Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Great idea to update and finalize Brien, thanks!

Ok I plan on meeting you at the camp (Brien you are supposed to send coords for camp) at sunrise ish (working all night till 4am). If I get off early I will roll in quietly earlier.....Shhh! people sleeping......LOL

I am in Bullhead City (Where CA NV AZ meet on the river).

Jim 928-278-8555

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Here's the campsite we'll be heading for. This is the same one we used last year. Note: there are a number of dispersed spots around here, and they are first come first served. I'll try to head to the one marked by this waypoint, but if it's taken, we'll just head to one nearby. Look for our silver Jeep JKU and our grey Turtleback Expedition trailer.

The plan is to wake up at camp early Friday morning and get back on the road by about 7:30am to make it to Shaver Lake by about 3pm.

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/waypoint/945be1f33623c7413e2a2a9dce0a6685/?layer=usfs-mvum,caltopousfs2016,GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Got it, What time do you figure to get to the camp spot?, just in case there is a last minute cancellation and I can get Thursday off.....

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@jim SoG it depends a bit on whether anybody else will be joining us, but we'll probably aim to arrive at camp by 4pm or so. Enough time to let the kids run around and play a bit before nightfall.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Surely there will be more than you and I from Arizona going......or I would think.

Jim

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@YPD1 will also be attending, but he's working Thursday and coming from Yuma. He'll be trying to connect with us either at camp or on the way up. Last year there were only a handful in the convoy as well. I think the long haul up to Shaver Lake is unappealing to many people.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I think it is just under 8 hours from Bullhead, so for you guys I can see it being a drive.....

Jim

AZ Explorer

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phx, AZ
Member #

@YPD1 will also be attending, but he's working Thursday and coming from Yuma. He'll be trying to connect with us either at camp or on the way up. Last year there were only a handful in the convoy as well. I think the long haul up to Shaver Lake is unappealing to many people.
Hey Brien, Jim
I also plan on joining you guys on the convoy from Phoenix. A good meeting place on the southern end of town is off of the I-10 and Riggs road. On the east side of the interstate there is a gas station. Let me know the time and I’ll be there, I have a CB and Ham.

Mynor 602-284-7006

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Update: @AZ Explorer and I will meet up at the Love's Travel Center at 7001 W Sundust Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226 at around 10:30am. As i'll be coming up from Tucson, the timing may be a little before or after 10:30, but it shouldn't vary too much. We haven't heard from anybody else heading up, so if there's any others joining from the Phoenix area, meet us there! From that location we will head directly north west to the campsite for the night.

I tried to update Rally Point with the waypoints for both the meetup spot in Chandler and the Thursday night camp spot, but it keeps blanking out my waypoints whenever I save the event.

HERE THEY ARE:
Thursday:
10:30am: Love's Travel Stop, Chandler, AZ
4:30-5:30pm: Arrive at the camp location in the Mohave Wilderness
Friday:
7:30-8am: Roll out of the campsite to finish the rest of the drive up to Shaver Lake
3pm: Arrive at Camp Edison!!

My cell: 650-210-6436
I'll also have my ham radio on 146.46, my call sign is K7XPO

OVERL8ND

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson AZ
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Piccolo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DJX
You should post this as an “event” in the FB page as well. (Just my 2c). Wish I could go but I have a wedding on the other side of the country to attend

Reactions: brien

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
WooHoo my odds are getting better, now 50/50 work will clear for me to camp in the preserve......

Jim

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I just looked over Corrie's playbook for the event and noticed that check in starts at 1pm instead of 3pm as mentioned on the registration page. Because of this, we may try to roll out of camp even earlier on Friday morning. Maybe before 7pm if we can, anyway, we can discuss at camp what we want to do.

I'm getting excited!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Me too! I would think earlier the better even if just for traffic. If I dont camp, I can be there by 4 or 5 am, whenever we roll from the camp......

Kinda sucks last minute but that is the nature of my company.....But I am excited either way it goes.

Jim

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I just published a new vlog over on YouTube that goes over some of the highlights from our 11-day trip that included the Overland Bound Rally.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Cool Brien, I been watching your vid on getting into your vehicle computer, really interesting.

Jim