Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

So on a whim I decided to do a 2 day trip to the eastern section. I had originally planned to go from Hugo all the way up to Wister lake but due to the slow going on a lot of the trail I only made it as fas as Beech creek recreation area.
This is by far the best section of the OAT I have done before. This was expected as I have spent years hiking and camping in the Ouachita national forest area so I already knew how beautiful it is!
The section east of Beaver lake is a managed logging area so the roads are well kept and there is varying scenery from older growth forest, young, and clear cut.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
I understand the need for lumber but it is still butt ugly to look at.

The section north of this had a tremendous amount of fallen trees on the path. Kuddos to whomever cut a path.
image.jpeg
Cool bridge/road I used to get out.
image.jpeg
The section in the Ouachita forest was especially nice. However a lot of the roads were extreemly rough with many areas, like 6025, having a number of areas where you had better be paying attention. One area near the Kiamichi fire tower I didnt feel comfortable doing alone so I bypassed.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My morning view and trusty co pilot.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sirloin for dinner!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
There was no shortage of campsites available along the route. Most in the Beech creek recreation ares. I picked one on the ridge of Honobia mountain near 3 sticks monument. It was cleared, 2 fire rings, and room for up to 3 rigs.

I underestimmated how rough the trails were going to be in the Ouachitas, how slow I would have to go, and how much gas I would be using. Therefore I didnt do all that I was expecting. I had a great time non the less and will be revisiting some side areas I want to check out.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

A few more pics. These are the Mountain fork river area.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Camping on the 2nd night
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Interesting long abandoned home/cabin. Its along the trail east of 3 sticks monument. Very hard to see.
image.jpeg
Trail heading to the Beech creek area. Some parts get really rough and rocky. There were a couple Subbies pulling up my 6 but they had to break off because it got to rough for them.
image.jpeg
Road on the back side of Honobia mountan. Not part of the OAT just doing some exploring
image.jpeg
This bridge was pretty rickety and swayed and popped as I was going over
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
View from old Indian highway
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Good deal I've ran it from 3 Sticks Monument to Carpenter's bridge. Trying to get back up there and run the next section to Mount SCott as a day trip.

Here's my Hugo to Durant section report. Ran as a day trip.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Went back to Ouachitas for a little exploring in the area. Started at 3 sticks and headed east on the OAT to highway 63. The headed east on 63 just inside Arkansas to Skyline dr then went north on Skyline. This foreat rd goes in and out or OK and AR and ends up on the senic byway. Heading west back to OK I turned on forest rd 514 as a short cut back to highway 63 and then camping in the Beech creek recreation area.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
Thanks for sharing. I have some family out that way that may be interested. If you only had 2-3 days, what sections would you do?

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

The next day I headed north on 6032 to do some exploring. Crosed the Kiamichi river but a little ways down I was stopped by lots of mud.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Then I turned around and headed west on 63. In anticipation of an upcoming trip with @ryanorr280 I wanted to scout out road 289 which leads up the northside of Honobia mountain and meets up with 6025 near the Kiamichi fire tower.
Cool bridge heading in.
image.jpeg
Half way up the mountain I came around a bend and there was a black bear taking a dump in the middle of the road. Lol. As soon as it saw me it split with a quickness.
About 2/3rd way up I came across this. Must have been quite a feat to get it there.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
From here on Im going to dub this "road" the trail from hell. It started getting progressively worse the further I went and before long I was commited as there was no turning back. The trail was barely wide enough for my rig with shear drop off on my left. All the drainage culverts that had been placed there many decades ago were washed out on both sides. Getting over required stacking rocks in most cases and moving in other cases. There were also several off camber places that had my rig leaning to the drop off. To add to that, lots of loose rock and washed out areas. I was white knuckling it the whole time. Lol. Had to push my little 4runner pretty hard but she did good.
Finally got good at the End of the trail. image.jpeg

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Met up with two really cool OB'rs @ryanorr280 and @Downs to tackle more of the eastern secton of the OAT and do a little exploring.
Met up at three sticks and headed to the Kiamichi fire tower for some pics. Weather was rainy, heavy at times, and very foggy in some places.
image.jpeg
There were 2 cool little buildings still standng behind the tower
image.jpegimage.jpeg
From here we headed east on the OAT into the Beech Creek area.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
We decided to leave the OAT at 6025 and 6026 to further explore 6025. A lot of the trail was way over grown and made a small "tunnel" through the forest. Gave us some nice pin striping and Ryan got to test out his new vinal wrap! Sorry no pics they didn't turn out very good.
Found this really nice campsite off the path. A nice meadow in the middle of the forest. No doubt you could fit quit a few trucks here . I will keep the location secret unless Josh or Ryan want to divulge the location.

image.jpeg
From here we detoured to Mena Arkansas for gas and snacks then headed to the senic byway and then to FR514 where we made camp on Rich mountain. Josh picked this site. It sits about 100yd off the road. Very good site. Got to try out a new tarp for the first time. Needs work! Lol
image.jpeg

The next mornng we headed back up to the byway for some cools pics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
From here we headed back to Oklahoma and tackled some more of the OAT and did some more exploring. Found part of the OAT closed and a huge pile of dirt blocking the way. I believe it was A45. It had been this way for awhile. Required a simple, but probably not as as scenic, detour.

One of the high lights of the trip was stumbling across an abandoned and dismantled firetower site. Acessed it via a small rough road to a clearing, then had to climb up the rest of the way. At the top was a beautiful view and flat area perfect in size for one tent. I will certainly be visiting this spot again.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
It still amazes me how beautiful Oklahoma can be. 3 bears were spotted, an adorable fawn, and neumerous other little kritters. It was a great trip. Being wth a couple of great fellow OB'rs made it even better. Look forward to coming back and doing some more exploring.

Attachments

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Had a good time. Its nice to get out there with like minded folks. Added a lot of new campsite markers to GAIA including a few in already ready to get back to.

I went up a day early and explored a bit of the area on the west side of 259. Most unusual thing spotted was a bed on saw horses ha.

Found a great creekside camp site for night one. The battle against ticks was a constant as usual for this time of year. Even with copious OFF application i still pulled 1 tick per night off of myself.

Still lots left to explore up there. Being only a few hours away its become my go to area for weekend trips.

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Ryan, great picture. Can you recall where this is?
Thanks!

I don’t remember the location though, the wife grabbed that one out the window as we passed it. I’ll look and see if the photo has a gps tag imbedded when I get home today.
Yeah I don't even remember passing that.