First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hello my fellow Kansans and Rocky Mtn members,

I created this thread for you to introduce yourself. Tell us all about you, your family, and your rig. Share some pictures and get to know others in our state, as well as region. I will start us off.

I learned about overlanding back in probably 2016 after wanting to run trails without being a rock crawler and have since outfitted my 2004 Jeep WJ to go where I want and do what I want. I love taking the road less traveled and unlearning pavement. I love being able to load up and go. My Jeep has slowly become the adventure rig I have hoped for since I started my outdoor lifestyle as a young boy.

My Jeep was stock until I planned a much needed vacation to the Roosevelt National Forest outside of Ft. Collins, CO. It was teetering on winter weather, so I opted to outfit my rig to allow my dog and I to sleep in the back. I learned a lot from that trip, but I also learned a lot while running the rugged back roads around here. Some of the worst, yet best roads for off-road travel reside here in the Flint Hills of Kansas.

My goal is to be able to camp off-grid with my lady and the kiddos for days at a time since they prefer to glamp a little more than I like. This is getting easier the more I take them out and simplify our kit.
IMG_5471.jpgGC_OXW.jpg

Last edited:

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Hello my fellow Kansans,

I created this thread for you to introduce yourself. Tell us all about you, your family, and your rig. Share some pictures pictures and get to know others in our state. I will start us off.

I learned about overlanding back in probably 2016 after wanting to run trails without being a rock crawler and have since outfitted my 2004 Jeep WJ to go where I want and do what I want. I love taking the road less traveled and unlearning pavement. I love being able to load up and go. My Jeep has slowly become the adventure rig I have hoped for since I started my outdoor lifestyle as a young boy.

My Jeep was stock until I planned a much needed vacation to the Roosevelt National Forest outside of Ft. Collins, CO. It was teetering on winter weather, so I opted to outfit my rig to allow my dog and I to sleep in the back. I learned a lot from that trip, but I also learned a lot while running the rugged back roads around here. Some of the worst, yet best roads for off-road travel reside here in the Flint Hills of Kansas.

My goal is to be able to camp off-grid with my lady and the kiddos for days at a time since they prefer to glamp a little more than I like. This is getting easier the more I take them out and simplify our kit.
View attachment 104430View attachment 104431
I love this. Thank you for taking the initiative to set this up.

I have been active in the off road community for several years. Last year I discovered overlanding and fell in love. Since then I have become your Regional Director for the Rocky Mountains and am excited to help you guys get out an explore your own area and possibly some of mine or your neighbors. We have 8 great states in our region and all have some amazing places to visit.

Please let me know what I can do to help you get your community active and having some fun.

Attachments

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I love this. Thank you for taking the initiative to set this up.

I have been active in the off road community for several years. Last year I discovered overlanding and fell in love. Since then I have become your Regional Director for the Rocky Mountains and am excited to help you guys get out an explore your own area and possibly some of mine or your neighbors. We have 8 great states in our region and all have some amazing places to visit.

Please let me know what I can do to help you get your community active and having some fun.
Thank you Cendee! Kansas is not ideal due to a lack of public land, however, we have plenty of amazing scenery and some gnarly roads to travel. Between my local overlanding group and all of the state parks, we have plenty of places we can set up camp at after a day of wheeling the backroads. Hope to get some of our region members out here to experience it and get my Kansans out in the mountains before too long.

Reactions: Cendee

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Hey Guys,

@igtyr6 is the member rep in your area. He has created a rally point. Check it out.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
View attachment 125420
Howdy, Im Matt and Im living in Ogden Kansas at the moment. Just getting into Overlanding and would like to join in on anything im able.
Awesome WK! If you're looking for local overlanding, check out our Facebook group called Konza Overland.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@adventure_is_necessary - How did I miss this post!?

I am Brett. My outdoor journey started when I was a young kid romping through the woods and creek just down the road from where I grew up. The desire to get deeper into the woods and away from the computer games my friends had was accelerated when I got an ATV and then a Jeep years later.

In 1999 I was invited to an ATV trip in Colorado, Taylor Park to be exact. The thrill of following a rough map, taking wrong turns, getting lost and finding the most spectacular sights had me hooked. A few years later I exchanged the ATV for a Jeep and enjoyed the freedom to go wherever even more. I have continued to explore Colorado every year since 1999 and have no intention of stopping. To this day I have never joined a Jeep club or other dues paying club and in 2015 I hooked up with a ragtag group called Konza Overland. As a Kansas based exploration group we are able to swap stories, exchange ideas and get together for comradery.

While I still have the old ATV and Jeep that got me exploring, I bought a Land Cruiser several years ago that has proven to be my preferred exploration rig. It is a modest rig with a small lift, tall narrow tires, some electric whiz-bangs and a place to mount a winch. It also has more than 300k miles and some rust on it, so I am not very concerned with pinstripes.

1572968306559.png
1572969512943.png

b1bjetmech

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maize, KS, USA
First Name
Collin
Last Name
McGinnis
Member #

Greetings fellow Kansans!

I recently joined OB, but have been a member of the Flint Hills Jeep Club for the past six years. I also joined the Konza Overland FB group, as well. We (the wife and I) started out with a 2000 TJ, but after five years of wheeling and "evolving", we decided that overlanding was more appealing then just going out and wheeling, so we sold the TJ, and bought a 2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon as our starting platform. I've learned plenty during my many wheeling sessions, and I am grateful to have that experience to apply towards our overlanding endeavors. We are fairly new to overlanding, but not to off-roading and camping and being outdoors. I am building and acquiring the necessary equipment to do so, and we are looking at doing some local overlanding to get a feel for it, and to help determine what equipment and supplies we really need to be successful. Our end goal is to overland travel to the Grand Tetons/Moab/Colorado next summer for our 30th anniversary. We live in Maize (near Wichita), and we are looking at going to some local areas - like the Chase County State Lake, and maybe Kanopolis or El Dorado Lake for some trial runs. Places that are far enough away to need to be self sufficient, but not too far away in the event the weather turns nasty or we forget something critical. I have been perusing the many forums looking for ideas, and am looking forward to maybe meeting up with some of you in the future for some weekend trips.

Attachments

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

I recently joined OB, but have been a member of the Flint Hills Jeep Club for the past six years. I also joined the Konza Overland FB group, as well. We (the wife and I) started out with a 2000 TJ, but after five years of wheeling and "evolving", we decided that overlanding was more appealing then just going out and wheeling, so we sold the TJ, and bought a 2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon as our starting platform. I've learned plenty during my many wheeling sessions, and I am grateful to have that experience to apply towards our overlanding endeavors. We are fairly new to overlanding, but not to off-roading and camping and being outdoors. I am building and acquiring the necessary equipment to do so, and we are looking at doing some local overlanding to get a feel for it, and to help determine what equipment and supplies we really need to be successful. Our end goal is to overland travel to the Grand Tetons/Moab/Colorado next summer for our 30th anniversary. We live in Maize (near Wichita), and we are looking at going to some local areas - like the Chase County State Lake, and maybe Kanopolis or El Dorado Lake for some trial runs. Places that are far enough away to need to be self sufficient, but not too far away in the event the weather turns nasty or we forget something critical. I have been perusing the many forums looking for ideas, and am looking forward to maybe meeting up with some of you in the future for some weekend trips.
Welcome! We do a bit more discussion on the Konza Overland page. Feel free to post about upcoming trips.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hello Kansans,

I joined OB recently, Have a mostly stock Tacoma 2015 TRD Sport. Simple trail trips so far. Live in the South Central Plains of Pratt, KS.
Welcome! If you're on Facebook, we have a group called Konza Overland that I tend to use more for the local stuff.

drburn1718

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kansas, USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Redburn

Hey Neighbor! Kinda at least. Glad I found this thread, I live in Goddard and am looking to connect with some local or regionalpeople to share trails and trips with. My family and I are wanting to get back into some adventuring and off-roading as we have stepped away for a number of years. I currently have a f150 we’ll be tweaking to fit our needs.

I look forward to meeting y’all and hope to see you out sometime!

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey Neighbor! Kinda at least. Glad I found this thread, I live in Goddard and am looking to connect with some local or regionalpeople to share trails and trips with. My family and I are wanting to get back into some adventuring and off-roading as we have stepped away for a number of years. I currently have a f150 we’ll be tweaking to fit our needs.

I look forward to meeting y’all and hope to see you out sometime!
Welcome!

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hi Kansas people, I have been on here for a while and just stumbled across this thread. My name is Tim Stanley, I live in the rural farm community of Clay Center. I’m mostly retired, but still answer the call of harvest. My rig is a 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 TRD offroad which I am currently building out. I have most all my gear to complete my build i’m just waiting on that one main component, a CBI Offroad Fab overlanding bed rack. Delivery is scheduled for the last week of January 2021. I look forward to meeting some of you folks soon.

Reactions: GreenRemy

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

hey konzalander, do you do much offroading? If so where do you go? I have lived here almost 20 years and don’t know of any offfroad trails etc anywhere around us. As far as I know you have to go to Arkansas to the mountains or to Colorado to get any trails worth anything. I see you are in JC, I lived there 50 some odd years ago when daddy was stationed at ft Riley

jeeper_4_life

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kansas
First Name
Rob
Last Name
E
Member #

hey konzalander, do you do much offroading? If so where do you go? I have lived here almost 20 years and don’t know of any offfroad trails etc anywhere around us. As far as I know you have to go to Arkansas to the mountains or to Colorado to get any trails worth anything. I see you are in JC, I lived there 50 some odd years ago when daddy was stationed at ft Riley
Besides backroads or private property these are rock crawling centric locations:
Tuttle Creek ORV Randolph, KS - No Fee's, tight trees and brush possible scratches, mud, rocks. Easy to really hard, not a real big place but kind of neat.
Kansas Rocks Park, Mapleton, KS near Fort Scott, KS - Fee to wheel per day. Nice place, easy to hard, tight trees, muddy if rained recently.
Disney, OK behind Pensacola dam - No Fee's. various trails pretty neat area to visit.
SMORR, Seymour, MO - Fee to wheel per day, super nice park and camping. Trails vary, moderate to hard. Easy will mean pinstripes.
Waynoka, OK Sand Dunes - Fee to wheel per day, need a flag.
I haven't been to any places in Arkansas. Beyond those listed above and just driving back roads those are general options for rock crawling or moderate wheeling. I think there are some worth while backroad trips through the flint hills and of toward Arkansas City and Independence, but I don't know the routes.

Reactions: T. Stanley

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Besides backroads or private property these are rock crawling centric locations:
Tuttle Creek ORV Randolph, KS - No Fee's, tight trees and brush possible scratches, mud, rocks. Easy to really hard, not a real big place but kind of neat.
Kansas Rocks Park, Mapleton, KS near Fort Scott, KS - Fee to wheel per day. Nice place, easy to hard, tight trees, muddy if rained recently.
Disney, OK behind Pensacola dam - No Fee's. various trails pretty neat area to visit.
SMORR, Seymour, MO - Fee to wheel per day, super nice park and camping. Trails vary, moderate to hard. Easy will mean pinstripes.
Waynoka, OK Sand Dunes - Fee to wheel per day, need a flag.
I haven't been to any places in Arkansas. Beyond those listed above and just driving back roads those are general options for rock crawling or moderate wheeling. I think there are some worth while backroad trips through the flint hills and of toward Arkansas City and Independence, but I don't know the routes.
thanks for the information, I am mostly into scenic trails, I’m not into rock crawling or dunes, I lived in Florida for 23 years, I have had my fill of sand to last the rest of my life. :)