Old settlers trails

• HTML tutorial

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

I was wondering is it possible to follow the old settlers trails or have the trails been covered over with tarmac?
I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I know here in Nebraska, there are "Auto-Tour" routes that kind of follow the Oregon Trail and the Morman Trail. Alot of it is on gravel roads, and follows along the approx. route, going by historical markers and the like. I used to have a map book of them as they crossed Nebraska that I picked up in Kearney at the Great Platte River Road Archway (also worth a stop, as it sits over I-80) but I seem to have misplaced the book. Hope that helps answer your question. Now, I have to find that book again...lol

Reactions: steve_birdsall

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I know here in Nebraska, there are "Auto-Tour" routes that kind of follow the Oregon Trail and the Morman Trail. Alot of it is on gravel roads, and follows along the approx. route, going by historical markers and the like. I used to have a map book of them as they crossed Nebraska that I picked up in Kearney at the Great Platte River Road Archway (also worth a stop, as it sits over I-80) but I seem to have misplaced the book. Hope that helps answer your question. Now, I have to find that book again...lol
Try this link, https://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/publications.htm

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

South Dakota has similar routes that follow the homestead trails and other roads that were used to link the small communities. I'll try to find the link when I get a chance.

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

Kinda glad @Roger352 asked about this. I had forgotten about these and with us in the process of buying a house there isn't going to be any big vacation this year. I can drive 40 minutes south of home and be on the Oregon Trail tour routes, now we have somewhere to head on a day trip or two. Thanks again Roger!

Foggy Designs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Austin, TX
Member #

I was wondering about this exactly. I would love to do the Santa Fe trail picking up in OK and heading in. But it seems that most of it is paved.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Neb_Sojourner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

York Nebraska, USA
Member #

I was wondering about this exactly. I would love to do the Santa Fe trail picking up in OK and heading in. But it seems that most of it is paved.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
You may want to check into that a bit. The route listed for the Oregon Trail here in Nebraska lists all paved roads and highways, but I know that once your out there, and following the signs, there is a lot of gravel. We have chased several geocaches that are placed at historical marker signs for it, well off the paved roads.