Offline maps for tablet or smartphone....what app do you use?

• HTML tutorial

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Not certain this is the place to ask however....

Does anyone have an app they would recommend for camping locations? There seem to be some decent state park based apps but I have not had luck with something that lists all types of camping.
Ultimate Campground is an excellent app.
iOverlander is ok too.

Reactions: ClearwaterScott

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder thanks much for the suggestions. UC looks to be more comprehensive. Now if I figure out how to route, camping and fly fishing all on the same map.
Gaia has a large POI database that shows all of the state campgrounds. It won't show open area camping but can show borders of land. So you can identify if something is national forest or not. Worst case find where a campground, etc is and add your own waypoints into GAIA.

Reactions: ClearwaterScott

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've had Orux maps downloaded for years, but just last night I sat down to explore what is actually capable of. So far I really like it. I downloaded the Opentopo maps for a large area around the house and then imported a KMZ from Google I put together for a day trip just to see how it would work.

This morning I recorded my drive to work to get a route and learn to share it. I'm going to try to run it tomorrow when we start toward Richmond for Frostfest.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I was also wondering if anyone uses a Windows 10 laptop for mapping? We bought my wife a new laptop for school and she wound up using her old one because Windows 10 isn't compatible with the software the school uses. I'm wondering what kind of GPS dongles you would use and what map programs are useful for overlanding if anyone has any suggestions.

Last edited:

SursOverland

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Have a Galaxy Tab S 10" set up as my GPS tool in the truck. Use the BackCountry app. Have tried the CalTopo map so far in one area this past weekend. Some of the trails there seem to be outdated on the map but its a WMA that's also used for logging so wouldnt be surprised if logging and replanting has relocated some of them.

BeardedJeeper-JKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Wooden
Member #

So i have an ipad mini and a macbook - does anyone know if any of these apps work on both these??? my thoughts are that it might be easier to plan trips and plot them onto the app from the macbook and have them sync'd to my ipad... or are these just as easy to use on the ipad???

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So i have an ipad mini and a macbook - does anyone know if any of these apps work on both these??? my thoughts are that it might be easier to plan trips and plot them onto the app from the macbook and have them sync'd to my ipad... or are these just as easy to use on the ipad???
Here goes that ole broken record. :)

Gaia GPS for iOS! You use that on your iPad and the web based version on your MacBook to plan routes. Both will sync with each other. As an alternative I prefer to review other people's tracks and waypoints in a program called AZDE , https://getadze.com

That way if the track is bad or has too many waypoints etc I can look at it in AZDE and then never have that info in Gaia. If you build a track in AZDE you would have to save the gpx file and then import it to Gaia but that is easy to do.

Reactions: BeardedJeeper-JKU

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Running iPad mini, dual 150 antenna and Gaia. The larger iPad was too big for my rig.
Used to occasionally lose link with the antenna or freeze up. Latest update mentioned that problem specifically and fixed it.
Absolutely love it!

Just gotta keep the amount of overlays minimized or it's constantly refreshing the screen.
USGS and street works well.
Great detail and info on the usgs map. Lists every mine around [emoji106]

Reactions: DaveSLC

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Here goes that ole broken record. :)

Gaia GPS for iOS! You use that on your iPad and the web based version on your MacBook to plan routes. Both will sync with each other. As an alternative I prefer to review other people's tracks and waypoints in a program called AZDE , https://getadze.com

That way if the track is bad or has too many waypoints etc I can look at it in AZDE and then never have that info in Gaia. If you build a track in AZDE you would have to save the gpx file and then import it to Gaia but that is easy to do.
I've been looking for a quality desktop GPX editor. How do you lie AZDE? Anything you don't like about it? Is it fairly user friendly?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I've been looking for a quality desktop GPX editor. How do you lie AZDE? Anything you don't like about it? Is it fairly user friendly?
It's ok. I have not seen anything else that was better. I don't do a lot with it other than view tracks and combine multiple tracks into one GPX file. I have never tried to build any routes with it. The map layers are limited. There is a free version to try out though so give it a whirl.

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KM6LUN GMRS: WRJN599
Here is a good explanation of why you can only download small tiles:

http://forum.leadnavsystems.com/discussion/73/saving-larger-area-for-offline-use-w-full-zoom

The customer service from LeadNav is top notch. I've used it for many various trails and it has always pulled through.
I second LeadNav. That is what I have been using along with CaliforniaTrailMaps which has overlays with trails and other topos etc but is limited to central/socal. Curious on checking out Gaia. I had seen that but was recommended LeadNav so went with that first.

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

For MVUM's PDF Maps is the best although I never use it for running a track on top of the maps. Everyone knows I am the #1 Gaia GPS cheerleading in the Overlanding world. You can find other map sources and import them into Gaia. I just wrote a tutorial on how to do this. Heck there was a guy who left Hema and went to Gaia and said he liked the HERE Maps in Hema. I am not sure why but I figured out how to import those into Gaia. Stay away from Hema. It is a bad clone of Gaia and has not been updated since it's initial release. While they may get their act together and fix bugs while also enhancing the app their track record is worse than poor. They have done nothing in 5 months. Gaia, for example, has had 7 updates since. Not sure how many BCN has had because the Play store doesn't easily display this.

It is very help if you state whether you will be using an iPad or Android tablet because the offerings are very different. Gaia GPS is offered on both platforms while Backcountry Navigator is only Android. Some people like Motion X GPS for iOS but I think downloading maps is a major pain and I don't believe there are any route planning features. $4.99 app vs $20.00 app.

Google "Gaia VS Backcountry Navigator" and you can find a blog post by them comparing the differences. Of course Gaia says they are better but there is some factual information in the post. Gaia is also VERY responsive in their user forums via Reddit.

If I could figure out a way to import PDF MVUM's into Gaia I would. Maybe they will do that some day. I am hoping to be put on the Beta team for Gaia and that would give me a bit more knowledge of future enhancements.
I would like to see your tutorial. I bought Gaia and downloaded the map for my home area just to play around with it an learn it and it showed my neiborhood under construction. I have lived their 5 years and there were homes there like 2 hours before I moved there.

Having said that I want to believe show me the light, I am new to this and you guys are speaking a tad bit of Chinese still.

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

I presently use it with a Dual 150 external GPS but will switch to a Delorme unit at some point. Gaia is awesome in its own right as well. I'm happy having them both.
Does the Delorme unit work like the Dual 150 or 160?Are you able to connect the tablet to it for off-line use?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would like to see your tutorial. I bought Gaia and downloaded the map for my home area just to play around with it an learn it and it showed my neiborhood under construction. I have lived their 5 years and there were homes there like 2 hours before I moved there.

Having said that I want to believe show me the light, I am new to this and you guys are speaking a tad bit of Chinese still.
If the above is a tad confusing importing custom maps will likely be very confusing but you can check out my articles on 4XOA.com

You might try a different map layer for your area. There are a number of them included with Gaia to see if your neighborhood shows up.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Does the Delorme unit work like the Dual 150 or 160?Are you able to connect the tablet to it for off-line use?
Yes that is exactly what it does along with the safety and communication features.

JH79

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi, just bought a ipad 4 mini. Downloaded MotionX HD. Looking for a satellite map to download for offline use. Anyone know which one can I download? Thanks a Mil.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Last edited:

Rakkasan3187

Rank I

Contributor III

NW AR
I use MotionX here overseas for work. I also use Footpath to create routes then overlay them on MotionX. I found that the internal GPS on the iPad is not as accurate as using my Bad Elf GPS. I do agree that I wish they had more maps for offline use, but I just use a wifi puck to update maps on the go.