bvanaski

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mountain View, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Vanaski
I’m interested in this as well. I ordered an Escapod trailer that will be ready in June 2021. They mentioned contacting your insurance provider for more details. I have not done that yet, but that seems like a good place to start.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I work for a towing company. I've never heard of off road towing coverage however BCAA covers all the "Highway & FSR" portion and when we get to the "OffRoad" portion we charge $110 per hour. There are some places we go often, Idaho Peak Forestry Lookout Tower which is incredibly popular and technically a road sees maybe 50 cars a day in the summer but BCAA does not cover towing there. We get at least a call a week from someone broken down. For actual "off road rescue" it gets incredibly expensive fast. I cannot picture anyone offering an all inclusive insurance service..... or being able to afford the premium if they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost Dutchman

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Over the years guys have opened up "recovery" companies out here. Their liability insurance is outrageous. Most didn't stay open. They have to charge huge amounts of money and tell you to just have your insurance pay for it. (you pay upfront). Most insurance will not. Then there were the others. They bought a winch and think they know recovery. Some of these ended badly. Being involved with 4wd clubs most of my life, you get to hear of them. They try to get the word out and the clubs are a great place to start.

I've gotten to see videos or sometimes come across "recovery efforts" that were stupid and dangerous. Fortunately, most of what we do would just mean a tow strap back to the highway. Now AAA can pick you up. There again I watched something simple become a disaster or an argument when either vehicle was damaged from the effort. Back wheels stuck fast in sticky mud. attach chain to bumper, get running start. Have chain break. Chain snaps forward smashing tailgate, going through rear window and out front. Simple pull out of deep water (this was me). Attached strap and his bumper pulled off. The idiot had it held on with sheet metal screws. He started yelling at me for pulling too hard. Sigh

This is why most wont venture out on dirt and the ones that do normally charge crazy money. Stuck remote, its normally best to try and contact one of the clubs. A couple of the forums i'm on, someone will help you if you post where you are. You just hope they know how to.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You’re an OB member, you have free recovery services... use the SoS features on the map and you will have a recovery plan lined out pretty quickly. Once recovered and back down to hard ball, call your insurance and report it at the new location.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, I’ve talked with my insurance guy extensively about towing insurance and liability/collision, etc. If I am on a legal public roadway I’m covered. I showed my agent some footage of the legal public roadways that we tend to traverse on. He got back to me about a week later after contacting underwriting and his statements were confirmed except for one thing. No insurance coverage while on “unmaintained” public roadways. Part of “being prepared” also includes having access to plenty of cash if something drastically goes wrong.

John Levers

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
You’re an OB member, you have free recovery services... use the SoS features on the map and you will have a recovery plan lined out pretty quickly. Once recovered and back down to hard ball, call your insurance and report it at the new location.
M Rose I saw this thread and I was thinking the same thing we are all here to help fellow overlanders out. It may cost you a beer after you get out. lol

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Most regions in western usa have volunteer recovery groups, they have a website or facebook page. Most ask only for gas money. They have some pretty experienced guys.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nothing in the Midwest. Nope, Nada.

[If I get stuck, I'm torching my truck and camper. Hiking to a bus station, where I'll report it stolen.] If overlanding is a type of hobby or camping that you use to escape being around others...........find a new hobby if you're in the mid west. Because your fellow overlanders are the only ones that will take pity on your situation. And even that's unlikely. [Usually I'll just laugh at you, and hand you my gas can.]