Ione, CA, USA
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Kirkes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So I have a question, looking for some education. Can I use the overland bound one map with the garmin Mini? Is I am currently using the Gaya app for my mapping and it works well but there is so much more information on the OB1 Map. Thank you for your time and your feedback

Reactions: Excaleburr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Unless your device doesn’t have a GPS chip embedded, there is no need for an external GPS unit to run OB1 Maps in offline mode.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
So I have a question, looking for some education. Can I use the overland bound one map with the garmin Mini? Is I am currently using the Gaya app for my mapping and it works well but there is so much more information on the OB1 Map. Thank you for your time and your feedback
Hi @Buddy kirkes As @M Rose mentioned - if your phone has built in GPS (most modern phones do), than you do not need a Garmin to navigate with OB1. It works. Now, here is more information than you wanted to know :)

The OB1 app aggressively caches the map around your current location. This provides detail needed to navigate. If you are disconnected from cell service - it can no longer cache - so you could end up with a blank map. We have a few features coming up which will allow you to navigate extensively offline.

1. Offline Map Downloads - so you can download the map detail in advance for offline use
2. Offline Mode - allows the app to operate the map without a cell connection
3. GPX track recording - so you can record your tracks right in OB1 without the need to use other Track Recording Apps.

Also, you can go into bearing follow mode by tapping the "center on me" icon on the map.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Glad to help.

M

Reactions: M Rose

Buddy kirkes

Rank V

Traveler III

Ione, CA, USA
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Kirkes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thank you. I'm heading out for a short trip tomorrow, my tablet doesn't have a GPS chip. I'm paring it with the inreach mini. I will let you know how it worked.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you. I'm heading out for a short trip tomorrow, my tablet doesn't have a GPS chip. I'm paring it with the inreach mini. I will let you know how it worked.
Awesome - I also added the Expedition Tier to your account. This is not live to the general public yet, and I'll need to turn it off in a few days, but you will see a download button on your main map. It downloads a 50 mile radius around the center of the map - I'm curious how this works and any feedback is appriciated!