Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I wanted to do a meetup prior to the trail ride, so the plan is to have breakfast during that at Rudy’s, then when everyone is done we can head out
I've never eaten there. Will they be able to accommodate such a large group on a Saturday morning?

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
Thanks for this. We'll see how Friday night/Saturday morning looks and determine if we should go or not.
Looks like we may have gotten a few inches up at the FS379 area. I have driven that area many times in snow and it is definitely doable, the only show stopper could be drifting as the forecast shows winds today and 15mph tomorrow. At a minimum we should be able to work into Frosty’s Park area... I am willing to assist in breaking trail if needed. The temperature will assist in keeping the surface underneath solid. Thoughts?

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
Looks like we may have gotten a few inches up at the FS379 area. I have driven that area many times in snow and it is definitely doable, the only show stopper could be drifting as the forecast shows winds today and 15mph tomorrow. At a minimum we should be able to work into Frosty’s Park area... I am willing to assist in breaking trail if needed. The temperature will assist in keeping the surface underneath solid. Thoughts?
I’m still down. I don’t have my air compressor so if I could borrow one to air up at the run that would be awesome. It will be a test for my new pizza cutter Wildpeaks.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

It's up to you guys. I was logging on to cancel the trail ride portion, with less focus being on Mt. Baldy itself, and more on Gold Camp Rd and Old Stage (can get slick with blind corners). I would say for anyone that's traveling from outside of the local area, we'll reschedule this trail ride for hopefully next month (if weather permits), and plan on still holding the meetup at Rudy's tomorrow.

Frosty Park is definitely doable, but I wouldn't recommend going beyond that. I'd say for anyone that still wants to do the trail ride, plan on bringing your Maxtrax, air compressor, shovel, and extra food/water.

@Neal A. Tew - what do you think?

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I’m still down. I don’t have my air compressor so if I could borrow one to air up at the run that would be awesome. It will be a test for my new pizza cutter Wildpeaks.
Hey Vince, just realized you're the same Vince from when we did Mt. Baldy with Colorado Springs Tacomas earlier this year. I was the black tacoma with you guys.

Seanblktaco17

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Dalton
Member #

It's up to you guys. I was logging on to cancel the trail ride portion, with less focus being on Mt. Baldy itself, and more on Gold Camp Rd and Old Stage (can get slick with blind corners). I would say for anyone that's traveling from outside of the local area, we'll reschedule this trail ride for hopefully next month (if weather permits), and plan on still holding the meetup at Rudy's tomorrow.

Frosty Park is definitely doable, but I wouldn't recommend going beyond that. I'd say for anyone that still wants to do the trail ride, plan on bringing your Maxtrax, air compressor, shovel, and extra food/water.

I think this could be a good training event. Do the meetup and then afterwards do some training with maxtrax and what not.

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV

Here are my two thoughts: 1) I am NOT a fan of Old Stage or Gold Camp Rd (they are both terrible, but necessary to get to other places) 2) It is in Arvada, but another option is Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers and Juniper Overland are having a 4Wheel camper Open House showing some stuff from many overland manufacturers Colorado Open House Event | Four Wheel Campers

That being said, driving to Arvada/Denver is right up there on my list with Old Stage Rd/GCmp. ;-)

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

I think since the primary objective of this is to get to know each other let's keep the 4wd activity mild considering the weather. Not having met the majority of you I suspect we have varying ranges of off-road experience. I would rather have the experienced folks a little bored than to have the inexperienced too far out of their comfort zone.

For example, I have had built Jeeps and done some hard core rock crawling in my years, but almost none of it was in snow and now I'm driving a stock full size. So, admittedly I'm automatically a little out of my comfort zone and I'm looking to you guys to help make sure everyone has a good day.

Last I looked there were about 16 RSVPs so I estimate about 12 will show. That's still enough to allow for a splinter group(s) if folks want to do different things.

@mountainrecce, I'd like to see the campers, but not badly enough to make that drive. I'd suggest coming to Rudy's and then leading whoever might want to join you.

@Seanblktaco17, I love your idea about the maxtrax training, etc. Maybe come up with an informal plan and let's keep that as an option. Even if we didn't do it tomorrow, it's an outstanding idea for the future as we have all winter ahead of us. In my experience, this might be intimidating for some and I don't want it to keep anyone from meeting up on our first go.

@Fortis Overland , if we decide to keep it mild, do you think a trip up Gold Camp and then down Phantom Canyon with a pavement return is too big of a day? I only suggest that because it's a loop I'm familiar with.

Do you think it would be too messy to try to have the three options? (My thoughts have evolved since I started typing this response.)

A) Mild trip
B) Snow recovery training
C) Four Wheel Camper trip

The three of you could each have an informal plan and if you get enough takers to feel it worthwhile then you lead that group as such? Or is that too much?

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
I think since the primary objective of this is to get to know each other let's keep the 4wd activity mild considering the weather. Not having met the majority of you I suspect we have varying ranges of off-road experience. I would rather have the experienced folks a little bored than to have the inexperienced too far out of their comfort zone.

For example, I have had built Jeeps and done some hard core rock crawling in my years, but almost none of it was in snow and now I'm driving a stock full size. So, admittedly I'm automatically a little out of my comfort zone and I'm looking to you guys to help make sure everyone has a good day.

Last I looked there were about 16 RSVPs so I estimate about 12 will show. That's still enough to allow for a splinter group(s) if folks want to do different things.

@mountainrecce, I'd like to see the campers, but not badly enough to make that drive. I'd suggest coming to Rudy's and then leading whoever might want to join you.

@Seanblktaco17, I love your idea about the maxtrax training, etc. Maybe come up with an informal plan and let's keep that as an option. Even if we didn't do it tomorrow, it's an outstanding idea for the future as we have all winter ahead of us. In my experience, this might be intimidating for some and I don't want it to keep anyone from meeting up on our first go.

@Fortis Overland , if we decide to keep it mild, do you think a trip up Gold Camp and then down Phantom Canyon with a pavement return is too big of a day? I only suggest that because it's a loop I'm familiar with.

Do you think it would be too messy to try to have the three options? (My thoughts have evolved since I started typing this response.)

A) Mild trip
B) Snow recovery training
C) Four Wheel Camper trip

The three of you could each have an informal plan and if you get enough takers to feel it worthwhile then you lead that group as such? Or is that too much?
I think meeting at Rudy’s should be a GO regardless. You guys are the lead on this, I was just trying to help out. I think the main objective of an initial meet-up should be priority 1. We could discuss what we want to do in the future at the meet-up? I’m cool with whatever.