Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Regionalizing the rally may make sense at some point... make it more obtainable for Easterners, Northerners, etc. Like the idea of combining with September Expo in Asheville. Walt

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Merlo

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I like the idea of putting something together in or close to Texas. With lack of public land, I'd have to find someone with private land who wouldn't mind 100 or so rigs and campers.
Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer, TX is my first thought... but it's not exactly "off the grid".

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Hey Everyone, I started this thread back in December and I am excited to see all of you that have expressed interest. If you saw the videos or photos from the last trip but were unable to make it and it looked like fun, let me say it was way more fun than you can imagine. I know Michael has a working date of the last weekend in September but the last I have seen no location has been chosen. Michael has said that the event has outgrown the Edison Campground . A group this large seems like it almost needs a private campground like Edison. I know there are many private pieces of property speckled all through the Sierras.
37°08'25.28" N 119°10'34.92" W
This location is just north of Bald Mountain. My wife and I were wandering through the hills when we found it. It looks like a pack station and would make a perfect spot. I know it would be some work, search the tax rolls, send out letters to the owners, etc. but I am guessing it would cost Overland Bound less and would be a true "off the grid" experience. I can provide several locations of the type if it seems like a good idea and am happy to help with anything needed.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Here's another idea: 37°08'25.28" N 119°10'34.92" W

This is Sand Flats. It is outside of Shaver Lake, east of Fresno in the Sierra National Forest.

It is public land. There is lot's of room for OTG camping.

It is in the "Red Mountain" neighborhood, and there is a network of trails of varying difficulty. https://goo.gl/maps/sdxWp185aX52

Several lakes make good destinations for day trips or dispersed camping. https://goo.gl/maps/QaxEja76PXL2

Unfortunately, if the date is the last weekend of Sept- I won't be able to make it this year. But, this would make a great location!

Randy

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Stumbled across this event when I was looking for overlanding videos on YouTube. I'd definitely be down for the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: WrightRunner