US Midwest Ohio Valley Overland's Trans Hoosier Overland Route (T.H.O.R.)

• HTML tutorial

Tacoma Adventure Seeker

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Auburn, IN.
First Name
John
Last Name
Bauman
Member #

Interested in the trip, but would have to bail on Monday or Tuesday evening. If you don't fill your party to your max I would be interested in going.

CrewmaxTRDRockWarrior

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Indiana
Hey Recon32, I noticed your interest in doing some weekend trips. I'm from Auburn and also interested in getting out on the weekends. Do you have any particular places you like to go? If your interested in meeting up feel free to reach out.
John
Hey guys I'm in Indy. Maybe a few of us could get together one weekend for a small day trip or something. I'm down!

Reactions: hoosierboy

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I am from southwest Ohio and interested in this.

RevJackDaniel

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Elizabethtown, KY
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Sounds like a great trip. I’m already committed that week and can’t consider joining. But encouraged to see stuff happening nearby, I will most definitely keep an eye out for future trips!

WIGGLE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Carmel, IN
Member #

Any more info on the route? GPS or anything? I'd love to go but not sure I could do the whole time, would like to maybe meet up for part of it though.

Inspiration overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bourbonnais, IL, USA
Member #

I'm interested in this and may even parlay the rest of the week into a Michigan, Wisconsin (TWAT), Illinois (back home) long range trip. I would even consider a LBL starting point the day before just to get an extra state in.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

The OP seems to have vanished. One post with a route but no other replies since. I hope this is still happening but I am beginning to wonder.

Reactions: hoosierboy

kyana

Rank I

Contributor III

Looks like there's enough interest in this to justify another trip, even if this one falls through. Maybe enough people have bits and pieces to put together a similar route. I'd be willing to do some exploring/ doing a test run to try and come up with something. Anyone that can provide any parts would be appreciated.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

HB, I'm interested in this. Could use more details. Thanks!
OK here are some more details at my blog and be sure to check out the tentative schedule link

http://www.ohiovalleyoverland.com/

OHIO VALLEY OVERLAND presents:

The Trans Hoosier Overland Route (T.H.O.R.)

What: THOR is a 450 mile overlanding route that connects the Hoosier National Forest to the Indiana Dunes National Park by gravel and dirt roads. The THOR also connects three different off roading parks in western Indiana along with interesting cultural attractions along the way.

Where: The southern terminus of the route is at Buzzard Roost in Hoosier National Forest and the northern terminus is at the Indiana Dunes National Park.

When: The inaugural running of the route will start on June 9 and last until June 12.

Why : This route is designed to highlight the diversity of the Hoosierland. It highlights not only several of the offroading parks of Indiana but cultural and natural attractions that make Indiana unique. The route highlights environmental stewardship with nightly presentations by experts in overlanding, trail building and environmental concerns in Indiana such as endangered species like the hellbender salamander, the emergence of bear and cougar in Indiana and need for hunting to help balance the populations of whitetail deer.

How: Participants will drive their own vehicles from point to point along the route. The route will be published using Gaia software in a gpx format on June 9. There will also be written instructions provided. Good navigational skills and map reading are a must because many of the areas that will be traveled through will not have cell service. Many of the road we will be using are unmarked. There is no replacement for good map reading ability and a compass.

Who can attend: Anyone who is interested in overlanding and can provide and drive their own vehicle is welcome. Overlanding with a group takes the edge off living on the edge. That said you are expected to be fully self supporting on your trip. Food, fuel, shelter, clothing, toilet facilities are not provided for on this trip. We will work to help each other if there is an emergency but you are expected to have working knowledge of your vehicle and how to do basics like setting up camp and change your own tire if need arises. Please leave pets and firearms at home. (Long story on this one but suffice to say we once had an issue)

What to bring: First a foremost a good attitude and a spirit of cooperation. A capable vehicle is a must for overlanding. The level of difficulty is really up to each driver. There will be options to test your rig and your skills or you can just watch others and enjoy the mayhem. The choice is really your. With so many side trips and attractions it is a al acart kind of trip.

When: We will meet at Buzzard Roost Saturday June 8 at 8 am convoy to Interlake then back to Buzzard Roost in the evening to camp out before heading North on Sunday morning. Some people will be arriving Friday evening June 7 to get a camping spot. Spots are very limited and first come first serve.

Why : The Trans Hoosier Overland Route is designed to link three offroading parks together along with interesting stops along the way all while sticking to unpaved gravel and dirt surfaces. The goal of the THOR is to highlight the unique offroading, environmental and cultural diversity of the Hoosier State’s unimproved road network.

How: The trip will be by the motor vehicle of your choice. Motorcycles are welcome and encouraged. Four wheel drive vehicles are not needed for most of the route but they are a plus. All vehicles must be street legal and in good repair. The roads are, for the most part, all public so all vehicles must comply with BMV regulations. This means that side by sides, dirt bikes and quads are not allowed.

ROUGH DRAFT SCHEDULE (SO FAR)

Schedule:

June 7 Friday:

Ohio Valley Overland Arrives at Buzzard Roost 4pm for camping pre-run potluck dinner and Check In

June 8 Saturday:

9am-Meet at for convoy to Interlake State Recreation Area.

(please be fueled up before leaving the convoy will not stop for fuel)

10am-leave at for Interlake.

11am-Arrive at Interlake State Recreation Area 200 E. State Road 68 Lynnville, IN

(If you wish to meet at Interlake instead of going to Buzzard Roost first that is fine)

5pm leave for return trip to Buzzard Roost

6pm back at camp

(dinner is on your own)

8pm central group campfire starts

(firewood that has not been processed or does not have USDA certification can no longer be brought on to the forest. The burning of downed trees is ok)

June 9 Sunday:

9am leave for 1st leg Greene-Sullivan State Park

Buzzard Roost to Birdseye

Side Trips

Cave Country Canoe 112 West Main Street Milltown, IN

Patoka Lake Winery 2900 N. Dillard Rd., Birdseye, Indiana 47513

Schwartz Family Restaurant 738 W Governors Trce, Eckerty, IN 47116

Marengo Cave 400 East State Road 64, Marengo, IN 47140

Birdseye to Shoals to Loogootee

Side Trips

Jug Rock Nature Preserve Albright Ln, Shoals, IN 47581

Birdhouse Man 5024 N Private Road 1215 E, Loogootee, IN 47553

Corner Cafe 201 S John F Kennedy Ave, Loogootee, IN 47553

French Lick Spa 8670 IN-56, French Lick, IN 47432

Loogootee to Greene-Sullivan State Forest

6pm Set up camp at Greene Sullivan 2551 S. State Road 159 Dugger, IN 47848

(Base camp at Wampler Lake Campground. Sites are on a first come first serve basis)

Last edited:

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I was at Redbird yesterday and talked to Carman Jackson the director of the property and we are going to try and get a group together to do some volunteers work in early April . Redbird is closed officially until August but with a grassroots push we may be able to get it open sooner

Reactions: Drifterman

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Is this an OB event only?
No...I have posted it in many locations...I am driving the RSVPs to OB To keep everything in one spot for ease of organization...I have put a limit of 20 but if I hit that limit I will raise it...20 seemed like a good number to start with...

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Looks like there's enough interest in this to justify another trip, even if this one falls through. Maybe enough people have bits and pieces to put together a similar route. I'd be willing to do some exploring/ doing a test run to try and come up with something. Anyone that can provide any parts would be appreciated.
It’s not going to fall through...it’s rock solid...I will most likely do a fall running...then next winter link it to a Trans Michigan trip...stay tuned!