Old mines, ghost towns, etc......

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I seem to have this unhealthy obsession for searching out old mines, abandoned buildings, old rail beds, and stuff like that. Much to my Wife's dismay I can smell a 100 year old tailing pile from a mile away, and am drawn to grown over rail beds like a bee to honey.
Lucky for me, I live in an area with a very rich history of mining. I've spent many a day dragging my Wife along to find yet another "hole in the ground" as she calls them.
To me, aside from the obvious interest in looking and touching the old relics of days gone by, is the fascination of how these men lived and earned a dollar all those years ago.
Anyways, here's a few pictures from various adventures out to locate some lost history.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I'd like to know how the miners got up to that spot on the side of the mountain. I bet that would be a great place to check out.
Great pictures.
It's called the Mascot Mine, and sits above Heldey, BC. It was derelict and left to rot until the local First Nations Band restored it and started offering tours. I've been twice now. They truck you to the top and you walk down 660 steps to the mine. It is hard to explain how awesome it is when you are there. It literally feels like you are hanging off the mountain.

http://www.mascotmine.com/ - to check it out

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Between the scenery, elevation, the buildings, and the wheelin' it takes to get there, yes.

I've heard it's in a bad state, the large main building is almost completely down.

Up the trail a ways is a hole in the ground about 18" round that is an active claim, it's crazy.

This is where Copper found a bear and brought it back to us...

Reactions: Graeman and O.Dfj