Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Everett, WA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Rutherford
Member #

Awesome. If you didn't get the invite for the 10/13/18 meeting, let me know and I will send it to you.
I didn't get an invite but I found it on Rally Point. Should be able to go if I don't get dragged into work last minute. I'm on there as a maybe for now.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Wow... just wow! I am so amazed and humbled by the awesome turnout for today's meet-up and trail run. There were 11 rigs carrying 20 overlanders! Thank you all for coming out to enjoy the beautiful sights, sunshine, and fellowshiping. I have a great time and I hope you all did too.
NWOB-OCT2018-Post.jpg

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
It was great to see you and your wife and also the mythical Franklin there.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Looks like it would be a neat place to have a look at.

You think we have enough camping season left?

-jim lee

p0giewan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Everett, WA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Rutherford
Member #

Looks like it would be a neat place to have a look at.

You think we have enough camping season left?

-jim lee
We might be pushing it. They posted they were doing it before the snow hit. Don't know the area well enough to know when they start getting snow.

Reactions: Jedi

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Moisture is returning to the forecast in about a week, so I think it will be questionable as to the likelihood of snow on the trail and at the lake.

JoshMTN4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Monroe, WA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Gallagher Lake has been at the top of my list all year. Glad there was a good turn out for the recent meetup and trail run! - I'll have to join in on the next one. I've heard that the trail up to Gallagher is impassable in snow, I've never run it before though.

Reactions: RainGoat

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

So.. What ever happened to our aerial photography? The entire trip and we only got one picture?! I thought this was the 21st century? Where are all these young people with their high tech savvy when we need 'em?

-jim lee

Reactions: RainGoat

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Gallagher Lake has been at the top of my list all year. Glad there was a good turn out for the recent meetup and trail run! - I'll have to join in on the next one. I've heard that the trail up to Gallagher is impassable in snow, I've never run it before though.
Check out the recent NWOL post showing Cassidy Steed’s wife nearly toppling her Jeep off the road when part of it gave way. Might have been a good time to miss that trail.

JoshMTN4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Monroe, WA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Check out the recent NWOL post showing Cassidy Steed’s wife nearly toppling her Jeep off the road when part of it gave way. Might have been a good time to miss that trail.
Yikes! - Yeah that was definitely an unwelcome spooky story for October. I'm really glad she and the little one walked away from the incident and there was a group that found her on the way up the next morning. Definitely lessons to be learned from that story. My wife and I are looking at adding an Inreach Explorer to our rig very soon now that we're well equiped to start some bigger adventures. Still, I'm going to try and avoid solo missions for that story alone. The Inreach is a great insurance policy to get communications out during crisis though.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yikes! - Yeah that was definitely an unwelcome spooky story for October. I'm really glad she and the little one walked away from the incident and there was a group that found her on the way up the next morning. Definitely lessons to be learned from that story. My wife and I are looking at adding an Inreach Explorer to our rig very soon now that we're well equiped to start some bigger adventures. Still, I'm going to try and avoid solo missions for that story alone. The Inreach is a great insurance policy to get communications out during crisis though.
As you’ve said, a good reminder. I always have my Mom travel with a SPOT & PLB because she’s remote & solo a lot. I’ve essentially always been with a passenger (buddy, girlfriend, now wife). In the last year I’ve begun overnighting with just the kids. Last Thursday, I was remote above Lake Kachess with my 7yo boy. A little stumble & it hit me I was effectively traveling alone. One slip while hiking, or a roadway giving way, and it would not only effect me but would also leave my son stranded & alone. I’ve been very happy with tracking my Mom with the SPOT but was thinking about trying the InReach - it’s just that it’s overdue for a new version. I thought it would come out this summer but instead they released the mini version. I’d like to see the full size version updated. BTW, it was 28*F last Thursday & I still had cold feet in my daughters 20*bag that I was trialing. She must have been freezing, it was a real hypothermia risk for sure.

Reactions: JoshMTN4R

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
The November meet-up is posted as a Rally Point [link] and a thread has been created in the Meet-up forum [link] to discuss it. I am currently working with Les Schwab to do a little education on choosing the right off-road tires and on repairing tires on the trail. I have a back-up plan that will focus solely on tire repair if Les Schwab doesn't work out.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Yeah, VERY short notice, but..

I'm throwing a meetup/BBQ Tomorrow 11/3 Noon-ish. A bunch of locals. A big part of the group is people who build stuff. Lots of craftsmen with mad skills. The other smaller part may be, err.. Hippies? I figured the people building up overland vehicles would mix in well with this bunch. Bring a snack or a Drink and C'mon down!

Directions and things are on the rally point:

-jim lee

Reactions: Kevyn Williams