US Northwest NW Washington Monthly Campout: February Edition!

• HTML tutorial

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Ok; I'm in. I'll have to leave Friday morning - it'll be a bit of a drive for me to get there before sunset/Friday evening.

Did someone mention snow?Snow.1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Jeff Lloyd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
Member #

Hey folks!

February\'s installment of the NW Washington Meetup will be at Kulshan Campground near Baker Lake. This is north of Concrete, WA along the N Cascades Hwy (Hwy 20).
Hey folks!

February\'s installment of the NW Washington Meetup will be at Kulshan Campground near Baker Lake. This is north of Concrete, WA along the N Cascades Hwy (Hwy 20).
New to this, we would like to come. How does camp registration work? Do we get a site just like at any state park?
This campsite is free during the winter! Must show up and pick your spot

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I'm thinking of bringing a kayak. Anyone else considering it since we'll be near water?
Kayak on Jeep.14.jpg

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I'm excited! I could use a little excursion right about now. Question - earlier it was posted:

"I've got several spots that will be perfect for a Saturday drive! My plan is to wake up Saturday and take a drive around the Cascades (group decision). Anyone can come, but you do not have to. Leave at 11 or 12? A couple places to consider are Baker Hot Springs, Dock Butte, Blue Lake, Elbow Lake, and much more!"

Will this drive (and to get to the places under consideration) be on paved roads, dirt roads, or dirt trails (with the understanding there may be snow on any of these roads/trails)?

I'm just trying to decide if I should bring my Jeep (locked both ends, winch, recovery gear) or my truck (limited slips/true-tracs both ends, recovery gear, no winch). Both vehicles are on 33" tires.

Truck and trailer.jpg

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I'm excited! I could use a little excursion right about now. Question - earlier it was posted:

"I've got several spots that will be perfect for a Saturday drive! My plan is to wake up Saturday and take a drive around the Cascades (group decision). Anyone can come, but you do not have to. Leave at 11 or 12? A couple places to consider are Baker Hot Springs, Dock Butte, Blue Lake, Elbow Lake, and much more!"

Will this drive (and to get to the places under consideration) be on paved roads, dirt roads, or dirt trails (with the understanding there may be snow on any of these roads/trails)?

I'm just trying to decide if I should bring my Jeep (locked both ends, winch, recovery gear) or my truck (limited slips/true-tracs both ends, recovery gear, no winch). Both vehicles are on 33" tires.

View attachment 140507
Depending on where we decide to go, it will either be paved or dirt roads. And yes, snow. No dirt trails that I know of. I am personally up for going pretty much anywhere near where we will be camping. Either one of your vehicle will be just fine. We have some more stock rigs (mine included :cry:) that we will have to cater to as well. Thanks for bringing this up.

Are you bringing the trailer? I'm looking to build one and love the look of yours!

Cheers,
Gabriel Bozeman
NW Member Rep

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Depending on where we decide to go, it will either be paved or dirt roads. And yes, snow. No dirt trails that I know of. I am personally up for going pretty much anywhere near where we will be camping. Either one of your vehicle will be just fine. We have some more stock rigs (mine included :cry:) that we will have to cater to as well. Thanks for bringing this up.

Are you bringing the trailer? I'm looking to build one and love the look of yours!

Cheers,
Gabriel Bozeman
NW Member Rep
Thanks!

While I love my Jeep and it is set-up to go pretty much anywhere, it is a little more work to drive with the four cylinder (mainly when pulling the trailer). The truck is more comfortable, and pretty much put it in drive and go. With the truck's true-tracs front & rear, it has always been a beast in the snow. So from what you're saying I'm leaning towards the truck for this trip.

And either way, I'll bring the trailer. Depending on what the ground looks like at the campsite, I'll either set up a small 8x10' tent & cot, or sleep in the RTT (really a double sized tent-cot) on the trailer.

Overland Adventure.7.jpg

Last edited: