Launch Member

Contributor I

FL
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Blythe
Member #

I'm currently at Duke, have been in the area for awhile. Currently building my new grand Cherokee a bit and planning on an offroad camper. Would love to meet up. I'm originally from the NW, so Florida kinda sucks for me...., plus the $30 minimum I've found for camping in the local state parks. Send me a PM if you ever want to meet up. I'm in Crestview.

Spooky08

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, Florida, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hendrickson
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I'm currently at Duke, have been in the area for awhile. Currently building my new grand Cherokee a bit and planning on an offroad camper. Would love to meet up. I'm originally from the NW, so Florida kinda sucks for me...., plus the $30 minimum I've found for camping in the local state parks. Send me a PM if you ever want to meet up. I'm in Crestview.
I might try and throw a little something together after it cools off a bit. Nothing super serious or challenging for the vehicles, but probably like a weekend camping deal up around black water or something. Unless your spending all your time in the water or just enjoy being hot, you just gotta wait till it cools of a little.

Spooky08

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hendrickson
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
How is the camping at eglin? Can you camp anywhere or only in campgrounds?
So technically you are supposed to go to Jackson Guard and get a camping pass for the specific campsite that you going to use (cheap, something like $5). They are all supposed to be primitive sites. So the by the book answer is campsites only, but it’s a big place, just saying...

blt2rok

Rank I

Enthusiast I

So technically you are supposed to go to Jackson Guard and get a camping pass for the specific campsite that you going to use (cheap, something like $5). They are all supposed to be primitive sites. So the by the book answer is campsites only, but it’s a big place, just saying...

So that leads me to another question. How well marked are the trails? Is it a free-for-all or are there clear trails you have to stay on? We're are looking to go over there the first weekend in November if this storm hasn't messed up to much stuff over there.

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

So that leads me to another question. How well marked are the trails? Is it a free-for-all or are there clear trails you have to stay on? We're are looking to go over there the first weekend in November if this storm hasn't messed up to much stuff over there.
Great question. The trails aren’t marked all the time. It is however a free for all. BUT there are very specific areas that you are not to go. Huge signs fences gates etc make it very clear. All of the trails that they don’t want you on have chains across them.

They will teach you this in the video they make you watch when you get your permit online, but you also need to check the area closures. They will post what areas are closed to civilians so that you don’t accidentally run into a training exercise.

Have fun! It’s the best place to Overland in Florida

Reactions: Brutus

Spooky08

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Hendrickson
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Yep, like Birkmire said they will go over most of the big ticket items in the video brief you have to do. The biggest one is to not go through and red gates marked as a “z line”. I go out into those regularly for work when I’m authorized to do so. But if you’re just out there camping, you don’t want to accidentally end up on a live fire or Gunship range. Stay clear of those and it a great place to go!

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

Any more news on tril to the Eglin ranges?
There have been a few folks who have talked about going together on here.
In regards to the organized meet up... It’s funny you ask. I will be figuring that out this upcoming weekend with my buddy who still lives up there. We are thinking Feb. or March.

I will for sure post here more details once I have them nailed down.

Reactions: Brutus