First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

If you have an idea or nit or something about the app to talk about - this is the place. Please keep in mind, the BEST way to actually get a feature upvoted and developed is to use our upvote feature.

however - if you would like to discuss a potential feature, get some feedback, or just let me know how to make the app better for your use - post away.

-Michael

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@jcgraves3 bugs should be posted in the thread “OB1 Bug Reports Only

This forum is to kind of rate the app so app users can help influence people of the benefits of using the app along with choosing which tier works best for them.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I really like the direction OB1 is going. I have been part of the alpha test groups of the app since the app was in its infancy.

Things I really like about the app:
  • The ability to switch from viewing forums to messages to maps without having to go searching for the correct link.

• The Map filters are very easy to use compared to other apps
  • Automatic offline mode
  • Simplicity of the Download offline maps
  • Ease of adding GPX files and POIs

Things I don’t like about the app:
  • Can’t format text
  • Sometimes copy and paste is difficult
  • Push notifications don’t take you to the correct spot in a thread or message

I have been using the Expedition Tier since April of 2021. I used it as a navigation tool to get me to a meetup in Brothers, Oregon, to doctors appointments in Boise, Idaho, and just for fun a back roads way to work. The navigation is spot on and adding waypoints on the move is as easy as touching the screen.

Reactions: GSMcKee

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Feedback: Profile displays both ‘Member’ and ‘Guest’. Not sure if this is intended. This example person is also not searchable in the message section.
I think the member you selected doesn’t allow messages hence you can’t seat for him… can you send him a message from the website?

Reactions: jcgraves3

jcgraves3

NorthWest Region Member Rep's Portland OR
Investor

Influencer I

Crescent City, Putnam County, Florida, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Feedback: Profile displays both ‘Member’ and ‘Guest’. Not sure if this is intended. This example person is also not searchable in the message section.
I think the member you selected doesn’t allow messages hence you can’t seat for him… can you send him a message from the website?
Thanks Mike. In that case, it would be nice if the OB1 app indicated the member you are trying to contact does not allow messages.

Reactions: Michael and M Rose

jcgraves3

Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Hello Team,

Is the OB1 SOS feature in the works? I have met so many new overland folks on the trail that say their biggest fear is having to leave their rig up on the mountain due to some unforeseen issue. I find they typically run to Facebook to find help, which works, but I’d rather direct them to the OB1 map where they can see if there are other members around and send them coordinates with a request for help.
I don’t think there’s any other overland app out there that has an SOS feature. With that said I think it would attract more folks to use the OB1 app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello Team,

Is the OB1 SOS feature in the works? I have met so many new overland folks on the trail that say their biggest fear is having to leave their rig up on the mountain due to some unforeseen issue. I find they typically run to Facebook to find help, which works, but I’d rather direct them to the OB1 map where they can see if there are other members around and send them coordinates with a request for help.
I don’t think there’s any other overland app out there that has an SOS feature. With that said I think it would attract more folks to use the OB1 app.
There is an SOS feature built into the RP, but unfortunately web interface only…

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hello Team,

I think this is spot on, and this has been "in the works" too long. I'm going to bump the priority of this - thanks.

jcgraves3

Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Yes, when I click that button, a few outside apps appear, but no option to just DM a member within OB1. I just prefer to stay in the OB1 app. and not send folks to an outside app with the same DM / text feature as OB1 has. Hope this helps?

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes, when I click that button, a few outside apps appear, but no option to just DM a member within OB1. I just prefer to stay in the OB1 app. and not send folks to an outside app with the same DM / text feature as OB1 has. Hope this helps?
Hi John,

If you click on the share button in the RP, then the window opens with the apps for sharing. And additionally in the upper left corner (at least that's how it is on my Android) there is a button "copy". This copies the link to the RP to the clipboard. I then open a new message in OB 1 and paste the link. Yes, that takes a fews steps but it works.

Screenshot_20220126-225636_Android System.jpg

Bjoern

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I get what you are saying. The first solution is to solve for every case (invite anybody OLB member or not, app or not), and I think you want a quick way to DM an Overland Bound Member. Perhaps a button that then asks you to enter a name - it would then open a "create conversation" window with a link to the RP and the name already populated. Or something - let me know if you have a specific idea for implementation.

jcgraves3

Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Hi John,

If you click on the share button in the RP, then the window opens with the apps for sharing. And additionally in the upper left corner (at least that's how it is on my Android) there is a button "copy". This copies the link to the RP to the clipboard. I then open a new message in OB 1 and paste the link. Yes, that takes a fews steps but it works.

Bjoern
Exactly Bjorne. The last point you noted ‘it takes a few steps’. It would be nice to click a ‘share with member’ button that opens the OB1 ‘Message’ box with the link already pasted in the body. One click. Then select the member and send.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Exactly Bjorne. The last point you noted ‘it takes a few steps’. It would be nice to click a ‘share with member’ button that opens the OB1 ‘Message’ box with the link already pasted in the body. One click. Then select the member and send.
Great - I like this - I can write this up. Now in the grand scheme - this will be quite a ways down the backlog due to other priorities - but it is understood.

Thank you!

M

Last edited:

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I was looking last night (very quickly) on the app for a referral link.... didn't see one.... maybe it's there and I didn't look deep enough.....
Thanks Michael!

jcgraves3

Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
In coordination with the forest rangers (of course) we could start an adopt a trail program (if allowed) where we can post a small sign at the trail head stating something like: ‘This trail is maintained by the Portland Overland Bound team. Please report any issues using the OB1 app (insert QR code).’ This could attract new folks to the OB1 app where they will find the trail they are about to take and It would give members regular opportunities to (RP) meet and maintain trails.

Reactions: M Rose
D

danbrown

I submitted a suggestion under mapping and navigation to see if we can get date range added to the map filter. Something that would allow you to filter, for example, show new additions in the last 30 days. There is so much info from the community in the map it would be nice to see what was recently added without having to parse through everything.