Oklahoma Adventure Trail with Turtleback Trailers - 10/05/2018

• HTML tutorial

4.0LitersToFreedom

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma City, Ok
Member #

Well, we are a week out and I am getting exciting. I have been driving my TJ as much as possible the past few days hoping to shake out any issues. So far she seems to be running strong, I think I just need to change the oil and load her up. Its looking like my wife and dogs are staying home, so I'll be flying solo on this one.

@SwampcatJeep are the campsite locations plotted exactly where we are going? It didn't look they were plotting in established campgrounds, so I was wondering if they weren't exact or you had some sweet off grid spots lined up.

Reactions: SwampcatJeep

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Well, we are a week out and I am getting exciting. I have been driving my TJ as much as possible the past few days hoping to shake out any issues. So far she seems to be running strong, I think I just need to change the oil and load her up. Its looking like my wife and dogs are staying home, so I'll be flying solo on this one.

@SwampcatJeep are the campsite locations plotted exactly where we are going? It didn't look they were plotting in established campgrounds, so I was wondering if they weren't exact or you had some sweet off grid spots lined up.
The plots are exact. I think I've found some sweet dispersed camping spots. I didn't get a chance to pre-run anything. So we might have to call an audible, but that's part of the fun, right? [emoji16][emoji16]

turtlebacktim

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

mission,tx
Member #

Hi all cant wait for s great weekend on the Oklahoma Adventure Route...look forward to meeting all of you and demonstrating our brand new Expedition trailer.
. See you on friday..safe travels..Tim

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
What time on the morning of the 6th. Would I need to be at the sec RALLY POINT?
I would like to be on the road no later than 9am. We've got a fair bit of driving to do Saturday.

In fact, I may be moving the last stop coordinates. I've been plotting out the route between stops using the Gaia GPS app, trying to stay on backroads and trails as much as possible. As a result, the drive time from RP2 to RP3 is getting a little long for one day.

Alternately, I could just use Google maps with 'avoid highways' to get us there faster while still taking the scenic route.

Which would you guys prefer? Cover more ground and hit the stops as planned, or take a slower route and maybe have to call an audible on the stopping point?

4.0LitersToFreedom

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma City, Ok
Member #

I would like to be on the road no later than 9am. We've got a fair bit of driving to do Saturday.

In fact, I may be moving the last stop coordinates. I've been plotting out the route between stops using the Gaia GPS app, trying to stay on backroads and trails as much as possible. As a result, the drive time from RP2 to RP3 is getting a little long for one day.

Alternately, I could just use Google maps with 'avoid highways' to get us there faster while still taking the scenic route.

Which would you guys prefer? Cover more ground and hit the stops as planned, or take a slower route and maybe have to call an audible on the stopping point?
I'm cool with mixing in a little 2 lane blacktop. We definitely want to have plenty of time to do the loop through the Kiamichi mountains around Talimena scenic drive. The forest roads through there should be really cool. Cavanal Hill and/or Heavener Runestone are some other POI we could check out if we wanted. I'm flexible on campsites too, I'm not sure how far we will get on Friday.

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Well, tomorrow's the big day! Y'all ready?

I just finished adding some more detail to the RP page (here). Waypoints have changed slightly but shouldn't impact anyone's plans who might be meeting us along the way. I've also created a Google Maps version of our planned route, which you can check out here --> https://goo.gl/maps/y5NbG7jXHZm

We're not following the 'OAT' exactly, but I think everyone will have a good time. Big thanks to @4.0LitersToFreedom for the help with some last minute waypoint and route tweaks.

Meetup is at 5PM, but if you come in early, no worries, the parking lot there is plenty big and there's a few food/coffee places, a Walgreen's, a tire shop, and an O'Reilly's Auto Parts all within 1/4 mile. Plus I live about 5 miles from there.

Let me know if you need anything.

My number is 918-803-3045

See y'all tomorrow!

Reactions: 4.0LitersToFreedom