Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I was walking up to Oliver the other day and noticed that my OB badge is cool but fairly small. Then I took a walk around Oliver, I have three OB stickers on Oliver one each side and the badge up front, and noticed that they were fairly small as well. This all got me thinking, I'm flying down the road and I see a cool looking rig. I would be hard pressed to see if there was an OB badge or stickers on it and I sure wouldn't be able to see the member number so I could ping whoever it was on the forums and say "cool rig" or "that's cool how did you do that?".

What I'm wondering is if we could get member license plates printed. I'm thinking something with the OB logo and member number that is readable from a bit of a distance.

I'd totally buy a set and put them on Oliver (albeit I'm a bit nutz), but, would anyone else?

What does everyone think?

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

So what, you have four license plates on your vehicle now? Two legal and two novelty? Seems silly.
Yeah, it might be a bit silly. But, the object is to make it easier to identify fellow members which would help with more Overland comradely , which could encourage more to join. OK, that's a bit far fetched but it is all in good fun.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Oklahoma is the only state that does not issue a front license plate. With all the stuff on our rigs, finding a place for a plate is going to be a challenge, I am technically riding dirty right now because I don't have the required front plate on my bumper because it gets in the way of airflow. Fortunately, my state makes it really hard for cops to enforce that particular law.

I would pass on a plate, in fact, I'm getting a bit worn out on all the branded merch. I don't need to advertise what I do, the rig does that all on its own. I don't want OB to become a "lifestyle brand" like Harley Davidson, it isn't about how much crap you stick a logo on, it's about what you do and who you do it with.

The emblems and a few hats are plenty for me.

Reactions: BCBrian

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I like the idea,
If you look at the Land Rover Camel Trophy signs that works pretty well on those so the concept is a good one
also the vanity plate (as i believe you know them as) can be a nice thing to stick on a window or a wall ;)

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I like the idea,
If you look at the Land Rover Camel Trophy signs that works pretty well on those so the concept is a good one
also the vanity plate (as i believe you know them as) can be a nice thing to stick on a window or a wall ;)
Thats sort of where the idea came from. I poked around and I guess license plate might not be the right name. it looks like rally number plate might be more correct.

Reactions: Kevigizmo