Old Nc 105

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Hike is very easy, view is wonderful. Go to the Hawksbill and Chimneys as well. If you like to climb or rappel it can be fun.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Is there any good spots to camp along and are they in close proximity to trailheads. Also any good mountain bike trails?

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app
there are lots of pull off camp sites along the road. They are pretty close to trail heads. Most mountain bikers use the main roads, but you can cross the numerous gated fire roads and ride I am pretty sure.

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

This is not a hard road to run in Western NC, but the views are awesome. Up is from NC 126 above Lake James, Down the road Starts in Linville Falls NC off highway 183. The road is an old state road from the 4o's. It is wide, gravel and dirt. It can be very rough with washboards and diagonal washouts, but a good front wheel drive can do it. You will work along the Linville River Gorge with good trail heads to lead you into the valley where the trout fishing is tremendous. Be ready for a hard hike both up and down. You will see Shortoff Mountain, Table Rock mountain, both very impressive rock formations. Stop at Wiseman's view near the top and get a view of the Gorge, and across to the famous Brown Mountains. Stay til dark and you may witness the mysterious Brown Mountain Lights. This road is a good afternoon drive.
Do you have a better description of where to find this road?? Is camping along the road an option as well??

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Do you have a better description of where to find this road?? Is camping along the road an option as well??
You can camp along the road, there are several pull off for that. How specific do you want for directions? Take NC 126 out of Morganton NC, you will come to a hard right turn onto Old NC 105. Let me know if you need more directions than that and I can try to help you as much as i can.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
You can camp along the road, there are several pull off for that. How specific do you want for directions? Take NC 126 out of Morganton NC, you will come to a hard right turn onto Old NC 105. Let me know if you need more directions than that and I can try to help you as much as i can.
Awesome! I am in fayettenam right now. Headed up there early. I am going to ride my bicycle tomorrow and try to hit this road Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: kopper99

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

Thanks a ton for the suggestion, I have found that on a map, should be good enough for me to find. Just wanted to find a place with some decent views and a place for the dogs to run around a little.

Reactions: Big E

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

Hope it went well, he rain cleared out and it should have been a good day in the mountains.
Went absolutely great!! Perfect weather Monday, Monday night right when we got in the tent it rained just enough to be peaceful. Stopped raining just before we woke up this morning. Gorgeous views, dogs had fun too!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using OB Talk mobile app

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Ah, finally looked up 105 on the map. I know this road well, just didn't realize. We've always referred to it as Kistler Highway (KHW). I spend a lot of free time backpacking in Linvillle Gorge, and 105 provides access to the West side of the Gorge. Lots of good spots to camp. If you're willing to throw a pack on the Gorge is amazing. Tough hiking though.

Some random shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

Ah, finally looked up 105 on the map. I know this road well, just didn't realize. We've always referred to it as Kistler Highway (KHW). I spend a lot of free time backpacking in Linvillle Gorge, and 105 provides access to the West side of the Gorge. Lots of good spots to camp. If you're willing to throw a pack on the Gorge is amazing. Tough hiking though.

Some random shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where do you start your hikes at? Me and the gf are looking to hike down to the river and camp near there. Is it super hard?

Sent from my SM-N920T using OB Talk mobile app