What is the best date for this trip?

• Total voters

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I don't think I'll be able to scout it at all with the weather coming in this week. I think it would be best to postpone into February at least.

-M

If you are familiar with the area, and you are not confident the route is good and safe to pass I would agree with you on postponing the trip. I will go ahead and cancel the current reservations I have for Jan 20 and 21.

I unfortunately can't do February as I am already planning a trip to Death Valley with family then and need to save my money in February, but if this Mustang Tour gets pushed off into March and beyond I am all for it and will do my best again to be there!

Thanks again for trying to set this all up.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
If you are familiar with the area, and you are not confident the route is good and safe to pass I would agree with you on postponing the trip. I will go ahead and cancel the current reservations I have for Jan 20 and 21.

I unfortunately can't do February as I am already planning a trip to Death Valley with family then and need to save my money in February, but if this Mustang Tour gets pushed off into March and beyond I am all for it and will do my best again to be there!

Thanks again for trying to set this all up.
The area is getting snow right now. On the route from Lockwood is some steep switchbacks and shelf road that could be washed out, so let's cancel the January date and look at February.

-M

Reactions: O.Dfj

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

The area is getting snow right now. On the route from Lockwood is some steep switchbacks and shelf road that could be washed out, so let's cancel the January date and look at February.

-M
Sounds good. I will cancel my reservations today.

Like I said above I don't think I can do February, but when ever you reschedule for I will do my best to get back in for this trip. The route and scenery looks great! Will continue to monitor this thread.

Thank again

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Of course, if anyone wants to stick to it I'm game. I just wouldn't want you guys to drive all the way out and get skunked right off the bat. I was hoping to be able to scout the route, but it's been apocalyptical around here.

-M

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Of course, if anyone wants to stick to it I'm game. I just wouldn't want you guys to drive all the way out and get skunked right off the bat. I was hoping to be able to scout the route, but it's been apocalyptical around here.

-M

Well I am for sure still game. I have not cancelled my reservations yet. But unfortunately I have no knowledge of the area so I will have to defer to your experience of the routes here. With the weather we have had, and looking at the forecast for Reno next week which at the moment is showing rain Wednesday and a Thursday, and snow Friday and into Saturday, would it be safe and doable to still run these routes?

We could wait till the start of next week to make a final call? Let the forecasts for next week shape up with more concrete information then make the determination?

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

This is the current state of Lousetown Road and the trailhead:

http://www.reno4x4.com/showthread.php/86490-lousetown-road-washed-out

Thanks for posting up the link and information.

I would agree with the link that does not look good for this run happening on the weekend of Jan 21. To hear major portions of the trails are washed out and or flooded doesn't build the confidence I was hoping for.

Took another look at the extended forecast for Reno and Virginia City next weekend. Looks like rain starting in Reno next Wednesday and turning to snow on Friday Jan 20 and running through the weekend. In Virginia City looks like snow is called for the entire second half of next week starting Thursday Jan 19 and continuing through at least Sat. Jan 21.

I really REALLY want to do this trip but with all the flooding and road damage going on, unless there is a major change in the forecast and weather for next week I think I will play this one safe and wait to do this run another day.

I do appreciate all the effort @Wolfy has put into setting this trip up. Hope to join you guys on another one sooner rather than later.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Let's push back until dry times. Sliding down a canyon would be a bummer. Maybe we NV guys can scout it first chance we get.

It really is the end of the world over here.

-M

Reactions: Slamson00

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I would love to do this trip, but gould not do it on the originally planned weekend. Keep me posted when you reschedule.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Greetings friends!

Just went out to recon the route and it's all good. VERY ROUGH compared to before this winter, but very doable. Here are some photos.

Lousetown Road 2017 by Mike Henderson, on Flickr

We can do this run soon. The more water up there the longer the horses will hang out. I think if we did it June 17 or July 1 it would be ideal. Could be hot, but that's why we all drive modern high performance 4x4s with air conditioning...

Maybe I'll try to post a poll on the dates.

Route would be something like:

• 9:00 AM Saturday: Meet at start of trail in Lockwood, NV
  • 10:00 Roll out. Several interesting stops along the way for photos.
  • 1:00 lunch at Lagomarsino Petroglyphs
  • 3:00 roll out, Explore the area for 4x4 challenges and mustangs
  • 5:oo Set up camp: There are several good campsite options. I'll post a GPS track with pins for camps.

• Sunday: Roll to Virginia City. Hang out there for a while. Lots to do, mine tours, gunslinger shows and BBQ.
  • 1:00: roll out to Ophir Grade Road and rally at Mt. Davidson, the highest point in the Virginia Range for the most epic truck lineup photo you've ever seen.
  • 3:00 head down Jumbo Grade Road to Washoe Valley. Several routes available for stock or built 4x4s.
  • 4:00-5:00: roll home.
The distances involved in this tour are not great. So drive time will be short, but hopefully you'll get to see some horses, and Virginia City is fun.

-M

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Looks like a great trip!! Thanks for organizing again. Would love to make this but due to other trips right around this time don't know if I can squeeze in another. If anything changes and I can make it I will post up. Beautiful area too.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I would love to do it, right now either weekend would work for me.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I'm interested. Either of those weekends could work for me, barring work sending me somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
OK, I'm going to make it June 17th.

Let's meet along Canyon Way (I-80 Exit 22) in Lockwood just outside of town at 9:00 to be rolling by 10:00 after air down and BSing.

There is a Chevron at the next Exit East, and many more options at the VISTA Blvd Exit in Sparks before you get into the canyon. The distances involved are not great so there should be no worry about running out of gas.

Plan on camping in a completely primitive area. There is no campground, no toilet, no water, no tables, no fire rings, no nothing. So BRING ALL THE BEER YOU NEED. If this isn't cool, plan on heading out to Virginia City or South Reno on Saturday.

The road is ROUGH but not gnarly. Most vehicles should make it and there'l still be some fun stuff to make things interesting, including Bronco Canyon.

Will post a map of the route soon.

Who's in?

-M

Reactions: Tom K and Kent R

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Damn. Fathers day weekend so I am definitely out. Family plans will keep me grounded that weekend. Enjoy everyone looks like a great trip.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I also can't go that weekend but want to go bad, look forward to your map.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I could do July 1. Didn't seem like anyone had a preference. I guess I never figured out how to post a poll.

-M