Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I run the Garmin Fenix 5x plus. Absolutely killer watch (painful price tag aside) my only complaint is the OE band it comes with, 10$ on amazon for a nylon band and problem solved.

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I run the Garmin Fenix 5x plus. Absolutely killer watch (painful price tag aside) my only complaint is the OE band it comes with, 10$ on amazon for a nylon band and problem solved.
I have the same watch and love it. I don't have any issues w/ the OE band though. I actually like it. What didn't you like about it?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Thought I'd try reviving this thread, though I'm mainly curious to know how folks have their Garmin watches set up for adventure activities and what watch faces people have found to be useful. I've been using smart watches for years (Apple Watch, Samsung Galaxy Watch3, and now a Garmin Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar) and I've felt like I had to decide what features/functions I was willing to compromise on. When I was using an iPhone the Samsung and other Tizen/GearOS watches were really cut down on what was supported and the Garmin offerings were pretty new. When I switched to an Android phone (Galaxy S20+) I couldn't use the Apple Watch anymore so I went watch shopping, again I had to choose the compromises. I think the Garmin Fenix 5 was out and the 6 was on the way, so to have the most cohesive experience between the watch and phone I went with a Galaxy Watch3. I liked it more than the Apple Watch, both in terms of style and functionality, but battery life was always a concern. For day to day stuff it was fine, just charge it at night and be good to go in the morning, but I would end up missing out on sleep tracking. Sometimes I'd put it on the charger and maybe it wasn't centered so it wouldn't charge and then I'd notice around the middle of the next day that my battery was down to 50%. So, it wasn't something that if I forgot or couldn't charge it during the night it would die the next day but I couldn't go more than about 2.5-3 days on a charge and that was after turning the always-on display off in order to preserve battery life. Now, with us trying to be more active and planning on ramping up our overland travels I started watch shopping again (Had my Galaxy Watch3 for almost 2 years now). The choices came down to a Garmin Fenix 7 or the Epix gen 2. While the display on the Epix gen 2 is amazing and battery life was still decent, I don't look at my watch often enough to need or want that eye candy display when the Fenix 7 is more than adequate. Plus, there's no solar with the Epix gen 2. May be more of a gimmick, but it could come in very handy in certain situations. I also really liked the way the Fenix 7 looked with the Mineral Blue case. The Fenix 7 and Epix having touchscreens now is great, especially for swiping around maps or bringing up screens tied to spots on a given watch face, but I do have it give it to Garmin for making general use using buttons a breeze. It also helps that the Up/Down buttons work similarly to the rotating bezel on the Galaxy Watch3 and I actually find myself using the buttons more than I thought.

So, I settled on the watch I wanted but looking at the price was killing me. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet, so I sat on it for a few days, poked around for any sales or deals, and as luck would have it I found an open-box of the exact watch I wanted on Amazon for $230 less than the price of a new one ($670 vs $899) and jumped on it.

I've been wearing and using it for not quite 24 hours so far and I have to say that, for me, it's pretty much the perfect watch for what I want. It integrates very well with my Galaxy phone, using it for HR with Zwift was super easy (I had been using a chest strap previously because I couldn't use my Galaxy Watch3 for HR with Zwift), it's much more self-contained meaning if something happens to my phone I can still use maps, etc. since they're stored on the watch.

For reference, this is the watch face I'm using. It has an unlimited trial (just have to go through a couple of steps) so you don't have to pay for it and I find it has basically all the data I was looking for. GearMin V3

What about fellow Garmin watch users here, how do you have your watch set up for adventuring?

Last edited:

HoboNomad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sanford, North Carolina, United States
First Name
adam
Last Name
escobar
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I rotate three watches. A regular Bertucci watch, Sangin Merlin and a Garmin Instinct tactical solar. I recommend all three highly. The garmin tactical i get over a week worth of using it. Of course depends in how much you are using and how much sun it gets.

Reactions: Mekcanix and DRAX

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I have a iphone so during the work week I normally wear my iWatch. Camping I wear my Garmin Instinct which I love for readability and battery,
I will say that the iwatch gives me more info but I just like the garmin more when I look at it to tell the time

Reactions: HoboNomad

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Timex Expedition with a Velcro wrap band, about $40 at Walmart. Time, day, date, two time zones, alarm, timer (mostly for cooking) and lights up at night with the push of a button. Simple, durable and never comes off my wrist unless it needs a good scrubbing. I’m a one watch, one purse, one truck kinda chick.

Reactions: NHMachinist

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I've been wearing( when I had/have too) A Casio Telememo 30. Mostly needed for work and daily for 25 years. With dual digital and analog face it is quick at being readable. A pig to reset when the time changes though so I eventually bought another and kept 1 on Standard time and the other on Daylight Savings. Charging? Battery lasts 10 years! I've only changed 1 battery in my original watch so far.
For back up camping I have the sunwatch, Just have to know the latitude, set the pinhole on the date, hold it up to the sun.....folds flat. Should be good for the next 10 billion years. ;^)
I've had a g-shock, very cumbersome and the buttons kept catching on stuff, it didn't hold up at work in a cement plant, the Telememo did.

DSCF9515.JPGDSCF9516.JPG

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I have the same watch and love it. I don't have any issues w/ the OE band though. I actually like it. What didn't you like about it?
I have the same watch as well and didn't like the rubber band (too tight) and replaced it with a fabric band first (that started to smell and then broke), and have a metal band now. I like that it has some weight to it and also has a bit of slack, so that the watch moves a bit.

All the sensors still work as expected.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

So, I settled on the watch I wanted but looking at the price was killing me. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet, so I sat on it for a few days, poked around for any sales or deals, and as luck would have it I found an open-box of the exact watch I wanted on Amazon for $230 less than the price of a new one ($670 vs $899) and jumped on it.

I've been wearing and using it for not quite 24 hours so far and I have to say that, for me, it's pretty much the perfect watch for what I want. It integrates very well with my Galaxy phone, using it for HR with Zwift was super easy (I had been using a chest strap previously because I couldn't use my Galaxy Watch3 for HR with Zwift), it's much more self-contained meaning if something happens to my phone I can still use maps, etc. since they're stored on the watch.

What about fellow Garmin watch users here, how do you have your watch set up for adventuring?
How do you like your Fenix so far, now that you've had it a few months? I'm considering getting a Garmin but on the fence on which model. Looking at everything from the 955 to the Fenix 7 to the Epix.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
How do you like your Fenix so far, now that you've had it a few months? I'm considering getting a Garmin but on the fence on which model. Looking at everything from the 955 to the Fenix 7 to the Epix.
I still love it and have never found myself wishing I still had an Apple Watch or Galaxy Watch. Excellent battery life, great functionality, etc. The one thing I might change, and it's a simple setting change, is when the backlight is triggered. Right now I have it so the backlight is only triggered after sunset/before sunrise rather than always and sometimes if I'm in an area that's not lit well I can't see the display well enough and have to manually turn on the backlight. I originally did this to help battery life as I do computer work and the position and movement of my hands/wrist would trigger the backlight often.

Having only used the fenix 7 I can't really comment on the other models but as a smartwatch with a lot of activity/outdoors functionality it does great. My wife has been happy with her fenix 6S as well. Just being able to use our watches and not have to worry about battery life or needing to charge nightly is really, really nice. You don't realize how nice until you've made the switch. :)

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Thanks. I've never had a smart watch and am really only interested in the health/exercise/mapping features. I don't really want an extension of my phone (I have enough with it, ha!). Also want something I can wear 24/7 without having to worry about charging, etc. Hopefully I can make a decision soon on this....

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Fenix 5x and it is by far the best watch I have ever owned. It spent 3 straight years in Afghanistan with me on deployment and got banged up, beat up and the glass still looks new. I went with the titanium band after year two cause the other kept breaking and this band is going 3 1/2 years with no problems. I use it for hunting, hiking, traking the other smart watch stuff. If you are looking at a watch that contains maps or you will use off the beaten path the fenix series is the best youll get.
Was also surprised thag i had non-topo maps of the middle east while I was there. thought it only had non-topo of europe. All of North America has the topo maps which is very nice. Shows NF roads as well.

Reactions: cgranier and DRAX

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

If you are looking at a watch that contains maps or you will use off the beaten path the fenix series is the best youll get.
Thanks for your message! This is all very useful info for me. I'm torn between the Fenix 7 and the Epix at the moment. Main difference is screen quality and battery life. I mostly overland, so have access to a power source even if I go off for several days. And my hikes are never longer than overnight. So in that sense the Epix's shorter battery life wouldn't really be an issue. I might have to go to a store and check out the screens' readability, etc. Then again, with all this sun in Florida the Fenix solar models seem like a fun thing to have. I'd probably never have to charge it, ha ha.

I think nowadays you only get topo maps for the region you buy your watch in, except for the Enduro 2 which I think has worldwide topo. Maybe they have non topo for everything else?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
If you are looking at a watch that contains maps or you will use off the beaten path the fenix series is the best youll get.
Thanks for your message! This is all very useful info for me. I'm torn between the Fenix 7 and the Epix at the moment. Main difference is screen quality and battery life. I mostly overland, so have access to a power source even if I go off for several days. And my hikes are never longer than overnight. So in that sense the Epix's shorter battery life wouldn't really be an issue. I might have to go to a store and check out the screens' readability, etc. Then again, with all this sun in Florida the Fenix solar models seem like a fun thing to have. I'd probably never have to charge it, ha ha.

I think nowadays you only get topo maps for the region you buy your watch in, except for the Enduro 2 which I think has worldwide topo. Maybe they have non topo for everything else?
I believe that is correct for maps. I think its possible to get other regions but would likely be paying a premium for it. My fater has the new fenix and it looks really good, slightly larger than the fenix 5x that I have and the readability is better. I can go almost a week on a single charge using it as a normal watch. when I start accessing GPS consistantly and using the apps that track everything the battery life goes down drastically. after 8 hours of using the hiking app to track my movement last week while hunting I went from 100% to 35%.

Reactions: cgranier