Odd Ball rigs. Who else has an outside of the norm rig?

• HTML tutorial

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
I'll get some pics up soon. So, my daily is an 04 Chevy Trailblazer on 255/70/16 Falken Wild Peaks, front bull bar, full size roof rack, & taillight guards. Nothing over the top being it's a daily. At the same time I'm FAR from afraid to give most things a try. So long as there's truly a chance that is. If I'm feeling a bit crazy I just grab the Daihatsu Rocky & run care free.
Anyone else running a Trailblazer or Rocky?

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

I don't have either of those, but I've always loved those little Rockies. Cool rigs. Trailblazers look extremely capable, too. Clearly, you're using yours properly. Got pics?

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
I don't have either of those, but I've always loved those little Rockies. Cool rigs. Trailblazers look extremely capable, too. Clearly, you're using yours properly. Got pics?
Most run away from the trailblazer because of the weak front drive line. But I've had a couple of them now & as long as you don't force it in a bind it's just fine. For that matter it's FAR more capable than most think. Yah, I LOVE my Rocky! I call it my little mountain goat. I'll post pics of her once it's home. She at the Dr trying to figure out some vacuum issues.
IMG_20190925_175935.jpg

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
Odd ball rigs eh?

I softroad/overland my 2004 honda pilot. There’s a handful of us who do this but few and far between. I’m running 245/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks and aside for that and my roof basket, i’ve got next to no overland mods on my suv. There’s only two lift kits for the pilot really and not much else for overland accessories. It’s been a fun experiment making equipment and looking at the few others who overland their pilots too.

My pilot is just about to hit 300,000km and i plan on driving it till it dies. Maybe then i’ll get something more conventional for overlanding.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

That Chief is way too cool! I don't know if I count as odd-ball with a WJ.

Hell yes to that Chief! And WJs are the best Grand Cherokee of all. And highly underrated trail rigs... Every bit as good, if not better, than any Jeep of the last 15 years. But let's keep that between us so they don't get into XJ levels of used pricing. :D

Reactions: renodemona

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I would say anything classic is odd-ball these days. I would love to Overland in a classic Land Rover, or Land Cruiser, an old FC Jeep, Jeep Wagoneer, Cherokee, Jeepster, Scout. How about an old IH Travelall?
I have an old Square body Suburban, but too may were made to call it unique.
What is odd-ball? Not a Toyota, Jeep, or Land Rover?

Reactions: bawesomfels

z06jeff

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I read a lot of build threads, and never see anyone else doing one of these, so I guess that makes it odd.
2003 Chevy Tracker. 2" lift, 15x8 wheels, 30x9.50 M/T tires, 5.13 gears, & airlift airbags. Works for me.
I had a Trailblazer SS several years ago, and I do miss it. I always liked the non-SS ones too. That 4.2 inline engine is a fantastic design.

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I read a lot of build threads, and never see anyone else doing one of these, so I guess that makes it odd.
2003 Chevy Tracker. 2" lift, 15x8 wheels, 30x9.50 M/T tires, 5.13 gears, & airlift airbags. Works for me.
I had a Trailblazer SS several years ago, and I do miss it. I always liked the non-SS ones too. That 4.2 inline engine is a fantastic design.
I like it, nice looking little rig. That should take you anywhere you want to go and not get too bad of mileage along the way. Nice.

Ta2Doc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, KY, USA
First Name
Brady
Last Name
Robinette
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RRX
Unusual? Yeah, probably. Sort of an unholy mix resulting of menage a quatre between an 02 TJ, late 80s CUCV, a Fritos truck, and a one ton Dodge. Still in the final assembly stage, after being built, then torn back down to the frame for painting, plumbing and electricals. We call it FrankenJeep. Better be the last truck I ever have. POR-FrankenJeep.png

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

I'm not sure what classifies as odd ball but I'm assuming not the typical jeep, yota, or land rover. If that's the case here's my 2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

Attachments

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Sold it awhile back, but my 1979 AM General DJ5-G. Only offroaded a few times before I sold it to make space in my garage- wish I had kept the top on it and turned it into some sort of army looking medical vehicle! Was super fun, rode like a go kart haha.

48819133546_9b45517dba_o.jpg

Reactions: renodemona

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I have a 64 Willys Traveler I use to spend time off road, I've been working on and improving it for 25 years now.

Willys didn't make very many of them so I guess it's an odd ball vehicle.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I get a lot of odd looks for sure. No one expects a cop car in the woods.

BB46997C-89E6-4A8F-B428-62FD7330CD12.jpeg2FB6EB55-DB94-4629-B8FF-00CFF30FEB5D.jpeg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Unusual? Yeah, probably. Sort of an unholy mix resulting of menage a quatre between an 02 TJ, late 80s CUCV, a Fritos truck, and a one ton Dodge. Still in the final assembly stage, after being built, then torn back down to the frame for painting, plumbing and electricals. We call it FrankenJeep. Better be the last truck I ever have. View attachment 119381
Do you have a build thread? Looks like an awesome project that should be extremely capable.

-TJ