US Northwest NW Washington Monthly Campout: February Edition!

• HTML tutorial

Pklaus

Rank 0
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Marysville, WA, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Klaus
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LSJ
Thanks!

While I love my Jeep and it is set-up to go pretty much anywhere, it is a little more work to drive with the four cylinder (mainly when pulling the trailer). The truck is more comfortable, and pretty much put it in drive and go. With the truck's true-tracs front & rear, it has always been a beast in the snow. So from what you're saying I'm leaning towards the truck for this trip.

And either way, I'll bring the trailer. Depending on what the ground looks like at the campsite, I'll either set up a small 8x10' tent & cot, or sleep in the RTT (really a double sized tent-cot) on the trailer.

View attachment 140535
you make that yourself?

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
you make that yourself?
Pretty much. In simple terms, I had an aluminum tub made, and then bolted it to a modified Harbor Freight trailer frame. It has served me well.

Here's a link to the trailer on the OB forum, and it includes a build link from the JeepForum.

It isn't too difficult to do, and if you've got limited space in your overland vehicle, I strongly recommend a little trailer.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Pretty much. In simple terms, I had an aluminum tub made, and then bolted it to a modified Harbor Freight trailer frame. It has served me well.

Here's a link to the trailer on the OB forum, and it includes a build link from the JeepForum.

It isn't too difficult to do, and if you've got limited space in your overland vehicle, I strongly recommend a little trailer.
That's super neat. I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend. What company made the tub?

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
That's super neat. I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend. What company made the tub?
Diamond Deluxe made the tub. They make hunting dog boxes among other things.

Link:
I wanted a tub in the style of the old WWII trailers because 1) I was in the Army at the time, and 2) It just looks right being pulled behind a Jeep.

We emailed back and forth a couple times to get the specs I wanted, agreed on a price, and they built it for me. They've done some other trailer tubs for folks, but unfortunately they don't seem to advertise it. I think they could really expand their business selling tubs for modified Harbor Freight trailer frames. Really all it is is an aluminum diamond plate box with a hinged locking lid. Just like a truck tool box (except mine flares at the top). There's one or two things I would do different the second time around with the tub, but they're minor. I've been extremely pleased with the tub and trailer.

I'll be happy to show it off this weekend.

Trailer plans.1 - Copy.jpgtrailer specs - Copy (2).png

Jeff Lloyd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
Member #

If anybody has any questions on how to get there or if anyone would like to follow me up I will be leaving the Sedro Woolley area about 1 o'clock in the afternoon on Friday.

Scott Loeser

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Shelton, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Loeser
Member #

If anybody has any questions on how to get there or if anyone would like to follow me up I will be leaving the Sedro Woolley area about 1 o'clock in the afternoon on Friday.
Thanks Jeff, I’ll be coming from Shelton with a quick stop in Seattle. My plan is to arrive around 5-6. See you and everyone at the Campground.

pnwexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Olympia, WA
First Name
Hannah
Last Name
Lee
Member #

It looks like I need to bail. My wife's work schedule got changed. Sorry. I hope to make next month if it doesn't conflict with a previous trip I have planned.

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

Hate to do this, but we won’t be making it. Filming a new video tomorrow then the pre work begins on the FJ for its latest transformation. Next one!

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Hoping everyone is having a great time camping, while we did not have time in the schedule to head up for camping, we do hope to have some time for a drive up in the morning for a quick visit and to say hi. We did have a quick camp fire in the back yard tonight with some pie iron sandwiches and smores to help get us in the mood lol.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Glad we took the time to head up for a day trip. We really enjoyed meeting everyone and visiting for a while around the fire. Looking forward to future events when we can partake in the camping too. A big thanks to @Gabriel Bozeman for hosting the meetup, and great to meet your family.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Did ok, I was so worried about sinking in the mud that morning. Then, once I got it on the gravel, I thought the war was won. Imagine my shock at finding the roads getting snowed in as we headed back. It sure was pretty though!

( I thought I posted this two days ago. Whoops! )

-jim lee