Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
The Overland Bound Rally West 2018 will be held October 5th - 7th in Shaver Lake, CA. This event is situated in the Sierra National Forest with the event HQ and overnight camping areas at Camp Edison.

The weekend includes: Camp site at Camp Edison event area, full dinner both Friday and Saturday, box lunch on Saturday, a variety of trail runs throughout the Sierra National Forest/Bald Mountain OHV all day Saturday, and event swag bag.

Registration is here

Mainly created this to find it easily

Rob M

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Carlos, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I am a new member, and will be attending.
Anyone want to coordinate on a SF Bay rally point so we can meet up and caravan down together?

Reactions: @llouie246

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Are you running an Overland Bound meet-up in the West, NW or SW? My assistant ambassadors and I will be at Rally West and we want to connect with meet-up leaders. (And, if you are interested in starting a meet-up, show up - we can help you!) Let us know what we can do to help all the meet-ups in the OLB family. I was thinking we could meet Sunday morning before bugging out. Bring your coffee and meet with us at Campsite 64. Message me if you are interested or have any suggestions.

Kent, West Region Ambassador
@Kent R
kent@overlandbound.com

@llouie246

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco Bay Area
First Name
LouAnne
Last Name
Laflamme
Member #

I am a new member, and will be attending.
Anyone want to coordinate on a SF Bay rally point so we can meet up and caravan down together?
Hi Rob, I am in Concord and I'm also a new member (and a very green overlander!). Looks like I am going solo on this trip so would love to have someone to tag along with :-)

LouAnne

@llouie246

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco Bay Area
First Name
LouAnne
Last Name
Laflamme
Member #

The Overland Bound Rally West 2018 will be held October 5th - 7th in Shaver Lake, CA. This event is situated in the Sierra National Forest with the event HQ and overnight camping areas at Camp Edison.

The weekend includes: Camp site at Camp Edison event area, full dinner both Friday and Saturday, box lunch on Saturday, a variety of trail runs throughout the Sierra National Forest/Bald Mountain OHV all day Saturday, and event swag bag.

Registration is here

Mainly created this to find it easily
THANK YOU!!! I can't be the only one that has issues navigating the website :-)

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
@llouie246 - Sounds great. I also heard back from another member in San Jose (@Brian Turecek ) - so looks like we have 3 so far.
You should start a rally point (Meet up notice), here is where; https://www.overlandbound.com/rallypoint/

You can do it for the SF Area and places along the route you will be taking. Also will give option to start a thread for the new rally point so people can discuss it.

Example, Arizona is leaving Tucson, heading up to Needles, Ca., Camping shortly after that and in morning driving the remainder to the site. I will be joining them at the camp site.

If you need help, msg me will do what I can

Jim

Reactions: Rob M

Rob M

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Carlos, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Morris
Member #

Thanks for the guidance Jim SoG. Thinking about good Rally Points before posting something merging official. Will reach out for your help if needed.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Rob checked it out, looks great!

See ya at the rally.

Jim

Reactions: Michael

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Guys,

I'm not seeing the Rally Point from the Bay Area listed. Am I looking in the right place?
Rally Point -> Rally Point Events

Thanks

@llouie246

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco Bay Area
First Name
LouAnne
Last Name
Laflamme
Member #

Guys,

I'm not seeing the Rally Point from the Bay Area listed. Am I looking in the right place?
Rally Point -> Rally Point Events

Thanks
Delkaylt yes then look for West in the drop down menu and scroll to the east bay rally point post. Sorry can’t be more helpful right now! LouAnne

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hello all!

I just got back from scouting the trails and they are all awesome this time of year. We will be sending out a trail list and instructions for providing your trail preference. We need to distribute vehicles on these routes - so we ask for your patience with route assignments during the event.

All medium and hard trails require a 2.5 - 3" lift with the exception of the Easy Voyager Rock route.

Now the gory details! I'll try to help as much as possible in this thread of epic. I can't launch into this without letting you all know we are creating an app for Overland Bound Members to make this all so much easier! One Overland Bound App for everything called OB1. Ok, now...

We have created GPX, KML, and KMZ files for you to download. I HIGHLY recommend getting the individual KMZ files and opening those in Google Earth so you can see the terrain and the details. The GPX files (device compatible) are routes and waypoints only. GPX works with your off-road navigation device. You can log on to our forums now to get them, or wait for the trail sign-up and instruction email coming shortly. These trail files include routes, waypoints, points of interest (like big rocks), and telemetry data created by yours truly so you can see route statistics (see attached Image).

Go here to get the trail files now (or wait for email in the next couple days): https://www.overlandbound.com/…/overland-bound-rally-west-…/

Interested in buying a Gaia Subscription? If you are an Overland Bound Member, you get a discount because we called them and said, "You should give Overland Bound Members a discount". Link here: https://www.gaiagps.com/overland_bound/

Additional Trail Information:
====================================
On all trails, take your time. If you lose traction, or spin tires, don't give it more gas. Back up a few inches, and try a slightly different line. Often, a slight angle will allow your vehicle to regain traction. Done correctly, none of the trails should require momentum with a properly prepared rig.

The Bald Mountain Loop: MEDIUM This is the trail we do each year and we rate it as medium. A stock 2WD will not make it. A stock height Tacoma 4WD will make it, but it's probably not worth it. There are two gate-keepers that rate this route a medium due to pitch and clearance required, but the rest of the trail is fairly easy.

Bald Mountain "The Hard Way": HARD This route has a number of 6 to 10" vertical steps on steep trail, and a wide variety of obstacles and terrain. The first real gatekeeper is just beyond a small creek likely to still have water, which means with multiple rigs, it will be a slick pitch. I said pitch.

Brewer Lake: HARD This trail is medium, except for one off-camber area on a ledge that casts it into difficult. On the ledge, it gets tippy, and impatience or carelessness with too much throttle will end poorly.

Voyager Rock: EASY This is an awesome drive past Dinkey Creek into the John Muir Wilderness area, ending at a scenic reservoir. Mason and I called it "Mini-Yosemite". It is mostly paved. The last part of the route is an easy trail with tight corners, and one "Medium" obstacle requiring clearance. We recommend low clearance and long vehicles park just before this obstacle and ride along as passenger in a better prepared rig.

Last edited: