• HTML tutorial

What is the best date for this trip?

• Total voters

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
THE IDEA

So during the Nevada Weekend trip, everyone was stoked to see the Mustangs we have here in Western NV, so I'm working on a tour of the Virginia Range that will surely include horse sightings.

THE ROUTE

Here's a map of possible route. Day 1 is Lockwood, NV at I-80 to Virginia City stopping at various points of interest along the way including the Lagomarsino Petroglyph site. (why yes, I do have video of that...)

Day 2 would be either run the spine of the Virginia Range from Mt. Davidson to Carson City (this includes a stop at the highest point in the range and an EPIC group photo spot, but not many horses likely), or a run down into Carson City along the east side, or Jumbo Grade (as a matter of fact I have a video of that too now that you mention it) I need to do some more scouting of the east side between VC and CC.

THE CAMPING

If we want to do this in winter, camping is going to be hard. There aren't going to be any good campgrounds open along this route, and I don't think we'd want to camp in the cold anyway. It is usually nice enough during the day (that video link above was shot in February) but at night it'll be brutal.

A possibility would be getting a room at one of the hotels in VC. The Silver Queen is an option. I'll look into others, but spending the night in VC would be pretty rad.

THE DATE

I'm pretty open. Bowie is in ski club until March so we are stuck in town for that. Probably looking mid to late January probably. Any suggestions? January is generally a dry month here, but as we've seen anything can happen. I don't have any blackout days here yet.

• Jan 14th - 16th weekend (MLK Day) Extra day to get home, might be crowded in VC
  • Jan 21
  • Jan 28
  • SUGGESTIONS

So who is in?

-Mike

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I would love to do this, right now I have no plans in January.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
You guys like the Overnighting in VC idea? I mean, night will be COOOOOOOLD outside unless we go down somewhere like Washoe Lake State Park. Even then it would be brutal.

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Interested as well! Tentative but hoping to make this work.

Are kids welcome to come on these events? Also would a completely stock4x4 2016 Tacoma have any issue on these trails (no armor or sliders either just factory skids)?

Would be down for staying the night in Virginia City. My 15 year old wont do winter camping lol.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Yo. Sorry for the lack of action. I'm still planning on this.

I still have not been able to get out and scout a route from VC to CC, but I might tomorrow or the coming week. It's been raining a TON here so that means MUD...

Here is the track we take from I-80 at Lockwood to Lagomarsino Petroglyphs and then Virginia City: http://gps.motionx.com/maps/2647787a1438ec481b28bc5f6bfaba58

It's all bad road, but not technical, though there could/should be mud. Maybe snow, but this area is low and doesn't get a lot of snow or hold it long. The Mustangs hang out all along this route in droves.

Here is the route from Lagomarsino back to Geiger Grade: http://gps.motionx.com/maps/2647787a1438ec481b28bc5f6bfaf395

There is a slightly more direct way back to VC, but depending on how fast we move I might take you on the Toll Road as well.

Here is a known good Jeep trail that is a bit more technical than what I've shown so far. There are some washouts on this that make for some 3 wheeling as well as tight sections through trees that wreak havoc on roof top tents and perforated my dad's Four Wheel Camper. But the view from the summit of Mt. Davidson is AWESOME. This area is high and does hold snow, so it could be a no go. Though there isn't any snow up there now that I can see.
http://gps.motionx.com/maps/2647787a1438ec481b28bc5f6bfb3605

As for lodging, has anyone made reservations? I don't know what availability is like, I'm sure you could scrounge a room in CC, but I'm planning on dinner and drinks in VC then crashing up there. I live at the bottom of the hill in Reno, but that's not a good post-beer drive.

Either way, it'll be fun and the trip from Virginia City down to Carson City is short and should leave you guys time to get back over the hill before too late in the day.

I have videos on the Lagomarsino Petroglyphs and the Jumbo Grade Road on my YouTube channel if interested.

-M

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Hello.

Yeah if this trip is still going to happen I will try and lock down some lodging in VC.

The hotel you posted up looks interesting, and with the ghost hunting tour in the evenings on Saturday's I think she would get a big kick out of that. If not I may just try and get a room in CC for Saturday night.

Also I assume a stock 4x4 Tacoma on OEM tires should be able to do these routes? Of course mud will make it more interesting for sure.

Thanks again for the information and heading the organizing of this trip.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Hello.

Yeah if this trip is still going to happen I will try and lock down some lodging in VC.

The hotel you posted up looks interesting, and with the ghost hunting tour in the evenings on Saturday's I think she would get a big kick out of that. If not I may just try and get a room in CC for Saturday night.

Also I assume a stock 4x4 Tacoma on OEM tires should be able to do these routes? Of course mud will make it more interesting for sure.

Thanks again for the information and heading the organizing of this trip.
I'll try to get that bunk room and I can share with another.

Yep. You should be good.

-M

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Sounds good! Count myself and my kid in for this trip. You had us at "chance of seeing wild Mustangs"! Looking forward to it

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I didn't get a photo, but I saw mustangs in our neighborhood for the first time in a month yesterday.

-M

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I didn't get a photo, but I saw mustangs in our neighborhood for the first time in a month yesterday.

-M

Very cool! My daughter and I saw a small pack run across the road on our way up to Virginia City years and years ago.....but she was real young then and doesn't remember much of it. Hoping we run across a bunch this time.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Very cool! My daughter and I saw a small pack run across the road on our way up to Virginia City years and years ago.....but she was real young then and doesn't remember much of it. Hoping we run across a bunch this time.
I'm sure we will. I have a couple of routes we can hit if we don't. This time of year there is plenty of water in the high country.

-M

Reactions: Slamson00

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Well, if you haven't heard, we just got slammed by a wild storm and there has been flooding and mass hysteria and flooding.

The whole scope of this trip is going to be impassible for the next few days. There was sooooooo much rain that I imagine that the route is significantly different from what it was last season.

We are expecting more snow in the next few days with colder temps that could leave the Virginia range covered in snow by the weekend.

Stand by for more info. It is possible that the 21st will not be a good weekend for this tour.

-M

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Well, if you haven't heard, we just got slammed by a wild storm and there has been flooding and mass hysteria and flooding.

The whole scope of this trip is going to be impassible for the next few days. There was sooooooo much rain that I imagine that the route is significantly different from what it was last season.

We are expecting more snow in the next few days with colder temps that could leave the Virginia range covered in snow by the weekend.

Stand by for more info. It is possible that the 21st will not be a good weekend for this tour.

-M

Thanks for the update.

Yeah I was just wondering about this with all the rain that is going through California to Nevada these past days and through this next week. There has already been some serious flooding, and with a stock vehicle I would rather play it safe than sorry. I have already reserved my hotel rooms to go on this trip but if there is any question to the conditions of the routes used on this trip I am all for postponing for another weekend. I should have no problem getting my money back on hotel rooms as long as I cancel by Jan 18th. Any updates you can provide going forward before then will be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I don't think I'll be able to scout it at all with the weather coming in this week. I think it would be best to postpone into February at least.

-M

Reactions: O.Dfj