and NISSAN PATROL from 80's all over the world. Second in legendary NISSAN PATROL Y60 immortal engine