Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
"Kent R" sent mea link. WOW I did not know so many OB members lived in Nevada, especially here in the Southern part of the State. I had commented in another thread where i had extracted that their was at least 10 members in the Las Vegas area. MMM....big surprise when i opened this thread.:sunglasses:

I do not do Facebook or twitter, so my email address will have to do for now. I am still learning my way within the forum. I have lived in Vegas most of my life, so i have seen the city change immensely. I drive the D-max in my avatar, a 2003 2500HD 4x4. My work schedule is all over the place...weekends, holidays, times, and changes all the time. I still hope to make some local 'meet & greets' and some rides.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Well as official and @LVCoffeeguy and I can be:)

We wanted to follow up on the meeting and thank you guys for attending! Patrick and I are looking at two near term events - A group Camp at Mt. Charleston to get out of the heat and then the recovery class we discussed.

We are working out logistics so stay tuned. We will update this thread with Date, times and events as well as create Rally Points and FB events! Hopefully we can reach all of you that are interested!

Ask: For those of you that wanted to be listed in the member directory please email me or message me here. I will send you the link to the file. I want to make sure that it's not just available to everyone so I won't post the general link here.

Also, if you are uncomfortable with posting your number in the directory, here is how you can get a free google voice number!

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Google-Voice-Phone-Number
How is this coming along? Have done some recovery, but nothing as a official school class.

Blotterhead

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Member #

Does anyone want to go on a very short trip tomorrow to Desert Hills tomorrow (11/4/18)?

I was thinking of driving up to but not into the caves, having lunch, and heading back. The difficulty level is probably 2 out of 5, if that.

Takes about 20 minutes from downtown Vegas. I live about 10 minutes south of the strip on the Henderson border.

Probably would be 3-4 hours from the time you leave your home to the time you return, not a huge all day thing and a great chance to meet members! I just moved here so I'd love to meet any of you.

If no one responds and it's past 11/4, still feel free to hit me up anytime for overlanding adventures!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Does anyone want to go on a very short trip tomorrow to Desert Hills tomorrow (11/4/18)?

I was thinking of driving up to but not into the caves, having lunch, and heading back. The difficulty level is probably 2 out of 5, if that.

Takes about 20 minutes from downtown Vegas. I live about 10 minutes south of the strip on the Henderson border.

Probably would be 3-4 hours from the time you leave your home to the time you return, not a huge all day thing and a great chance to meet members! I just moved here so I'd love to meet any of you.

If no one responds and it's past 11/4, still feel free to hit me up anytime for overlanding adventures!

Was up there exploring about 20 years ago. I thought they closed access to it, when they built the catch basin. There is the big cave with the fork in it. We went to the left, took about an hour+ to make our way around. Very neat, watch for snakes. Going past the old mill footings, there is another cave system that has collapsed downward. Be careful as it is fairly deep. You can see the old RR bed where they went up and doubled back on itself below the footings. The Track bed was once very visible, and you could trace it back to where it crossed HWY 160 just east of buffalo, and east across rainbow blvd. Rhodes Ranch and other development have obscured most of it, but there are a couple of spots where the track bed is still visible near taco bell near buffalo. There once was a surviving rock ravine support for a bridge in a big gully where Rhodes Ranch is now.

It sounds like a nice little jaunt, i hope you find some fellow explorers. I have prior obligations, and live off windmill so it would have been a easy drive west.

PS: new batteries are your friend:sunglasses:if you do decide to go in.

Blotterhead

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Member #

Was up there exploring about 20 years ago. I thought they closed access to it, when they built the catch basin. There is the big cave with the fork in it. We went to the left, took about an hour+ to make our way around. Very neat, watch for snakes. Going past the old mill footings, there is another cave system that has collapsed downward. Be careful as it is fairly deep. You can see the old RR bed where they went up and doubled back on itself below the footings. The Track bed was once very visible, and you could trace it back to where it crossed HWY 160 just east of buffalo, and east across rainbow blvd. Rhodes Ranch and other development have obscured most of it, but there are a couple of spots where the track bed is still visible near taco bell near buffalo. There once was a surviving rock ravine support for a bridge in a big gully where Rhodes Ranch is now.

It sounds like a nice little jaunt, i hope you find some fellow explorers. I have prior obligations, and live off windmill so it would have been a easy drive west.

PS: new batteries are your friend:sunglasses:if you do decide to go in.
Wow, I'm at 215 and Windmill, we must be close. I wasn't planning to go into the caves, at least not on this trip. And I'm not even sure what we'd find. I just saw somewhat recent youtube footage of some guys driving up in a bronco and a 4runner, bronco was RWD and made it. Thought it would be fun to explore.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Wow, I'm at 215 and Windmill, we must be close. I wasn't planning to go into the caves, at least not on this trip. And I'm not even sure what we'd find. I just saw somewhat recent youtube footage of some guys driving up in a bronco and a 4runner, bronco was RWD and made it. Thought it would be fun to explore.
Very close indeed, just west, off Robindale. Do you have the you tube link and/or title? I would enjoy watching that.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It's gone now, but once upon a time, there was a water stop on the way west, for steam engines to fill up at, before heading west to Blue Diamond mine, also around 160/buffalo area. It was finally removed and plugged in the late 1970's . My parents moved here in January of 1966, and everything but the artisian well base footing was gone by then, as the UP had discontinued steam operations by 1961-2? i believe. Everything is of course open pit or reduction mining now, and the area caves we are talking about ceased operation by the 1940's or earlier I believe.

Reactions: Blotterhead
Status
Not open for further replies.