OB#3296 2016 Outback 3.6R Build

• HTML tutorial

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

IMG_7307.JPG I am finally getting around to starting the build thread for Dory, our 2016 Subaru Outback!

Current Mods:
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Subaru Wheel Arch Mouldings
Curt Class 3 Hitch
Curt Trailer Wiring Kit
Primitive Racing Skid Plates (engine, transmission, read differential)
Yakima Loadwarrior Basket with extention
Custom Crossbars (1x2 aluminum square tubing)
Method Racing MR502 17x8 Wheels x 5
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 x 5
Sumo Racing 2' Lift Kit (strut & subframe spacers)
Offroad Subaru 1.25" front lift springs
Rallitek 1.75" Super Raised rear springs
ARB 2000 Awning
Pelican Case 1730
37" Chinese LED Light Bar
Custom Traction Jack rack mount
Odyssey 25-PC1400T Automotive and LTV Battery

Coming Soon:
Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Solo High Clearance with Hi-lift Jack & Rotopax mount accessory (mid to late May)

Wishlist:
Primitive Racing Front Winch Mount
Superwinch Terra45 Winch w/ synthetic line
Dual Battery
ARB Onboard Compressor

IMG_5772.JPG
The inaugural road trip. First stop: Crater Lake Nat'l Park! Pretty much stock at this point.

IMG_5627.JPG
Curt Class 3 hitch installed.

IMG_6815.JPG
Wheels, Tires, Basket & Light Bar installed. Stock suspension.

IMG_7306.JPG
Lift kit & springs installed. MUCH better ;-) Looking forward to getting the spare tire on the Hitchgate to free up some space in the basket.

Last edited:

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

Looks awesome! Excited to see where it goes! I am in an '06 Outback, planning on moving to a Jeep soon but l am still a Subi fan at heart!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: K7CWJ

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looking good! So how about the initial stiffness of those rear springs? Haha.

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Looking good! So how about the initial stiffness of those rear springs? Haha.
Yeah, you weren't kidding! You can definitely tell a difference in ride quality with the car loaded down though - it's much more comfortable with some weight in the back. I did swap out the standard height King Springs in front for the Offroad Subaru lift springs. I wanted to level things out a bit more, but I have to admit that the car handled markedly better with the Kings. I'm not unhappy with Grant's springs though, and I will be keeping them installed. Trade offs.....

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yeah, you weren't kidding! You can definitely tell a difference in ride quality with the car loaded down though - it's much more comfortable with some weight in the back. I did swap out the standard height King Springs in front for the Offroad Subaru lift springs. I wanted to level things out a bit more, but I have to admit that the car handled markedly better with the Kings. I'm not unhappy with Grant's springs though, and I will be keeping them installed. Trade offs.....
I carry a good amount of weight all the time and they were still stiff for a while. Much better now though so give them some more time and beat them up with weight whenever you can. I helped someone move just for the weight haha.

I think the Offroad Subaru springs feel very close to OE in day to day drives but handle off road conditions much better. What was it, more specifically, that you liked about the Kings?

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Subscribed!

Kinda been eyeing that wilco hitch mount for my XC, but gotta install the hitch first [emoji23] curious to see flicks and hear your impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

I carry a good amount of weight all the time and they were still stiff for a while. Much better now though so give them some more time and beat them up with weight whenever you can. I helped someone move just for the weight haha.

I think the Offroad Subaru springs feel very close to OE in day to day drives but handle off road conditions much better. What was it, more specifically, that you liked about the Kings?
The car had much better on-road handling with the Kings, I think because they are stiffer, yet progressive (and because the car was an inch lower with them versus the OS springs). I am totally happy with the taller springs though. I would recommend them to anyone who intends to spend time away from the pavement. If someone was just looking to improve the look of their rig (edit: and just do a strut spacer lift) and not go overlanding, then I would recommend the Kings on all four corners. Me though, I gots da have dat ground clearance :-)

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Subscribed!

Kinda been eyeing that wilco hitch mount for my XC, but gotta install the hitch first [emoji23] curious to see flicks and hear your impressions.

I'll definitely report back on the Hitchgate. The biggest question for me is just how rattle-free is this contraption? haha There aren't a lot of good pictured reviews out there that I can find, unfortunately. I'll solve that.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Looking good, just got my ADF lift installed on 2017 Outback and tires are coming the end of the month. BFG AT KO2's. How is the ground clearance with the Kurt hitch? I am thinking of going the same route using the Wilco tire carrier to keep the full size spare off the roof. Getting too old to heft that up and down as needed.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I'll definitely report back on the Hitchgate. The biggest question for me is just how rattle-free is this contraption? .
I hear you. That's my exact concern too, tho I've read it's quite solid. I look forward to your exhaustive review!

Reactions: Terry Pickens

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Nice I looked at some Subies Crosstrek or WRX just couldn't do the CVT. How do you like the CVT?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

Nice I looked at some Subies Crosstrek or WRX just couldn't do the CVT. How do you like the CVT?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I love it. Outbacks aren't rock crawlers so there's really no disadvantage to going with a CVT. The X-Mode feature gives a lower gear ratio when it's required & the AWD system is world class sophisticated. If you're like me and not interested in sacrificing daily drivability for go-anywhere capability, then there's no real drawback to a CVT in a "fairer-weather" overlander like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

How do you like the 3.6? Did you test drive the 2.5 too?
I did test drive the 2.5L and would have been fine with it had I not test driven the 3.6R immediately afterwards :tonguewink: The six is remarkably stronger than the four. I always planned on towing a camping trailer behind it so I was already inclined to get the 3.6R. I enjoy telling folks that it has a flat six "just like a Porsche 911" :tearsofjoy: If you're an asphalt roadtripper though, get the four cylinder. After all the mods, my car gets 19-20 mpg in full dress.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

and would have been fine with it had I not test driven the 3.6R immediately afterwards
That was me when I was looking to replace my '08 OBXT with a '15 3.6R! At that time, the 3.6 also had a beefier CVT than the 2.5. I don't know if that's true now with newer models.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
That was me when I was looking to replace my '08 OBXT with a '15 3.6R! At that time, the 3.6 also had a beefier CVT than the 2.5. I don't know if that's true now with newer models.
It's still true. It's called the high torque cvt but is still a first gen CVT while the 2.5 gets a much improved second gen. It's sort of a curious thing since there's only a 300lb towing difference.

Reactions: Steve