Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

So I'm trying to understand what you're saying, one paragraph says 1 ton trucks do well braking trailers the next says there's a problem. I think all you need is a quality controller the works with all your trailers and can be turned off from the cab without having to get out and unplug it.

What's really cute is a $100,000 truck with a substandard brake controller from the factory. I hope you spent $100 or so on a quality controller that will work when you need it.
Prodigy P2 allows you to turn down the brakes entirely if needed(im sure many controllers do this). I do it all the time when towing with my flatbed trailers. Mainly when they are empty or when I need to back them up for long distances or in tight spaces. So, I agree. I would rather run brakes on almost anything and adjust as needed.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Interesting replies.
Picture a light Harbor Freight trailer with two small ATVs being pulled by a 1990 Toyota PU with a fiberglass shell on the back. Now do a panic stop at 45 mph and have that very light trailer combo, jack knife you.
One thing people don't understand about trailers is, they push the back of your vehicle up when heavy braking. Now that you made the back of your tow rig lighter, if your not stopping straight, you can be pushed sideways. I have also had this happen towing my jeep on a tow bar behind my dually with a 4000 lb Lance camper.
People can go through life and never have a problem, that's fine. I have had issues. When I do, I research and try to figure out how not to have this ever happen again.
On my M-100, before the RTT, driving down a steep soft hill, the 700 lb trailer kept trying to push the back of my TJ sideways. Swapped the axle for one with brakes and never looked back.
All my trailers will have brakes no matter how light. The key to this whole mess is the controller. I also run the Prodigy controllers. Most opinions I have read over the years are based on people who have only tried one or two designs, listened to their "friend" and or used older out dated systems.
When it comes to my gear and my vehicles, I don't want any issues. My OCD kicks in and I go out of my way to make it what I consider correct and safe for me. As I stated earlier, peoples opinions will vary. For most, once they get bit by something they will either blame what bit them or find out why. Its easier to blame what bit them.

Also, I didn't watch the video at the beginning, I'm at work and its hard to watch them here.
Great info. I am on the same thought as you. One more thing ill add is that the size of the brakes on a light weight trailer could be to large for a brake controller to control properly. This little trailer is very light, about 600 pounds empty. I used a 2,000 axle with brakes rated for a 2,000 pound axle. They are very small. something like 8". Super tiny! But, i find that they are very adjustable because of that and the tires do not lock up. Im with you I want trailer brakes on everything and than dial the amount of braking in for the load or situation.

• Love
Reactions: M Rose and smritte

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That's exactly it.

Crappy electric brakes lack modulation when they're scaled down for small trailers. They become unpredictable. And any mud getting up in them makes it even worse.