Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Is there a thread discussing routes for vehicle platform size pulling trailers? Like Jeep Rubicon/OGT? Galdiator/OGT? Tacoma/OGT? Etc, etc. My tow vehicle is a Ram truck. I have a 2002 OGT Expo. Honestly never pulled a trailer to camp. Always just been in my truck. Prior to my truck was with a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A majority of camping was in the Southwest with limited exposure to Colorado, Idaho, etc. My concern lies in overall length of rig combo, switchbacks, trail width for larger rigs, etc. Wonerding if a list of trans is maintained for owners based on overall size of their rigs. Thanks for any feed back offered.

Enthusiast II

Richmond, TX, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Simpson
Alright OGT pack. I am not mechanically inclined but super proud of how this turned out. Instead of having to shower with the door to the hot water open I made the mods in the picture. Suggestions welcome. Wife’s nail polish is the prefect shade for touch up paint. It is drying now. I did it with a garden hose quick release so there is not all that screwing going on.

Attachments

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Alright OGT pack. I am not mechanically inclined but super proud of how this turned out. Instead of having to shower with the door to the hot water open I made the mods in the picture. Suggestions welcome. Wife’s nail polish is the prefect shade for touch up paint. It is drying now. I did it with a garden hose quick release so there is not all that screwing going on.
I hate to burst your bubble, but the door has to be open when running the hot water heater, it doesn't have enough airflow without it and with the electronic ignition there's been one owner that I know of that nearly blew the door off after it flamed out due to lack of oxygen and then it tried to relight.

If you want to use the shower with the door closed and without turning the water heater on then that's fine, of course.

Reactions: RaptorOVERLANDERS

Enthusiast II

Richmond, TX, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Simpson
I hate to burst your bubble, but the door has to be open when running the hot water heater, it doesn't have enough airflow without it and with the electronic ignition there's been one owner that I know of that nearly blew the door off after it flamed out due to lack of oxygen and then it tried to relight.

If you want to use the shower with the door closed and without turning the water heater on then that's fine, of course.
Thank you for telling me. I saw that in the instructions but was baffled why. Did not even think of it. Most of the time it is cold water anyways. LoL because I forget to turn the switch to on. But thanks for saving me a door.

Reactions: EStokes and DRAX

Enthusiast II

Richmond, TX, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Simpson
Any OGT owners figured out something to stop the doors from flapping the the breeze? Obliviously not the cabin doors but all of the others? Since Drax just bursted my bubble. Lol

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

Angel Fire, Colfax County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

I agree that the door needs to be opened to vent the hot water heater, but was wondering if anyone has considered putting additional venting in the door beyond what comes stock to resolve the venting limitations?

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Cross posted from my Facebook post for the nonFB members

I’m going to ask anyway…

Instead of putting Lithium (LiFEPO4) batteries in the same place OGT put the stock ones has anyone ever considered putting them underneath the trailer in between the frame braces?

From my calculations you could easily fit 600-800Ah worth in that space without any ground clearance loss. This should fit on either the Pando or the Expedition (I’ve never looked under a Switchback).

It could also be protected with skid plates attached flat to the frame (again no clearance loss, maybe 1/4”).

Ok, before the question is asked, why?
1) lower center of gravity
2) more storage space freed up for other stuff
3) more weight closer to the axle
4) more total Amp hour capacity possible (more days off grid with a real A/C unit).

Here was the batteries I was looking at:

Here was what I was looking at when I mentioned a real A/C unit:

Sadly I’ve already purchased (2) battleborn batteries I’m happy with, but hind sight…

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
That's an interesting idea, @EStokes. My main concern would be moisture ingress into the battery area. Skid plate enclosure would be a must no matter what, but the compartment would need to be 100% sealed which would then make access/service/replacement a bit of a pain. If water/moisture gets in there then that would lead to some pretty nasty corrosion and other nasty things.

That just made me think of another interesting idea, an external battery pack that you can connect to the batteries in the front box via an Anderson connector and then load into/onto a vehicle for transport. Problem with that is charge/discharge/SoC imbalance and such when connected.

Having one of those A/C units would sure be nice, too!

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Thank you for telling me. I saw that in the instructions but was baffled why. Did not even think of it. Most of the time it is cold water anyways. LoL because I forget to turn the switch to on. But thanks for saving me a door.
Also on our Pando with the CO2 detector the alarm will go off if we forget to leave the door open.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Also on our Pando with the CO2 detector the alarm will go off if we forget to leave the door open.
Hmmm...that's a CO not CO2 detector, CO2 won't trigger it because CO2 isn't a health hazard and CO detectors can't detect it. I've found the CO/smoke detector that came with our Pando eats batteries quickly, not sure why but maybe it's because I started using rechargeables and they don't last as long.

Single beep/chirp = batteries dying
3-4 beeps = CO or smoke detected

Reactions: EStokes

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Not sure where to post this question for folks owning an OGT trailer, but is there a spot or forum where we could share and post routes that fellow OGT owners have done and state what type of tow vehicle used? I personally drive a large truck and being a larger platform may/could have issues with some trails despite doing research. My other question is aimed at Canadian owners with an OGT. As an owner from the lower 48 is there a forum to discuss doable tracks pulling a trailer noting disbursed camping areas like I would encounter in national forests and BLM lands? I understand there is many under the jurisdiction of tribal lands, and curious as to how camping in tryout provincial parks is handled regarding reservations versus disbursed camping. Thanks in advance. I want to head your way at some point

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Not sure where to post this question for folks owning an OGT trailer, but is there a spot or forum where we could share and post routes that fellow OGT owners have done and state what type of tow vehicle used? I personally drive a large truck and being a larger platform may/could have issues with some trails despite doing research. My other question is aimed at Canadian owners with an OGT. As an owner from the lower 48 is there a forum to discuss doable tracks pulling a trailer noting disbursed camping areas like I would encounter in national forests and BLM lands? I understand there is many under the jurisdiction of tribal lands, and curious as to how camping in tryout provincial parks is handled regarding reservations versus disbursed camping. Thanks in advance. I want to head your way at some point
An app like Gaia GPS with the Roads and Trails layer would help. Local forest road maps as well. Once you get off of anything that says Passenger Car Friendly it will vary a great deal. It will vary by the weather conditions. Sometimes if solo you just have to get out and walk to see if something is possible. Along with constantly looking for places where you could turn around. While I have never gotten stuck and needed a rescue I have pinstriped the hell out of my vehicles and trailers on various trails through the years. There is still plenty to explore and enjoy on the wider dirt roads and forest roads.

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Just curious. Any OGT owners use mud flaps or curtains on their tow vehicles to protect trailer from road debris? Or what experience or advice regarding a wrap on leading edge of the trailer to minimize possible chipping. Love the pics of mud covered trailers and wondering of ways to minimize that kind of buildup around doors and kitchen area.

And in response to an other post I submitted about trails and pulling trailer's. I do research. I speak to folks (like rangers if in unfamiliar territory). I do have GAIA. I was hoping to glean from other's experience of 'oops, damn there's a tree across the trail with no place to turn round ' kind of thing. It reminds me of my fishing club when someone would ask 'where'd you catch them'? and the response would be 'in the mouth.'

Jseda4g63

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brewster, New York, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Seda
Member #

Seems this is an old thread but I’ve got an Expedition 3.0 due for May delivery. Any suggestions for electrical upgrades? I upgraded to the single lithium 100ah battery