First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
It's that time of year again!
If you are attending the Off the Grid Rally West at Shaver Lake this year and are interested in driving up as one convoy again, please RSVP to this rally point event!

If you are leading a convoy from another state and would like to join up with us for the remainder of your convoy, please RSVP to this event and make mention of how many attendees will be in your convoy. Only the leader needs to RSVP

View Rally Point
Last edited:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

The plan will be roughly the same as last year with some slight variation. The plan will be to leave northwest side of Tucson in the morning, possible pickup stop in the Phoenix area, and a final collection of any northern AZ folks in the Prescott area. We will then head to Granite Mountain in the Mojave Desert for a night of sleep before rolling out in the morning to head to Camp Edison.

Pickup locations and times will be finalized once we have a bit of a roll-call of who is attending.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
The event is: Friday arrival, Saturday trail day, Sunday head out, so three days total. We add a fourth to get there, and likely a fifth to get back - although this convoy is only for the trip THERE, as some people, including myself, do not return directly back to AZ after the event.

Last edited:

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

I would love to go and meet/hangout with some Az overlanders. Will have to work out my schedule.

Reactions: brien

John Bee

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Henderson, NV
First Name
John
Last Name
Broadhurst
Member #

Thanks for the invite, but a previous commitment keeps me from participating. Hopefully next time!

Jon Lee

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas, OR, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Lee
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ON
This sounds like a fun trip. I will have to add this to my calendar next go around! Have fun! -Jon

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am going and interested in the caravan.....I live in Bullhead City, I seen you posted a possible meet up in Prescott, then heading into the Mohave to camp, I am closer to Mohave than Prescott, maybe meet you at camp or on the way to it? What is your projected route?

Jim

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@jim SoG: I suspect we'll be heading up to I40 then west from there to the camp turnoff. If there is nobody from northern/northeastern AZ joining the caravan, we will likely take a more direct route from Phoenix which will shave off an hour or so of drive time. in either of those cases, we'll pass through Needles, CA, so lets just coordinate a meetup spot there as well.

For those who are definitely joining the convoy, please leave a comment with your starting location.

While i'm posting, I also want to point out that this convoy is to a PAID EVENT THAT REQUIRES REGISTRATION. The convoy is, of course, free. I think everybody who has expressed interest so far understands this, but I'll call this out a few times as the date approaches to just as a PSA. Last year there were some RSVPs for the convoy that did not realize until very close to the date that the event required a paid registration (and had already sold out).

Once again, the registration link for the main event is here: Off the Grid Rally West 2018

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Sweet, Ok I can meet in Needles, perfect. I am working on getting the 4th off, got the other days, but need the 4th now but sign me up to meet you in Needles.

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

The plan will be roughly the same as last year with some slight variation. The plan will be to leave northwest side of Tucson in the morning, possible pickup stop in the Phoenix area, and a final collection of any northern AZ folks in the Prescott area. We will then head to Granite Mountain in the Mojave Desert for a night of sleep before rolling out in the morning to head to Camp Edison.

Pickup locations and times will be finalized once we have a bit of a roll-call of who is attending.

Your talking Granite Peak by I40 or the Granite Mtns north of Ft Irwin?

Jim

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@jim SoG Oh yeah, sorry, Granite Peak* thanks for noticing that typo!

Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I will have to meet you at the camp in the morning as I can not (still trying but as of today) get the 4th off work.

So if you got a spot send me the gps or map or whatever and I will meet you all for morning coffee

Jim

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I will have to meet you at the camp in the morning as I can not (still trying but as of today) get the 4th off work.

So if you got a spot send me the gps or map or whatever and I will meet you all for morning coffee

Jim
Will do! I'm not sure how late you work, but it's also an easy enough to access camp spot that driving there in the dark should be no challenge. Remind me again when the date gets closer just to make sure I don't forget to send you coordinates. Do you have a 2m ham radio?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
No ham, got handheld GMRS and CB.
Normally work till 4am ish, gonna try to get out early......

Jim

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Ok, I have GMRS and CB as well so i'll have them listening on GMRS channel 15 and CB channel 16

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Good morning, all!
We're a bit more than a week out from this convoy event, so I think it's time to start planning actual pickup times and locations. I suspect everybody now nows for certain if they will be attending the 2018 Overland Bound Rally or not, so please comment with your intent to join the convoy and most importantly, your starting location.

It might also be valuable to share names and cell phone numbers like we did last year.

Brien | Tucson, AZ | 650-210-6436