OB Gathering with all members invited? - possible?

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I think there is value in a national event. Perhaps once every 5 years? And yes, it needs to be planned out by a year or more so that folks can work on getting time off. And no, you won't be likely to get even 1,000 attendees. But it is good for expanding the sense of community.

Reactions: Road

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

This is the type of event I would probably avoid. The thing is that you really don't benefit from doing events that large. Individually you're still only going to be able to interact with a limited number of people, trail runs will have to be limited to the number of vehicles, and really it's just a lot more of a headache than it is worth.

I like the idea of more frequent regional events. Then there is opportunity for one to visit multiple events in a year, in very geographically diverse areas. You also get the opportunity to meet members from all around the country, but on a more intimate scale. For example, I may choose to attend a SW regional event, in my neck of the woods in October, but may also decide to run up to the Rocky Mountain region who could be hosting theirs at Moab in January.

Just for the sake of discussion / conversation.. Please don't think I am trying ot be negative or shoot down any ideas but I think it's worth considering..

And the point of planning things well in advance is definitely something we should strive for, since most of us are somewhat tied to work schedules and routines. The more notice the easier it will be for people to make arrangements to attend.
I agree. The intention is to have an event that would bring all the members together in one place but this is a big ass country. The idea is to have the event in the desert but all the deserts are on "that" side of the county which is a two or three day drive from us. The result is you have basically the same people showing up and us east coasters left out (unless we take off two weeks and burnt 450 gallons of fuel). And then you have deal with waiting in line and all the other issues dealing with crowds.

I agree that Overland Expo is the venue for this. The key is to do it like the Sportsmobile guys and set up so everyone is camped together.

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

I agree. The intention is to have an event that would bring all the members together in one place but this is a big ass country. The idea is to have the event in the desert but all the deserts are on "that" side of the county which is a two or three day drive from us. The result is you have basically the same people showing up and us east coasters left out (unless we take off two weeks and burnt 450 gallons of fuel). And then you have deal with waiting in line and all the other issues dealing with crowds.

I agree that Overland Expo is the venue for this. The key is to do it like the Sportsmobile guys and set up so everyone is camped together.
That's a lot of assumptions for a theoretical event that has zero planned details.

How about North Texas. Desert-like open spaces and in the middle of the Country. Around 2 long drive days from both the East coast and the West coast.

As far as lines and crowds, I have no solution for you considering its a large gathering, by definition.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Everyone keeps saying this already exist with OEXPO E&W, I say horse biscuits.....
Last year was the first year I was able to get tickets to Overland Expo West after being shut out the two previous years.
Did anyone see what happened when the tickets went on sale to Off The Grid 2017? Sold out faster than a Ozzie Osborne concert.
If you have something constructive to add, then by all means...
If your just here to say why it can't, shouldn't, or won't work then why don't you just monitor this channel rather than committing.
Watch how these project planners here make the seemingly impossible, possible.......

Grevlin, I suck at planning but I am very reliable on doing so if you need any help doing, please call on me and I'll be there.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I love the idea! That being said, the logistics and planning of it would be a long, drawn out process taking probably over a year. I think it is a great idea, but it is something that would probably be a few years off. The main difficulty is finding a venue big enough to host that many people. One of the reasons we have created the regions and regional ambassadors is to try and get some more spread out/local to OLB members meetups.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I love the idea! That being said, the logistics and planning of it would be a long, drawn out process taking probably over a year. I think it is a great idea, but it is something that would probably be a few years off. The main difficulty is finding a venue big enough to host that many people. One of the reasons we have created the regions and regional ambassadors is to try and get some more spread out/local to OLB members meetups.
And yet many if not all companies, organizations, or groups with separate areas, regions, and locations have an annual "All Hands On Deck" meeting or gathering of some sort. In this case to keep and/or enhance the cohesion of the entire OB community. Otherwise what would keep, let's say for instance, the group from Texas from seceding from OB to do their own thing because everyone is out there doing their own thing anyway. I believe that is why you are seeing this concept grow legs, Cali does their own thing and we are left to watch the YouTube videos. Something of this nature, although big and hard to manage, would be something that all are welcome to attend. But I could be wrong............

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

If you have something constructive to add, then by all means...
If your just here to say why it can't, shouldn't, or won't work then why don't you just monitor this channel rather than committing.
The OP asked for thoughts. I wasn't trying to shut down the idea, just giving my personal thoughts. That shouldn't take away from, or prevent interested parties from carrying on and putting something together. I took his post as offering and idea while also gauging interest.

As long as people are being respectful, explaining their opinions and not bashing, differing opinions shouldn't be discouraged.

Hope you guys are able to put something together and have a blast!

Last edited:

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

The OP asked for thoughts. I wasn't trying to shut down the idea, just giving my personal thoughts. That shouldn't take away from, or prevent interested parties from carrying on and putting something together. I took his post as offering and idea while also gauging interest.

As long as people are being respectful, explaining their opinions and not bashing, differing opinions shouldn't be discouraged.

Hope you guys are able to put something together and have a blast!
Chili, you know I wasn't talking about you. Hope to see you this coming Saturday and Big Buck's.......

Reactions: Craig M

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I'm still down with the "East meets West Rally" where the east coasters and the west coaster each start at opposite ends of the Trans American Trail and where the first two meet becomes Base Camp. Equality at its finest (unless you're In the middle already!)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: HeliSniper

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

You guys may be embarking on new territory here (in US at least). Expo is a a massive trade show (which I don't think is what you are going for). And the Rendezvous that AAdv puts on is capped at 100, and also there are 3 of them across the country. I'll be watching this. Think it would be cool to do but am skeptical for numerous reasons. Good luck! I hope this thing comes together.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I'm still down with the "East meets West Rally" where the east coasters and the west coaster each start at opposite ends of the Trans American Trail and where the first two meet becomes Base Camp. Equality at its finest (unless you're In the middle already!)

I like this idea!! Leave it to chance, what happens, where it happens, when it happens no one will know until it happens. Then we all converge for as long as it happens....
Much less planning this way.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Might make sense to build this out where there is open space and it's more "doable", cut your teeth on a few events as they grow then go big in a central location once you have the processes and experience. There will likely be legal hurdles to consider as well. First, comes to mind is California Deserts/ AZ / NV and UT as potential first trial run. Make it open to all, you're not going to get thousands anyway. If they can do it for King of the Hammers, and other festivals in Utah already mentioned, you can do it for overlanders.

IMO having done other events (never overland or off-road) I think you need a few things:
  1. A core driven group that will eat and sleep this. Someone has to own it and push it when it's stuck, dig it out of the ground when it wants to die.
  2. It needs a purpose, a call to action. Trail runs, expo, giant fire ring to dance around, something, fund raiser or advocacy and awareness, something for people to rally around that is bigger than them. IMO.
  3. Logistics and Legal. I saw some volunteered logistics expertise. I am sure others here are very familiar with land use and permitting.
  4. Just do it, you have to somewhere, whether it's 10 or 100 rigs or 200 the first time doesn't matter as much as getting the ball rolling.
  5. The ugly truth. Do you charge? IMO you're going to have to. Food, water, insurance, logistics, claiming your space, securing it and so on.

That's my stream of consciousness as the idea came to me. I think it could be rad for those that are into it.

Reactions: Grevlin

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I believe the hardest parts for this type of event will be A) Location/ Venue. This is why we need to be permitted for a large open area, so we run into no legal issues or problems. And B) setting a good time/date for the meet where weather and everything will be nice for all to enjoy. It will need to be far enough off for adequate prepping, time to get days off for work, all the normal life shenanigans. But also not so far off that it generates no interests until the weeks before it begins. Also, C) we will need to "market" the event, to generate tons of interest in all the different OL groups. If we truly desire a turn-out of overlanders to rival all events on earth, we HAVE to reach them all--or as many as we can.
I too agree that a small fee might be required, to help with venue fees and everything. We can accepts volunteers to help with end of event cleanup--the idea is to leave no trace but tire tacks--and we won't need extra $$ for cleanup crews. Food, drinks, fuel, all essentials will be up to the overlanders to bring--its kind of the point anyway to meet at a location for a massive campout! Its nobodies intentions to have to pay to feed each other--were all adults capable of feeding ourselves! That being said, however, I wouldn't be objective to putting in a few extra bucks for a last day feast, where we roast a couple pigs or something and collectively eat and each share little something about ourselves that nobody else in the group knows.
It is doable. WE just have to do it....

Reactions: Mike G and Grevlin

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
There are locations where this is feasible, two that come to mind are Quartzsite Az and California City Ca. Cal City on holidays has several thousand off roaders camped in area. And the last time I checked the city goes out of there way to accommodate due to increased revenue it brings in for local merchants. These are desert locations so you have to take that in consideration (wind, dust, etc).

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

There are locations where this is feasible, two that come to mind are Quartzsite Az and California City Ca. Cal City on holidays has several thousand off roaders camped in area. And the last time I checked the city goes out of there way to accommodate due to increased revenue it brings in for local merchants. These are desert locations so you have to take that in consideration (wind, dust, etc).

I like that idea BUT the problem is convincing our east coasters to travel west...I think a centrally located spot would be the best, most fair way to go about it....and therein the problem lies.

Reactions: Grevlin

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I am working on an event in Moab, UT next fall. Private land for the gathering, room for 100+ rigs, good weather and tons of trails. Im still working out the details with the landowner and I will start a gathering thread once things solidify.

Yes it is West of the Mississippi, but its not in California.

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I am working on an event in Moab, UT next fall. Private land for the gathering, room for 100+ rigs, good weather and tons of trails. Im still working out the details with the landowner and I will start a gathering thread once things solidify.

Yes it is West of the Mississippi, but its not in California.

BFE or Sand Flats ?

Reactions: Anchor Mtn