Off-Road Lighting... What do you run? Why?

• HTML tutorial

What LED Lights are you running?

• Baja Designs

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • KC Hilites

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Rigid Industries

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Vision X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hella

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other (Post up)

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

BJ'sFJ

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hey everyone!

What are you running for LED/HID Lights (Auxiliary, Off Road, Light Bars, ETC) ?

Why did you go with the product/company you're running?

For Example)
I've been running Baja Designs for 2.5 years (Almost 3 I think). One of the main deciding factors was their uService technology. This allows you to easily change the pattern or color without voiding the warranty or needing a new light. I have commitment issues on mounting location with my lights and It allows me to easily change locations and patterns per the application. Post up your setup!

LawnDart

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portland, Oregon
Member #

I'm running the Baja Designs lights from the frame up, mainly due to quality of product, color temperature, and features.

I'm running Rigid Industries Ignites under the frame for rock lights, only because of the ease of mounting (uses adhesive GoPro bases) which avoided us drilling for rock light mounts, and keeps them tucked up away from damage. That said to my eyes the BD lights have a far more pleasing color temperate than the Rigids.

Reactions: goleee33

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Whats up Bailey! I have GG-Lighting up front (will eventually change when I get more funds, other vehicle priorities) then I am running the Baja Designs S2 Pro in the rear for a dust light. I like that their Amber is not as dark as most and more of a yellow!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

On my new 4Runner, I replaced the OEM halogen low beams with XenonDepot HID kit with 4300k Philips bulbs. I replaced my OEM fog lights with Baja Design Squadron-R Pro amber wide/cornering lamps. I also have a 32" OPT7 Cree LED combo light bar mounted to the front of my roof basket. I brought the light bar over from my previous Outback, along with the basket and awning.

I have modified my wiring to allow the fogs to run alone, or with low and high beams.

I went with OPT7, as it had the best reviews of the middle tier lamps on Amazon, and at $200 didn't break the bank. I went with the XenonDepot kit because it was a reasonably priced, easy to install plug n play kit. I went with the Baja Design fogs because a kit was offered with 4Runner mounting brackets and pigtails for plug n play. I initially ordered the Sport, but changed the order to the Pro at more than twice the output.

The fogs are too bright for road use, but really light up the ditches and fields along the way. The HID low beams are far superior to the OEM halogen, but have a bit of spill, so I have to aim them fairly low to avoid getting flashed by oncoming traffic.

Photo examples of all of the above, and comparisons to the OEM lighting are in my build thread linked in my sig, on page 13.

BJ'sFJ

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I'm running the Baja Designs lights from the frame up, mainly due to quality of product, color temperature, and features.

I'm running Rigid Industries Ignites under the frame for rock lights, only because of the ease of mounting (uses adhesive GoPro bases) which avoided us drilling for rock light mounts, and keeps them tucked up away from damage. That said to my eyes the BD lights have a far more pleasing color temperate than the Rigids.
Those GoPro mounts are pretty sweet! Definitely a cool feature

Reactions: LawnDart

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Old school 500ff on a lightbar up front..
Christmas Squadron Sports as ditch lights waiting for Jan..
Thanks again Bailey :sunglasses:

BJ'sFJ

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

On my new 4Runner, I replaced the OEM halogen low beams with XenonDepot HID kit with 4300k Philips bulbs. I replaced my OEM fog lights with Baja Design Squadron-R Pro amber wide/cornering lamps. I also have a 32" OPT7 Cree LED combo light bar mounted to the front of my roof basket. I brought the light bar over from my previous Outback, along with the basket and awning.

I have modified my wiring to allow the fogs to run alone, or with low and high beams.

I went with OPT7, as it had the best reviews of the middle tier lamps on Amazon, and at $200 didn't break the bank. I went with the XenonDepot kit because it was a reasonably priced, easy to install plug n play kit. I went with the Baja Design fogs because a kit was offered with 4Runner mounting brackets and pigtails for plug n play. I initially ordered the Sport, but changed the order to the Pro at more than twice the output.

The fogs are too bright for road use, but really light up the ditches and fields along the way. The HID low beams are far superior to the OEM halogen, but have a bit of spill, so I have to aim them fairly low to avoid getting flashed by oncoming traffic.

Photo examples of all of the above, and comparisons to the OEM lighting are in my build thread linked in my sig, on page 13.

Nice 4Runner. That is a really clean setup. Thanks for mentioning the pics in your Build Thread. Really helps you see the difference in the lighting setups!

Reactions: Steve

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I have 2 pencil beams and 2 LED bars up front still not happy with the setup need at least double what I have but that will have to wait till I get a custom front bumper made up...

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I at one time had a Rigid 54" curved light bar that was $1400 new, fortunately I did not buy it new. I bought used from a guy that wrecked his truck for $500. However that was stolen, insurance would not cover it. So I replaced it with a 52" Eyeofyourlife(that is the brand) Amazon Special for $89. I have had it for about 5 months and I honesty have no complaints. It is super bright and seems to be good quality. Besides I figure if it breaks after a year I can buy another for the next 14 years and still spend less than replacing the Rigid.lite bar.jpg

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have two Aurora 2x2 pods in my bumper. They are comparable to Rigid in quality and light output but for less money.

The main reason I'm not running a roof light, ally lights, and reverse flood/dust lights is lack of funding.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I at one time had a Rigid 54" curved light bar that was $1400 new, fortunately I did not buy it new. I bought used from a guy that wrecked his truck for $500. However that was stolen, insurance would not cover it. So I replaced it with a 52" Eyeofyourlife(that is the brand) Amazon Special for $89. I have had it for about 5 months and I honesty have no complaints. It is super bright and seems to be good quality. Besides I figure if it breaks after a year I can buy another for the next 14 years and still spend less than replacing the Rigid.View attachment 11425
I'm using the same brand but in a 40" straight and some cheap amazon lights for backup lights no side or rock lights yet need to upgrade my alternator first.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Luismedina86

Rank 0

Traveler I

His is great picture

Sent from my SM-G900T using OB Talk mobile app

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I'm using the same brand but in a 40" straight and some cheap amazon lights for backup lights no side or rock lights yet need to upgrade my alternator first.
The package I bought actually came with two 2x3 18w lights (that I have not mounted yet) and two wiring harnesses. The switches are cheap but the harness are fine. I actually used the old wiring and the original brackets so I did not use the provided harnesses. The mount required a little fabrication going from a 54" to 52" but it works.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

I have been running the Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights because that was the option that Shrockworks gave me when I bought my bumper.
That said, I have been extremely happy with them. I would buy more of their lights and it appears that they have quite a good reputation for quality. I'm considering adding one of their 10" bars for the front end as well in the future.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

20161008_090954.jpg

Lighting, Jw Speaker head and fog lights, ARB style 9" Intense lights (Amazon), Quadratec 4" round lights on a pillar, and a pair of LED lights from amazon for work lights/rear lights...

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I'm running a 42" bar on custom made brackets above windshield and a 20" in my bumper.
I run 2 flush mount pods in my bumper that I use for backup lights.
I plan to run 2 more pods up on top of my rack for dust lights.
I plan on running lights on both sides of my rack for setting up camp.

OB 1643